Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 surplus gas masks? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am considering some gas masks post COVID for the next round of bullshit, whether it be a nasty volcanic explosion or something biological.
I've gotten some mass emails that have some mil surplus masks available. Anyone have any personal knowledge with them?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2224552

https://www.keepshooting.com/polish-mp5-gas-mask.html

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're going to shell out some clams, get one you know will work rather than take a chance with novelty item.

https://bestsurvival.org/mira-safety-cm ... sk-review/

https://bestsurvival.org/best-gas-mask/

The Avon M50?
This kit is the shiznit. Gotta decon your mask or toss it. Wear glasses?
I think these are surplus (read description. Some accessories are used,. Some parts are New Old-stock) That their price INCLUDING a bunch of kit is below Gall's price for just a new mask says a lot

https://www.aeonfawkes.com/FM50-M50-RES ... s-mask.htm

The Mira is probably as good for getting out of an area where a train derailed and spilled or etc. Def cheepur.
Though, they've gone up.

https://www.mirasafety.com/products/cm- ... _f24f31061

The cm-7m is dual lens and better suited for use with :AR15firing:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thing about a protective mask is that even though they are noted as "biological", you have to take off your mask sometimes, and it is difficult to know when you are in a hazardous area. It's hard enough with chemical threats with a chemical detector.

I've had to service a number of the M-17 series when I was a private and later on to where I am confident of them, and even current ones with fresh filters, properly fitted, but the filters go out too. Same for M-40 and later M-50 series.

Lots of current ones out there would be good for riot control agents, given fresh, non-training, filters. But upon contact, you might/probably have to change out filters.

But as Mark Koernke says, "how long can you hold your breath?"

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:11 am

You better make sure you can breath though them before dumping a bunch of cash. I have a damn good respirator but I cant breathe through it so I had to buy a hooka if I want to paint much.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a ton of Israeli PP (positive pressure) systems for cheap, that consist of a blower fan of which the filter attaches to, a couple D batteries, and a hose with std 40mm threads that can thread into nearly any mask.... for those who can't handle breathing in one....

Also, stay away from older U.S. 40mm filters in the tin cans.. Some are known to have dangerous levels of metals in them that can lead to serious health issues if actually inhaled..

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy once, cry once. Get a good, new, quality mask if you actually want protection. There are plenty of masks, which have already been mentioned, that would serve you far better than the older surplus stuff. The newer low resistance masks, which are easier to breath in, are very nice, especially if you’re actual running or doing any serious movement while wearing the things.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All you guys clean shaven? I scored a deal on some Israeli masks this last year. But I'll be damned if I'm clean shaven for a good seal when the time comes. A whole tub of Vaseline isn't going help me get a seal.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought an israeli and like it. Yes, I'm clean shaven for now.

Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What filters? How many did you get?
I'm leaning towards a new Mira Safety mask.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased several expired ones off ebay for general painting, etc. Only had 1 out of about ?6? be bad. Have cracked one open for paint use and it's something I wish I knew about years ago. Zero fumes.

If you are really interested I can take some photos.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos would be appreciated :thumbsup2:

FJB

Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gas Mask and filter pictures.
Don't have the details on the Israeli mask but it works.
I would NOT suggest a polish MP5. I bought one and adjusting the straps is a total pain. (not pictured)
The Sperian mask is nice, good visibility. If I was going to pick one over all it would be this.

CFF3 filters are old French production. Opened one for paint use and it worked just fine.
Opened an Israeli filter as well for paint work. zero fumes. I'll keep them long after they no longer hold vapor for work in the attic or sanding. Should work for volcanic ash as well. (That's the point of me having them)
As someone on a youtube video stated, the Israeli's assume they will use their gear, so it works. icon_eek

the multicolor filter that expired in 2010 is a Drager (a umlaut) I have not opened one yet.

Gas masks and their filters are huge rabbit hole to fall down into.
Just know Russian standards are not compatible with NATO. Don't mix them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:32 am

If you can get a tight seal, and the filter is of hepa quality you should be good...I can talk about micron levels ect all day. In the end having one is better than not....just remember if you are in the market research the filters! And what they are rated for!! And yes you will need to be clean shaven for a proper seal unless you run a positive pressure papr

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]