Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Are you prepared? Just say no. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.king5.com/news/local/disaste ... /458600122

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps one in ten thousand (outside the Amish maybe) are prepared to the point where their standard of living wouldn't drop during and right after a major disaster.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to hijack a thread, but even EOC (Emergency Ops Centers) in the area, know that they aren't either.

What's even scarier is, many of the people that run the Operation Centers for some of the biggest Cities & Counties, don't even live in their own cities and counties...

So, in the event of an earthquake or other catastrophe, the person with the most training and knowledge, who is being paid for their experience, and to lead, won't be there when the spit hits the fan.....

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bring it on, it will clean out that cesspool

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Well. see now here's an interesting scenario.

I've got an aunt and uncle that are hippy types. Totally self sufficient and living off the land with a well and plenty of livestock. They're a 20 minute drive but well hidden from mainstream society. They hate guns (shocker) but I can provide the kind of protection they need while they provide sustenance.

Is that prepared? They're family. They wouldn't turn me away. And I would be content to do the "dirty work" that they'd shy away from. Should I rely on what would be a mutually beneficial relationship or plan my own way?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:

I've got an aunt and uncle that are hippy types. Totally self sufficient and living off the land with a well and plenty of livestock. They're a 20 minute drive but well hidden from mainstream society. They hate guns (shocker) but I can provide the kind of protection they need while they provide sustenance.

Is that prepared? They're family. They wouldn't turn me away. And I would be content to do the "dirty work" that they'd shy away from. Should I rely on what would be a mutually beneficial relationship or plan my own way?

Hell ya, that's a good fall back plan to have especially if they have a constant water source.

Ill play devils advocate here:

A 20 minute drive could end up being a long ass walk if needed. How much stuff could you really carry without drawing attention?

I always prepare in the frame of mind that Im staying put, until' I cant stay put. Whether fires, destroyed buildings etc, plans always change. Its good to have a 2nd option.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

L_O_G wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Hell ya, that's a good fall back plan to have especially if they have a constant water source.

Ill play devils advocate here:

A 20 minute drive could end up being a long ass walk if needed. How much stuff could you really carry without drawing attention?

I always prepare in the frame of mind that Im staying put, until' I cant stay put. Whether fires, destroyed buildings etc, plans always change. Its good to have a 2nd option.

Yeah, travel is definitely the weak link there. They're only accessible by 1 road and I have a 4x4 but don't trust it for the kind of terrain crossing that might be required. On the other hand my folks have a 50' boat with 500 gallons fuel and 300 fresh water. That's another option but a longer drive.

And I completely agree with the "what if roads aren't passable" scenario. Maybe time to work on the "bug in" option.

What are you guys planning?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count on yourself.

Some low-key folks have formed small groups & even bought land together as a back-up.

Bugging out sounds good , but where? Plus, millions of others will do the same. What about roads? Gas?

Everyone gonna live off the land ? How long will 30 million deer feed 300 million people?

There are lots of websites about this stuff, Survivalistboards being one of them.

Start small....

3 days of supplies, then 5, then 7, 2 weeks, a month, 3 months, 6.....

It's not like a savings account will give you any interest, so just take that money & invest in things you will ultimately need & use anyway, and just rotate them.....

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wells are prone to fouling, excessive siltation or even drying up when earthquakes disrupt...welll....the earth!

And don't forget the power to run the pump.

Availability of alternative power, manual pumps and storage of water are still concerns for well owners.

Mike, have you discussed with the hippies your intention to show up there? They have friends and the other members of the family could easily overwhelm their resources. Planning and coordination (permission) are important.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read that in historic examples, people that tend to survive and weather what would otherwise be cut throat, apocalyptic conditions, are the ones that form small groups or semi tightly knit bands of individuals with varied skill sets and assets. The lone wolves were the first to perish. It kind of makes sense.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I watch Walking Dead. I'm ready!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife showed the neighbor our food storage........ :blackcloud1: Guess who wont make the driveway when STHF.

In all seriousness, I am a bug in scenario as long as I can be. I have small kids so a bug out would be potentially slow and problematic. Not to mention we have limited options to get out of town. Highway 2? That shit is a cluster just for weekend traffic. Sitting in a line of cars is not where I want to be when shit gets bad.

I don't want to see hungry people hurting, but I know I can't feed the unprepared. I don't want to hurt anyone either, but I won't let my family get hurt by those that are willing to do that.

My biggest fear, which many in our state are dealing with now... Fire. Can't bug in with that.

One big thing that is overlooked about prepping is sanitation. If/when the water stops flowing, no toilets. Imagine a whole city shitting outside. Short term would not be much of a problem, but long term could see a lot of bacterial problems.

So to the original question.... No. Not prepared enough.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tannardog wrote:
My wife showed the neighbor our food storage........ :blackcloud1: Guess who wont make the driveway when STHF.

In all seriousness, I am a bug in scenario as long as I can be. I have small kids so a bug out would be potentially slow and problematic. Not to mention we have limited options to get out of town. Highway 2? That shit is a cluster just for weekend traffic. Sitting in a line of cars is not where I want to be when shit gets bad.

I don't want to see hungry people hurting, but I know I can't feed the unprepared. I don't want to hurt anyone either, but I won't let my family get hurt by those that are willing to do that.

My biggest fear, which many in our state are dealing with now... Fire. Can't bug in with that.

One big thing that is overlooked about prepping is sanitation. If/when the water stops flowing, no toilets. Imagine a whole city shitting outside. Short term would not be much of a problem, but long term could see a lot of bacterial problems.

So to the original question.... No. Not prepared enough.

Truth! without electricity we go back 130 years without soap we go back 1000 years. Learn to make soap or store lots of it. Bacterial infections can get serious in a hurry without the means to keep clean.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have soap sealed and stored. Two cases of BIC lighters for fire.

Decent amount of food.

Water is my weakness. Need better and more storage. Not being addressed - so I am NOT ready.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm prepared to last about 3 weeks on my current supply of food, water, and fuel sources. I don't really have the space for much more than that. The biggest hole in my preps is medical supplies and training. I have some experience with traumatic wound care, but I'm not well-equipped to deal with it. I also don't have anything to treat infections. Those are the things I need to work on.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next