Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Neighbors and a disaster... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
Who else is planning on raiding the neighbors? Will you wait until they vacate or will this take place regardless of occupancy?

I don't care who you are. Friend or foe. If I catch you 'raiding' a place you know is occupied. Either you will disappear, or I will.

Amen.

Mon May 28, 2018 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PERSEC/OPSEC (It falls under both) .... If your neighbors know what you have, you're doing it wrong.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
PERSEC/OPSEC (It falls under both) .... If your neighbors know what you have, you're doing it wrong.

Some yes, but a good observant, 2A friendly neighbor who works from home who happens to be an ex Marine is better than any security system available. I love mine!

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
Who else is planning on raiding the neighbors? Will you wait until they vacate or will this take place regardless of occupancy?

I don't care who you are. Friend or foe. If I catch you 'raiding' a place you know is occupied. Either you will disappear, or I will.

Because in the end if you're not doin' right, then what's the point.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am

danoh wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
I have a database of Mormons in my area.
They store food for me.

"This" Mormon is gonna be a handful for you. Over 50% (in my area) will be ready for "visitors". I gaurendamntee it.

You said it first.

I have known several Mormons in my life and some have been good friends. You think you're gonna raid them, well they will split up your gear just like I will. I'm figuring out ways to deal with the carcasses of a goodly number of very foolish people when SHTF

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capn Blood wrote:
danoh wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
They store food for me.

"This" Mormon is gonna be a handful for you. Over 50% (in my area) will be ready for "visitors". I gaurendamntee it.

You said it first.

I have known several Mormons in my life and some have been good friends. You think you're gonna raid them, well they will split up your gear just like I will. I'm figuring out ways to deal with the carcasses of a goodly number of very foolish people when SHTF

Several open trenches that are allegedly French stains work in progress serve very nicely as hidden during zones and escape routes. The ends of which are easily back filled - who can say what has been covered over in the process?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So a few points to this thread...

1) if you think humanity will shine during a true prolonged disaster. Please know only the strong and strong willed will have any chance. And to find a good group is KEY.

2) the Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints aka Morman’s is steep in disaster preparardness. Self defense is always a question of personal choice but this group is well networked and focused on disaster planning. I am quite sure they will not be a soft target as some may evaluate them to be.

3) lastly lessons learned. When it comes to talking there is a difference to when it gets “real”. Many people talk (because it’s easy) but when it comes down to it... it’s almost always a different story.
http://www.tv.com/shows/the-twilight-zo ... ter-12652/

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to keep track of the responses in threads like this to guide my interactions...

anyhoo, so, I went to the annual neighborhood Crimmas party last night (and had my annual few ounces of scotch - yum) but in speaking with the neighbors I found:

-at least 6 homes in 10 were gun owning households (I didn't ask for a count, just discerned this through conversation)
-of the gun owners, they were quite active in the shooting sports and while I didn't discover their actual level of voting participation, my assumption, given their level of knowledge about the initiative leads me to believe they vote/voted.
-2 of the women (in separate households) were knowledgeable shooters
-and one guy, a vet, went to the Mardon shoot at Ft. Lewis and got to shoot lots of cool guns!

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm friends with my neighbors. In fact, I go shooting with my neighbors to the north. They've already said, let's join forces if SHTF.

Neighbors to the south, not sure of their situation. I figure we'd need more than my small family to protect our property 24x7. While food supplies would suffer, having 7-8 people would make me more comfortable.

We have creeks that run year round and water filters, while that would suck and require a lot of time, it could work.

I wish I knew more about which plants are safe to eat in my yard. Those edible weeds like dandelions might taste pretty good when the food stores run out.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My one neighbor who was a prepper moved to the other side of the State. I've got a new neighbor a few doors down who set up a beam, so I'm guessing he's a HAM. He's also an engineer. However, he's not real interested in socializing.

The other neighbors probably aren't going to be much help, so I figure I'm on my own.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have ran into my neighbors on each side of me up at the Medford pit behind our houses when I have gone shooting. The neighbor to my west is a great guy and has used his tractor when we have been snowed in to dig our cars out and when the power is gone out came over to see if we needed a generator because he has "extras" just in case. I have a feeling he would be a good person to partner up with. The neighbor to my east keeps an eye on our place as we do for him. I had made a deal with a friend whose wife did not want him to spend money on guns to take care of our lawn all year and I would give him a firearm he wanted since he is more like a brother than a friend. The first time he came to mow the lawn my I was not home and he has keys to my house my neighbor was right there to see who was at my house in a strange truck. So I think these 2 neighbors and myself would make a stong hold at the end of our road. However the neighbor to our south is sketchy her father bought the home for her so she would move out of his house. She has multiple sketchy people living with her and does not have trash pick up they just throw everything in their back yard and once I got their water bill in my mailbox at first I was like WTF!!! how could I have an $1100 water bill it is usually less than 70 bucks, until I saw the address was hers. We all keep an eye on the people from that house.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The issue in my neck of the woods isn't the idiot neighbors, it's the city of 250,000 to the south. Everyone out here has weapons and most have food. Some have too much food e.g. a cattle ranch that's not self supporting.

There are some old farmers and ranchers out here that would welcome someone that can shoot straight. Being a hired gun is not as good as being the boss, but it sure beats dying hungry in a ditch.

Being in the National Guard complicates my preparedness in some ways, but this is a good 'hood to be in when TSHTF.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
They store food for me.

You said it first.

The Momons are extremely helpful in assisting you to prepare for a disaster.

You can attend prep courses, you vcan dowload the LDS Disater Preparedness manual, and some locations will let people come by on certain days, sell and divvy up #10 cans for long term storage, and all kinds of things.

Part of the reasoning behind this is, the more that are prepared, the less there will be to come after their stuff.

Me thinks, however, that once it's about survival, you will have already gotten all the help you're gonna get.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3