Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 I need ideas: Shelf stable foods, Vacuum jars/sealing/meals 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the meal in a jar is awesome idea...Things like rice, dehydrated chicken and broccoli, in a sealed jar, would make a good quick meal. Dehydrated beef, green pepper, rice, etc. Not the best tasting but somewhat nutritious and shelf stable.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I think the meal in a jar is awesome idea...Things like rice, dehydrated chicken and broccoli, in a sealed jar, would make a good quick meal. Dehydrated beef, green pepper, rice, etc. Not the best tasting but somewhat nutritious and shelf stable.

As long as it's dehydrated, there should also be no problem with heat/cold cycles in the truck.

And you'll have the jars, to drink out of, collect water, or store other stuff in, if need be.

Bring along the mityvac, and the sealer, and you'll have infinitely resealable vacuum storage.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed May 02, 2018 7:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3 months of food storage in jars is going to take up a ton of space.

Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:

This is true.

I may just have to keep ingredients in sealed jars and mix as needed.

It's all a WIP

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed May 02, 2018 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could store in vacuum bags as Mr. Selador suggested, then move to a heat capable container for adding the hot water.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed May 02, 2018 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:

Good point.
TechnoWeenie wrote:
This is true.

I may just have to keep ingredients in sealed jars and mix as needed.

It's all a WIP
jukk0u wrote:
You could store in vacuum bags as Mr. Selador suggested, then move to a heat capable container for adding the hot water.

Not exactly what I said. but exactly what I was thinking after reading, and agreeing with the above.

Vacuum seal everything in bags at home. Take a few jars with you, and the sealer for them. Use from the bag, then seal the remainder in a jar.

You could even put enough for a meal, into a jar, put in enough water... Then close the lid, and just wait for it to rehydrate, if you can't outright cook something. Or do that, and put the jar in the sun, or on top of the engine, etc...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed May 02, 2018 1:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you prepping your "bug out" vehicle? Or planning to live in your 5 ton with no refridge?

Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
cook.... on top of the engine, etc...

Manifold meat!

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed May 02, 2018 3:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Are you prepping your "bug out" vehicle? Or planning to live in your 5 ton with no refridge?

One in the same. Heh.

I plan on doing small upgrades to the truck as time and funds permit.

One of the things on my list is to convert a chest freezer into a chest refrigerator and that will knock down the consumption pretty low.

Essentially, if I have one hour of good sunlight on the solar panels that I plan to install, even during the winter where it's overcast, it will put enough juice back into the system to offset what the refrigerator used in the prior day. I intend to have backup for an entire week. The 24 volt battery bank is also going to be tied to the 24 volt alternator for the vehicle, so at any point I can start the truck and engage a transfer switch, which will connect the alternator to the house batteries. Allowing the house batteries to be charged by the alternator.

That's all the good 6 Plus months down the road though..

I'm homeless, jobless, and technically living in a van, because the Army calls this an expansible van. So, maybe I can pull up near the Puyallup River, then I can be a man living in a van down by the river. LOL

If it was just survival, I would go with it ultra high protein ultra high fat product like pemmican.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an update...

1 month in being 'homeless'..

My menu, or lack thereof, has consisted primarily of....

Bran bar in the morning... Like Belvita.

I bought a 200 pack of small jelly cups that need no refrigeration, peanut butter, and bread.. All of which require no refrigeration... So I've been eating a lot of pb+j....

Packets of tuna...

The odd can of Bush's beans, or ravioli..

I was eating a bunch of canned corn and green beans... Until I realized 1 can is half my sodium intake.. So much for healthy vegetables...I'll have to look for low sodium varieties next time I go shopping.

$3.49 prepackaged salads at Winco, some with egg, others with italian meats...

I bought a 30 pack of single serve chips, so no more killing a 10oz bag because it's there... I just grab ond or 2 to kill my urge to snack.

As far as water goes... I got a bunch of water flavor enhancers that use no artificial sweeteners... Just Stevia.. And a couple 'bad' ones with artificial sweeteners... But the variety had kept me satisfied with an odd soda here and there... Strangely... I find myself binge drinking... Like I forget to drink all day then all the sudden I wanna down 3 16.9oz bottles at once..... Not abnormal for me to kill 5 bottles between say 1900 and 0000

And... I'm losing weight.... Which is good..

Cooking? Lol. Everything has been eaten cold... But putting a can in my dash for an hour or so heats it up to a decent temp.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where are you hanging out?

(roughly, not specifically...if I wanted to donate some food)

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3