Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:22 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lessons From the Paradise CA Fires? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, it’s poor management of the brush in a wildland environment. Especially near box canyons. Don’t build your house near the top of a box canyon, unless you take adequate precautions.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

an earthquake doesn't come with such warning and time to react. I wonder about reaction time during a volcanic eruption? (Do you all carry a respirator and/or dust masks in you cars?)

I've experienced three "killer earthquakes" in the PNW since the late 40's. Yes, they don't give much warning other than the first shaking. One does have time to react and the recommended reaction is to find something strong to shelter under. WORST thing to do is to run outside where you now get hit by falling building pieces like the chimney, brick/concrete, etc.

Also survived the Mt St Helens eruption. With volcanic eruptions if you are close you don't have to worry. Good chance you're dead. If you live in a river valley or delta area go to higher ground and don't delay. As for having masks/respirators on hand, OK, if you want to. A simple pair of ski goggles and a T-Shirt can work quite well at first to get away from the ash cloud.

As for volcano's, one thing that is NOT recommended is going to watch as the eruption starts. I lost a very good friend when St. Helen's popped. He and his wife took their motor home up to the end of a road and were last seen watching the main eruption while standing on top of it. They were never found.

One can try and prepare for every possibility but eventually all the stuff you accumulate to do so will take up an ocean going container to store.

Basics like warm clothes, tarp, blanket(s), dried and vacuum packed "survival bars", some basic survival tools, "fire", and bottled water can fit in a backpack and be ready to grab. Those items will allow one to survive most anything they live through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2