Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Emergency Survival Food choice 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Got my storage unit ripped of a few years ago and they stole my emergency supplies...

I have a house full of canned goods etc but also had some bins full of dry goods.

And cases of water.

Thinking I need to restock.

I was listening to Michael Savage last night and he uses Patriot Supply.

I was going to start with the 3 month emergency supply kit.

https://mypatriotsupply.com/cart

Anyone have an opinion good or bad about this company?

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've heard anything from "Tastes like ass" and "a lot of sodium" to "edible".

I would make that a PART of my preps, but not all.
Have fallen off from buying since just making rent has been a challenge, but I did make some stores from the Thrive products. They used to sell more of the dehydrated ingredients/foods like : Potatoes, green peas, shredded or cubed beef and etc. and you could make the meals with your own seasonings.

They have since started offering more of the prepared meals like the ones you would get from Patriot supply.

Crack a few open when you get them and tell us what you think?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should always mix in the basics.

Salt
Sugar
Vinegar
Pepper
Rice
Beans
Spices
Oil
Lard
Honey
Etc, etc

While having prepared meals is nice it’s not cost effective. The good stuff that use real meat like Mountain House is typically the top rated and should be a good benchmark to guide you.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mountain House has a ton of sodium in it too. It's made for replenishment after strenuous hiking and sweating so that's not bad in that case. But living off that stuff day after day wouldn't be so good with that amount of sodium.

A lot of the prepared meals will have a ton of sodium for preservative and taste. This is why the Thrive individual, unseasoned ingredients shine.

I would have:
A lot of the individual ingredients Kim listed, either packaged well from the grocery or from a place like Thrive or Honeyville

Some Mountain House and/or Patriot Supply

(I'd like to include but haven't yet) a case of MRE's

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like Thrive, because it has no additives, or extra sodium. When the can says "Peas", then that is the total list of ingredients usually. I usually get about $50 worth every month so it's not a big dollar amount at once.

Just because it may provide calories, doesn't mean you are going to want to eat it. Don't buy "survival food", buy stuff that you already eat on a regular basis, just get the freeze dried version. I don't have any rice, or beans stored. Why? Because I don't eat that stuff now, why the heck would I want to eat it in an emergency? As they say store what you eat, and eat what you store.

I use my freeze dried stuff all the time. It actually save me money. When ever I buy a bag of carrots for a recipe I usually use only a couple, then the rest sit forgotten in the crisper till they turn to mush. With the freeze dried I use just what I need, and the stuff lasts at least a year after opening.

I like a couple of MRE's for in the car.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We bought small amounts of items from the main suppliers, so we could sample the taste, quality of packaging, and method of manufacture before buying larger quantities. We settled on the Augason Farms #10 cans, for the quality of the food you receive and overall taste. When you compare product, you need to compare the serving sizes, calorie count, and whether the food is dehydrated or freeze dried. For us, we prefer the freeze dried foods. I added MilSpec MRE's for emergency rations while in the auto or if we have to vacate at a moments notice, since they're easier to pack on you.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started with several 55 gal barrels of water, treated with a bit of chlorine bleach. Then I added many 5 gal buckets of sugar, salt, oats, rice, beans, oatmeal and the like. All heat sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers

Then I bought quite a bit of Thrive

Had to build a big storage locker in the garage to hold it all

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since it's just me I'm now just getting the pantry cans. The number 10's are great for a family. The pantry can's may not be as cost effective per serving, but since there ends up being less waste it works out for me. The house I'm looking for here in OK will have a concrete storm shelter.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
I started with several 55 gal barrels of water, treated with a bit of chlorine bleach. Then I added many 5 gal buckets of sugar, salt, oats, rice, beans, oatmeal and the like. All heat sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers

Holy smokes! That should be a video.

A few people have mentioned Thrive. I typed in Thrive but came up with a bunch of stuff. Anyone have a link?

Member:
2nd Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Firearms Policy Coalition
Silent Majority Foundation
NRA

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a lot of Thrive. But also a lot of buckets of staples like beans and rice from a place out in McKenna. Not sure if they are still around. I had to lug those from their warehouse to my old place, then to the new one out here in E WA. While I hope to never use them, I know what I have!

Don't worry too much about water with the well and manual pump.

Out here in the wilderness, I concentrate mostly on grains and veggies since there is quite a bit of protein wandering around. Deer, elk, moose, turkey, quail, grouse, etc.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EmbraceTheEdge wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

Holy smokes! That should be a video.

A few people have mentioned Thrive. I typed in Thrive but came up with a bunch of stuff. Anyone have a link?

Here you go
https://www.thrivelife.com/all-products ... s-182.html

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Patriot is overpriced (many are). But worse than tasting like ass, some (much?) of their stuff does not re-hydrate. I suspect some of their product is seconds/reject.

Thrive is good.

I have a real mix of stuff..........

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!

Member:
2nd Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Firearms Policy Coalition
Silent Majority Foundation
NRA

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a fair amount of Patriot Supply. They used to have specials on their 72 hour kits for $9.99. I've given some of these away to families in need.

On the large kits, they tend to supply a large amount of chocolate pudding, which the family hates. Rather than buy the two week or 4 week kits, you might buy packages that you like. https://mypatriotsupply.com/search?type ... &q=72+hour

Be careful of the calories added by just sugar like chocolate pudding or hot maple cereal.

The food is okay, we've tested quite a bit of it.

A year's worth of coffee is pretty reasonable. Can't live through a disaster without coffee.
https://mypatriotsupply.com/products/fr ... coffee-720

The plastic bins are pretty nice, and stack really well. They aren't completely full, so you can add other items, or distribute items between bins.

Once you get on their email spam list, their special offers can be decent.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know I'm late to the game, but...

I did a lot of research on the survival foods.

Most were OK for a weekend or a bugout bag, but huge issues started to pop up for long term usage.

First was sodium content.. Through the roof was an understatement.

second, and most importantly, was their 'servings'.

Let's say you get a 'week' kit that has 15 'servings' of eggs.... But it comes in 3, 5 serving bags... too much for one person, but not enough for 2.... Then how are you supposed to split that up to be even to make it across 7 days? You can't. ditto with the meals. You gotta make, say, 6 servings, but in order for it to last the stated 7 days, you're only supposed to use 2 of those servings a day...

Cost is too high, as well...IMO.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next