Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Earthquake Prep Kit 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So my wife and I have things around the house for general prep and emergency situations. A wall of canned goods and other dry goods stored on shelves in the garage. Cases of water we rotate through. But my wife is freaked about what would happen in an earthquake. She sends me frequent earthquake reports of local area seismic activity. She works from home and I want to create a box that she can access for this type of disaster. I want to give it to her for Christmas. Anything I need to think of, or that you can think of regarding what I have or should have? Below if a list so far:

First aid kit with the usual suspects.
Emergency contact information locations and numbers.
Water.
Mylar blankets.
Para cord (100 ft)
Sterno. (might put in my old small white gas stove)
Matches.
MREs and water to go with.
Life Straw.
Crank flashlight radio combo.
Compressed towels.
Small ziplock of dog food.
TP.
Lip Balm.
Candles.
Box of crayons. (I have little kids and can double as candles.)

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget comfort items for females and children, as well as moms' monthly "items". No way to tell whether a break in support will be a few days, weeks, or months.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

boots
n95 mask
hardhat
headlamp/batteries
gloves
wrecking bar
whistle

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flashlight
Extra batteries (preferably lithium for their long shelf life)
Deck of playing cards
SAS survival handbook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about a copy of a book with info about local edible plants? If we experience "the big one", it may be a very long time before normal food supply is restored, so being able to forage and live off the land (if/when your food supply runs out) could be extremely valuable.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm packing for up to a week where ever I am with the car, food, water, blankets, cold weather clothes and make sure I don't let the fuel gauge get below half, ect.

Roads will clog up rather quickly once people start driving after the quake, if power is out then there will be even more traffic havoc.

So in that case I want to get set for a prolonged stay where ever or as far as I can drive towards home and the main stash.

I work in the city so it will take a while,,,,,,,,

Last edited by mjw on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a bunch of friends in Anchorage, and I've put out messages to them as to what they are dealing with currently. Some is very minor, others a little more. Obviously plan for the worst, but I think I need to have a rotation of cold and warm weather gear. I'm excited about putting it together.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends where you live somewhat. For me a chainsaw and mix are a must. Keeping things charged,plenty of batteries,propane for stove and portable heater. Never let vehicles get below a quarter tank

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say go ahead and toss in the old white gas stove and some fuel. A small, backpacking stove and pot(s) would make heating food a lot easier and faster than Sterno. While one could survive on cold canned food a good way to heat food would go a long way toward lifting the spirits.

One thing to think of might be a good multi-tool in your kit so you wouldn't have to search around a dark house with no power for your normal tools. Duct tape??

Also a suitable tool for turning off the water and gas valves at the street/outside of the house.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bicycle/motorbike
cash
90 day supply of prescription meds
backpack
shelter/tent
sleeping bag

Last edited by quantsuff on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
I'd say go ahead and toss in the old white gas stove and some fuel. A small, backpacking stove and pot(s) would make heating food a lot easier and faster than Sterno. While one could survive on cold canned food a good way to heat food would go a long way toward lifting the spirits.

One thing to think of might be a good multi-tool in your kit so you wouldn't have to search around a dark house with no power for your normal tools. Duct tape??

Also a suitable tool for turning off the water and gas valves at the street/outside of the house.

I approve this message. Along with those cookers, a couple of the table top cookers with butane carts. Yeah, I know - keep a box of carts on hand and just cycle them. Anyway if the road is cracked and hell's minions are released, cooking with these seems like a luxury.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Road flares

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mountain House, you may get tired of the selection but you won't go hungry.

They cook in their own bags, 1 to 1&3/4 cup boiling water per meal.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:39 pm

People always overlook CASH.

When the power goes out the banks and ATMs can't operate. Even if the bank opens back up the ATMs will be out of commission and so they'll impose withdrawal limits to prevent a run.

I lived through Hurricane Katrina so I am speaking from personal experience.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not too sure on the cash thing, only if stores would be open, and they need power on to do that, and wanting to avoid area's of looting best to be self sufficient for at least a week.
Besides, what good will cash do? Can't eat it, not worth it's weight as a fire starter, and what ever would have a price on it is going to be very expensive,,,

I think it's going to be more of a what you got to trade, food, water and blankets.

I've been watching the quakes for a couple of years now, never before have I seen triple digits for the number of quakes, the day of the big one in Alaska set the meter to 102 just in Alaska.
You may remember a few months ago there was another big quake up there and that set 98 quakes in one day in the same area, kinda weird as that large quakes on the west coast of the Americas north of south America have many more small quakes or after shocks than when the same size quake hits other regions of the world.

This last weekend was the switch over to a new EDC bag for me, no matter what I subtracted or changed out for less gear total still came to 13lbs. with a liter of water, after reading some of the accounts of road destruction and people stranded I decided to make the bag sufficient for 36hrs away from the car.

I guess I'm lucky in a way, I work in a shop that is almost as cold inside as it is outside, so I'm already dressed to endure the cold temp's, I did pick up one of the Land to Sea sub compact ultra lite umbrella's at the BF Sportco sale last week, it may be geeky but dry cold is easier than wet cold,,,,,,,,

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next