Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cerberus Group wrote:
...and life is too short to QRP.

KG7IXT

Sage advice.

But DO learn antenna theory.

You'll be able to make an antenna for any band with some random wire.....or a piece of coax..or....

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:18 am

Yep...years ago at field day, one of our group forgot part of his slope antenna, so we finished it up with a set of jumper cables I had...worked well.

NRA Life Member

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bump. Who here plays around with APRS?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:

M1031

APRS.FI

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:

M1031

APRS.FI

Wife is complaining that I spend too much time out in the woods out of cell phone range. And she wants to be able to contact me “in case of an emergency with the kids” or what not. She found some of the newer Garmin gps systems have the ability to text. But the plans are kind of spendy in my opinion.

And I know that some radios can send SMS text via APRS.

Few questions. Can a radio with APRS SMS capabilities send a message to a cell phone, or is it just a radio to radio kinda thing? If so, can a phone send one back through the system? If so, does the person on the phone side need to be a ham operator to send a message back through APRS to the operator? And if I am capable of doing all this.... what’s a good HT that won’t break the bank or cost me a kidney to get?

Personally I could care less, but the old lady is always worried when I’m out of service. We got 3 kiddos at home(9, 6, and 9 months). Just trying to find a way to keep the lady happy and not cost me a extra chunk of change every month.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:

M1031

APRS.FI

Wife is complaining that I spend too much time out in the woods out of cell phone range. And she wants to be able to contact me “in case of an emergency with the kids” or what not. She found some of the newer Garmin gps systems have the ability to text. But the plans are kind of spendy in my opinion.

Few questions. Can a radio with APRS SMS capabilities send a message to a cell phone, or is it just a radio to radio kinda thing? If so, can a phone send one back through the system? If so, does the person on the phone side need to be a ham operator to send a message back through APRS to the operator? And if I am capable of doing all this.... what’s a good HT that won’t break the bank or cost me a kidney to get?

Personally I could care less, but the old lady is always worried when I’m out of service. We got 3 kiddos at home(9, 6, and 9 months). Just trying to find a way to keep the lady happy and not cost me a extra chunk of change every month.

https://smsgte.wixsite.com/smsgte/userguide

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:

M1031

APRS.FI

https://smsgte.wixsite.com/smsgte/userguide

Thanks. Now to go look at radios

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^^ What he said

Also. APRS capable radios are cheap(ish) these days....

I have the VX8 and D700, also, there are aprs apps for android..

She has her ticket, RIGHT?!

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
^^^^ What he said

Also. APRS capable radios are cheap(ish) these days....

I have the VX8 and D700, also, there are aprs apps for android..

She has her ticket, RIGHT?!

I’ll check them out. I just peeked at the anytone AT-D878
And the alinco DJ-MD5TGP.

No. That’s part of the damned problem. And she wont got get it either. I’ve barked up that tree. Would that prevent her from transmitting back to me via APRS? I can’t find anything definitive. But I’ve only just started looking

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am

Glad to see folks taking an interest in Ham Radio. Let my license lapse several years ago. General class and 'the code'.

I was lucky, my first MOS in the Army was Morse code interceptor. Personal best was 44 gpm, but that was formatted stuff.

When I got out of the Army a friend was into AR, and told me I should get a license. I bought two study books from Radio Shack, studied and went to take the test. When it came to the code portion, I asked if I could use a typewriter, went out to the car and grabbed a Army surplus IBM Selectric 2 and sat down.

Code startrd running and I started copying. Passed General class and 20 wpm code first time.

I have an HF rig, a Yaesu, a two meter handi-talk plus a mobile transciever, and two R-390 class recievers.

Attachment:
r390.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hal O'Peridol wrote:
Glad to see folks taking an interest in Ham Radio. Let my license lapse several years ago. General class and 'the code'.

I was lucky, my first MOS in the Army was Morse code interceptor. Personal best was 44 gpm, but that was formatted stuff.

When I got out of the Army a friend was into AR, and told me I should get a license. I bought two study books from Radio Shack, studied and went to take the test. When it came to the code portion, I asked if I could use a typewriter, went out to the car and grabbed a Army surplus IBM Selectric 2 and sat down.

Code startrd running and I started copying. Passed General class and 20 wpm code first time.

I have an HF rig, a Yaesu, a two meter handi-talk plus a mobile transciever, and two R-390 class recievers.

Attachment:
r390.jpg
Wow, that's some speed. You know it's no longer required anymore right?

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Yes I do, kind of a shame though, but time marches on. After the training for Morse code interceptor, I was assigned to a field station where I got to copy code 8 hours a day 5+ days a week for two years, so it was easy to get good and fast. I need to crack the books and get licensed again. Got a spot in mt garage to turn into a 'shack'.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:19 am

Ordered a couple Baofeng UV5R 5w radios. Don’t know anything about radios. They are cheap enough that I’m willing to give them a try. I’m sure it’s all simple, but I’m starting with zero knowledge. Any “for dummies” resources you guys can point me at to begin my education would be appreciated.

So starting September 30th they can’t sell these anymore?

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kick start my heart wrote:
Ordered a couple Baofeng UV5R 5w radios. Don’t know anything about radios. They are cheap enough that I’m willing to give them a try. I’m sure it’s all simple, but I’m starting with zero knowledge. Any “for dummies” resources you guys can point me at to begin my education would be appreciated.

So starting September 30th they can’t sell these anymore?

???????

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next