Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 When Bridges Go Down 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whenever the gang and I go shooting up to Marysville I always am encumbered with my everyday GHB and and EXTENDED GHB. My reasoning is that if I am traveling a distance farther than I can reasonably walk back home from in a full day, then the extended pack comes with me. The pack includes walking shoes and warm/water resistance clothes, the ability to filter water, emergency food bars and the ability to construct some kind of rudimentary shelter. The contents of the two bags would be sorted and combined for the long walk home.

This always draws eye-rolls and sniggering from my traveling companions.

Yet, the recent EQ in Alaska and the more recent appearance of a sink hole at a bridge crossing the Sammamish River in Kenmore caused a MAJOR headache for commuters this week I think prove these preparations are, while inconvenient at time, well worth the effort.

The sink hole blocked State Route 104 from Juanita to Kenmore. Traveling the 3 short miles from 405 and the 124th St. Exit to my house took some people (I had already made it home) 1- 1 1/2 HOURS.

A similar event, but weather related rather than mechanical, comes to mind and is the 1994 snow storm which shut down the Seattle area. I and my (ex) wife had just left the IMAX theatre and the snow was just beginning to color the sidewalks and streets. We debated going for an early dinner, but with the an eye on the snow, decided to just head home. While we made good time home, immediately on our heels Seattle came to a grinding halt and the news was replete with stories of commuters spending 10 or 12 HOURS to get home.

Our area is riddled with river, creek, gully, ravine, and salt water crossings. And our infra-structure - especially our bridges - are crumbling and vulnerable to damage.

This small event served as a reminder to plan ahead for rough travels in the face of weather or other calamitous events.

That is all. As you were.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My kit also includes a .45ACP carbine with a side folder. It's light weight and carries easily beneath my jacket. While in a pistol caliber, ammo can be found most anywhere, and the longer barrel gives me better accuracy at a reasonable distance.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is why my GHB (actually EDC for work) consists of a set of Equipment keys. I’ll take a CAT 980 and stuff your abandoned cars in the water til I can get across. :bigsmile:

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chains wrote:
This is why my GHB (actually EDC for work) consists of a set of Equipment keys. I’ll take a CAT 980 and stuff your abandoned cars in the water til I can get across. :bigsmile:

I like that! :thumbsup2:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Whenever the gang and I go shooting up to Marysville I always am encumbered with my everyday GHB and and EXTENDED GHB. My reasoning is that if I am traveling a distance farther than I can reasonably walk back home from in a full day, then the extended pack comes with me. The pack includes walking shoes and warm/water resistance clothes, the ability to filter water, emergency food bars and the ability to construct some kind of rudimentary shelter. The contents of the two bags would be sorted and combined for the long walk home.

This always draws eye-rolls and sniggering from my traveling companions.

Yet, the recent EQ in Alaska and the more recent appearance of a sink hole at a bridge crossing the Sammamish River in Kenmore caused a MAJOR headache for commuters this week I think prove these preparations are, while inconvenient at time, well worth the effort.

The sink hole blocked State Route 104 from Juanita to Kenmore. Traveling the 3 short miles from 405 and the 124th St. Exit to my house took some people (I had already made it home) 1- 1 1/2 HOURS.

A similar event, but weather related rather than mechanical, comes to mind and is the 1994 snow storm which shut down the Seattle area. I and my (ex) wife had just left the IMAX theatre and the snow was just beginning to color the sidewalks and streets. We debated going for an early dinner, but with the an eye on the snow, decided to just head home. While we made good time home, immediately on our heels Seattle came to a grinding halt and the news was replete with stories of commuters spending 10 or 12 HOURS to get home.

Our area is riddled with river, creek, gully, ravine, and salt water crossings. And our infra-structure - especially our bridges - are crumbling and vulnerable to damage.

This small event served as a reminder to plan ahead for rough travels in the face of weather or other calamitous events.

That is all. As you were.

Moral of the 1994 story: jukk0u leaves a swath of destruction in his wake. Proceed with caution.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about the flood that blocked I5 for days in the Chehalis area roughly 10 years ago. I had several people staying at my Seattle house because they couldn’t go south to get home.

Recently a high speed train fell onto I5 just North of Olympia closing all Southbound lanes for a few days.

You could find yourself stranded at any moment with no way to get home.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Morning all, as well as all of you out there I'm very aware of the geologic shifts of recent, the dramatic increase in seismic events so I upgraded my main ED, it's a basic 36hr needs, FAK, food, water, wool socks, 1 pr. anti bacterial skivies, wind up radio/flashlight/phone charger, cover, water filtering system, fire, gloves, fleece neck tube, Mora and Sig P938 & 2 spare mags.
The bag is the Movius 2.0, still has room in it for maybe more food.
The car bag is an extended stay bag with a weeks worth of food, small propane stove & propane, sleeping system, much more water, and a porta pot. (in this weather who wants to crap in the rain,,,,,)
LH9c, 4 mags and 500rds of 9.
Trauma kit
Several changes of clothing, hiking boots
I work all day in a cold environment so I am already dressed for the cold climate.

Being an old man, I also have in the car a collapsing hand truck so I can pack and move everything except the porta pot.
ok, I could but I think it would be a bit much.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not a problem if you never leave your house. :bigsmile:

I joke, but I'm half-serious. Now that we have kids (22 months and 3 months), we don't leave the house nearly as often, and when we do we generally don't go far. And because we have kids in the car, the trunk is packed full of all kinds of stuff - water, snacks, blankets, extra coats, first aid kit, flashlight, and a bunch of other crap that would be useful in an emergency. But with real young kids, I probably wouldn't even consider trekking home on foot more than about 10 miles, and I certainly wouldn't be able to carry them AND all that crap. If we get stranded further away than that, it's going to be a shit show.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:

I joke, but I'm half-serious. Now that we have kids (22 months and 3 months), we don't leave the house nearly as often, and when we do we generally don't go far. And because we have kids in the car, the trunk is packed full of all kinds of stuff - water, snacks, blankets, extra coats, first aid kit, flashlight, and a bunch of other crap that would be useful in an emergency. But with real young kids, I probably wouldn't even consider trekking home on foot more than about 10 miles, and I certainly wouldn't be able to carry them AND all that crap. If we get stranded further away than that, it's going to be a shit show.

For you, I’d suggest a CAT 740B. That’s a lot of stuff.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chains wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

For you, I’d suggest a CAT 740B. That’s a lot of stuff.

:thumbsup2:

That should be able to fit my wife's purse, too...

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be able to find room for one of these in your car, maybe convert it for a stroller,
https://www.shopterrain.com/garden-cart ... -full-gate

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I experienced the "bridges down" scenario in 1994. Had to travel to San Diego for a company convention. No traffic was going into or through LA due to near total destruction of their freeway system.

No problem, just a couple hundred mile detour starting in Bakersfield, east to Kramer Junction, then South and bypassing LA altogether. Only took a couple hours more than if we'd been able to drive through LA in their usual gridlock traffic.

The key to survival is to make sure every family member can be self sufficient long enough for all to find their way home or to a rendezvous point. Also be prepared to go "old school" and W-A-L-K.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bridge would never colapse anywhere around here..oh wait Image

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got you covered....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next