Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Greenhouses! Talk, Info, Pics 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I'm a little late to get to it this year, but think I am snagging a greenhouse this weekend. Have to get the site prepped ASAP obviously. Going to be tricky with such wet weather, and thebstart of baseball and racing seasons, but I digress.....
So which ones do you all have? What upgrades did you do? How sid they work? Whats your fround prep like? How do you water? Pics and links would be a big bonus.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember Arisaka’s Taj Magreenhouse?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Well, I'm a little late to get to it this year, but think I am snagging a greenhouse this weekend. Have to get the site prepped ASAP obviously. Going to be tricky with such wet weather, and thebstart of baseball and racing seasons, but I digress.....
So which ones do you all have? What upgrades did you do? How sid they work? Whats your fround prep like? How do you water? Pics and links would be a big bonus.

I have an inkling that at some point a GH will become more of a need that just a want for us. Fancy way of agreeing: I have the same questions!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shamefully, we are looking at this one. From what I can tell, its a solid, well made greenhouse. With a few upgrades, it turns into a great greenhouse. I need to do some YT and Google research. Seems there is a good bit of info what to do to make it better.
"10 ft. x 12 ft. Greenhouse with 4 Vents" https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-gard ... 93358.html

We have a local Greenhouse store in Mount Vernon, but can't even touch any of their products for over double the price of that one.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Remember Arisaka’s Taj Magreenhouse?

That was a Taj-magreenhouse. Built with wood milled by OG and fully powered, it's the Greenhouse of dreams. :bow:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Shamefully, we are looking at this one. From what I can tell, its a solid, well made greenhouse. With a few upgrades, it turns into a great greenhouse. I need to do some YT and Google research. Seems there is a good bit of info what to do to make it better.
"10 ft. x 12 ft. Greenhouse with 4 Vents" https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-gard ... 93358.html

We have a local Greenhouse store in Mount Vernon, but can't even touch any of their products for over double the price of that one.

Meh. My stepdad bought that in 2020. It’s was a PITA to put together at first, there is a method to it through. Some parts were janky and 1 of the top vent/windows still doesn’t work right. The hardest part was the foundation and figuring out what the instructions are trying to tell you.

His got a giant Wasp Nest in last year, that was fun to remove. I haven’t seen what it looks like lately. I’ll take some pics if I goto my parents house later.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wilmermj wrote:
KeystoneCowboy wrote:

Meh. My stepdad bought that in 2020. It’s was a PITA to put together at first, there is a method to it through. Some parts were janky and 1 of the top vent/windows still doesn’t work right. The hardest part was the foundation and figuring out what the instructions are trying to tell you.

His got a giant Wasp Nest in last year, that was fun to remove. I haven’t seen what it looks like lately. I’ll take some pics if I goto my parents house later.

I'm more than happy look at other options if there are suggestions.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given that even the best greenhouse is gonna grow funk and unless in the correct setting does not add property value. IOW could be thought of as a temporary structure.

Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:18 am

You might check with freecycle for windows and slider doors and build it yourself. That harbor freight thing sure does not look like it would handle much wind or snow.

Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://seattle.craigslist.org/search/s ... greenhouse

I bought a kit from a guy in Castle Rock years ago for under $1k. It was larger than I really needed since I was doing starters. Neighbor has hers heated all year to grow coffee. Depends on the amount of money, time, expertise you have. Analyze the space you need. Seems prices have gone way up due to their usage in cannabis farming. Takes some maintenance, since weeds grow like crazy in there unless you keep them under control somehow. And weather takes a toll on wood here of course. Hinged openings were my biggest challenge. Not for storage, temps in there will wreck anything non-organic.

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:

We put one of those in 10 years ago back when they were $599.
We have been pretty happy with it. There are couple things that are not great, but remember its pretty cheap. Its only as good as the person installing it.

1 The door slider channel does not work great if small bits of gravel etc are in the groove.
2 Buy the automatic (wax filled cylinders) roof vent openers.
3 Put the foundation together on a LEVEL site. VERY IMPORTANT. We buried ours in 4 inches of 5/8minus gravel to set it like concrete.
4 Build your benches inside INDEPENDENT of the green house itself.
5 I wish it came with a handful of extra panel clips for the roof panels.

My sister has a $4000 glass greenhouse and its the same structure but with glass. It looks fancy but boils inside in the sun. The fancy hanging plant clips from her GH clip right into the HF kit. SAME structure!

We put an upper shelf around 3 sides using the wire vinyl coated closet shelving.

I hung a rubber hose with an old commercial restaurant dish washing sprayer from the ceiling peak so it almost touches the ground but hangs freely. It will reach anything in there, but hangs in the center if ya let go of it.

Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:37 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Dream big https://solargemgreenhouses.com/

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think uses: summer? You need ventilation, fans, windows, vents top/bottom
winter? you need ventilation, vents, heaters
Have water in there
have electricity in there
secure the structure to the ground - frame, cement, gravel...

The best would be to use ground heating - do some research on thermal heating and pipes in the ground.

Again, it depends on what you are going to use it for.

I've started many seeds in there, and even in the early spring, when the sun beats on it, and it gets to over 100 degrees (with fans and vents, and windows), my starts fry. When it's really cold, everything freezes and dies. Mine in polycarbonate double plastic walls -all the way around. It's a 20' x 8' Palram I ordered off Amazon. I would have done it much differently if I did more research. Like, there's NO reason to have the north side open to light. Just make it a solar greenhouse...anyway, budget and use are big deals!!

Peace

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got back from SICBA Home Show up here. A local dealer sells those. His prices are cheaper across the board than whats on the website. Had the 8x12 on display. I really liked it. Leaning towards one of those I think. Pricey, but needs nothing. Comes with everything ready to rock. No upgrades needed! Set up and install free. Would be much easier to move as well if that was ever needed.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:

Just got back from SICBA Home Show up here. A local dealer sells those. His prices are cheaper across the board than whats on the website. Had the 8x12 on display. I really liked it. Leaning towards one of those I think. Pricey, but needs nothing. Comes with everything ready to rock. No upgrades needed! Set up and install free. Would be much easier to move as well if that was ever needed.

How much?

Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next