Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Generator advice 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Not a 100% sure but I think if the carb gets gunked you might be out of luck because the propane still runs through the carb.

thats what i was more or less asking. i'll probably drain the fuel i put in a few days ago and hook up a propane tank and test it out again. then keep the 40 gallons of fuel i have on hand just in case. it's got stabilizer in it and in approved containers. already debating whether the expense was worth it. lmao

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take a much more low key approach. I have a 2200 watt Honda. It's quiet enough the tweakers can't hear it. It powers my fridge, freezer, and pellet stove using extension cords. It runs about 8 hours on a gallon of gas.
For my situation, a minimalist approach meets my needs fairly well.
The cons are obvious. It only powers a few things. The biggest thing I miss when the power goes out for more than a day is hot water, which would take a pretty substantial generator setup to run. It's also not a "hands off" system. Power goes out I gotta go run the extension cords.
For me, the fuel is a big deal. How much do I want to keep, store, and maintain. Trying to find an open station, then waiting in long lines to fill cans every few days is time consuming and expensive. I can run it for close to a week on a few 5 gallon cans.
My biggest concern in a power outage is the fridge and freezer. I don't want to throw all that stuff away.
I like being off the radar during an outage. Noise of a big generator or a fully lit up house can draw attention that I really don't want.
It's portable enough I can use it for other stuff if needed.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Not a 100% sure but I think if the carb gets gunked you might be out of luck because the propane still runs through the carb.

thats what i was more or less asking. i'll probably drain the fuel i put in a few days ago and hook up a propane tank and test it out again. then keep the 40 gallons of fuel i have on hand just in case. it's got stabilizer in it and in approved containers. already debating whether the expense was worth it. lmao

My small engine mechanic said that with small engines that stabil type stuff is what lines his pockets. Fine for car size engines but bad for the smaller ones.

I also use ethanol free gas in my mowers.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:27 pm

Propane. Or diesel. If gasoline is a must, rotate the stock through your vehicle(s) every 90 days. Ethanol free still has stabilization issues.

If you are on natural gas there are units available.

Cummins is better than Generac however Generac has product lines that are better than others within their umbrella—they are the MTD of homeowner engine driven power generation.

There was a 1971 ILI 30kw powered by a Hercules 4 cyl for $700 on CL recently. That genset will last another 100 years. Don’t be afraid of older industrial types.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like I'm back in the market for a generator. The power company won't hook the power back up to the house I'm working on till it gets inspected, but I can't get it inspected till I complete most of the work...

Costco has a couple that are in the ballpark of what I need for $1k, but I'm hesitant about both

The Generac is 8500W, perfect for what I need size wise. The part I'm hesitant about is that it's fuel injected. It has a battery to power the fuel pump and electric start. It also has a pull cord as an auxiliary but if the battery is dead the fuel pump isn't going to pressurize the injector so I don't see the point. It also has several bad reviews on Costco.com. People can be stupid, so I take those with a grain of salt, but there are quite a few
https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/xt-series/xt8500efi

They also have a Firman that's tri-fuel (also $100 less in the store). Runs on gas, propane, or natural gas. It only puts out 7500W on gas, less than that on the other fuels. It would work for what I need but just barely. I had a 7500W before and it was 'just' enough. Down side is that I've never heard of Firman. is has some negative reviews but not nearly as many as the Generac. We have natural gas at the house so it would be nice to switch it over to that if the power goes out and we need to run
https://firmanpowerequipment.com/products/t07571

Thoughts? Snide remarks?

Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:31 pm

Look at Champion generators, Camp8ng World has them. Love mine.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 pm

RocketScott wrote:
Looks like I'm back in the market for a generator. The power company won't hook the power back up to the house I'm working on till it gets inspected, but I can't get it inspected till I complete most of the work...

Costco has a couple that are in the ballpark of what I need for $1k, but I'm hesitant about both

The Generac is 8500W, perfect for what I need size wise. The part I'm hesitant about is that it's fuel injected. It has a battery to power the fuel pump and electric start. It also has a pull cord as an auxiliary but if the battery is dead the fuel pump isn't going to pressurize the injector so I don't see the point. It also has several bad reviews on Costco.com. People can be stupid, so I take those with a grain of salt, but there are quite a few
https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/xt-series/xt8500efi

They also have a Firman that's tri-fuel (also $100 less in the store). Runs on gas, propane, or natural gas. It only puts out 7500W on gas, less than that on the other fuels. It would work for what I need but just barely. I had a 7500W before and it was 'just' enough. Down side is that I've never heard of Firman. is has some negative reviews but not nearly as many as the Generac. We have natural gas at the house so it would be nice to switch it over to that if the power goes out and we need to run
https://firmanpowerequipment.com/products/t07571

Thoughts? Snide remarks?

From the short conversations we have had you are one of the most resourceful people I have met on this site; have you thought about an engine driven welder?

The newer Miller or Lincoln machines after about 2008 supply clean enough power to run electronics. A Miller Bobcat with the fully enclosed body can operate to 9.5KW continuous, not to mention its capabilities after you are hooked up to the grid.

I purchased a Trailblazer 302 diesel at an auction for 26 cents on the dollar in 2007 and have not looked back. Manual transfer switch it is mounted on a small trailer with an air compressor and tool boxes. Not the most quiet device but with a long enough cord, and you seem to enjoy engine noise haha.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M1031

6.2L diesel powered PTO driven 12KW gen with 3 phase... :D

Attachment:
M1031NP205GenAirCompB.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Best advice I am aware with dual is that you keep it on propane for the simplicity of ease and benefit of not worrying about fuel gumming up works.

If you need to switch because you are running out of propane etc. You power down. Take off a load and turn off, let cool a bit and then switch fuel type on generator and then turn on using the other fuel (gas/diesel). Whatever it’s design.

For storage best to go back onto propane and then do your sequence per your owners manual for storage.

This is my standard practice, duel fuel gensets always run on propane, gasoline is backup. Few times I have ran on gasoline when it gets low on fuel I remove the load and let it run dry, then remove float bowl and a few quick shots of carb cleaner and put the bowl back on. Has worked very well, yes propane does flow through the carb on mine but even if jets in the carb clog up the open venturie throat of the carb free flows the propane and engine continues to run on

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:13 am

So now I have learned that my gas line and meter is not big enough to handle the add-on of a back up generator. Apparently I am also sharing a line with my neighbor. So in reaching out to Puget Sound energy I was quoted approximately $5000 to put in the appropriate gas line and meet her as well as give me my own line separate from my neighbors. This on top of the $10-$15,000 for purchasing and installation of a generator.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At his point is it more feasible (granted it’s zoned and you have enough property) to use a dedicated home 500 a 1,000 gallon tank? Rough cost $1,500 - $2,500.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PSE has been going through Tacoma separating lines like yours. My neighbor's meter used to be fed from the line going down my side of the driveway till last year. Didn't cost use a thing to change it. Guessing the city made them do it so I'm surprised they are trying to charge you

Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
At his point is it more feasible (granted it’s zoned and you have enough property) to use a dedicated home 500 a 1,000 gallon tank? Rough cost $1,500 - $2,500.

I have a 500 gal propane tank that I rent for about $75 a year.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Really? Where from?
I’ll have to check my zoning. It is within city limits so I am not hopeful

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ERDoc wrote:
Really? Where from?
I’ll have to check my zoning. It is within city limits so I am not hopeful

He's in Oklahoma ERdoc....so that really doesn't apply here. I don't think they even have "Zoning" there.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next