Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:14 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Snow - lesson learned - what did you run out of? 

What did you run out of?
Gas 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Water 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Food 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Patience 76%  76%  [ 19 ]
Snacks 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Pet food 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Salt 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Sugar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Milk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bread 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 25

Snow - lesson learned - what did you run out of? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
new daddy wrote:
They skipped last weeks trash pick up here also. They posted online that they were skipping this weeks as well. The City got on them - so they are picking up at houses when they deem the roads safe. For those whose roads aren't safe, they set up two drop off locations.

They picked up my trash around 8:30 this morning.

Do or will they continue to charge you for the service?

I'm quite certain that I will be charged for all services. That's the problem with these city contracts - they got you. You can't go anywhere else. They have a rider in the city contract that says they can "postpone" pick up for unsafe conditions, so we're (I'm) done here.

This is the second time I've had Allied Waste. 12 years ago when I moved here and went to sign up, they demanded my SSN. I quizzed them and was told - we're a utility company. I politely told them to fuck off then, as none of the other utility companies were asking for SSNs. After of course, I'd explained, that no you're not a utility company.

When I lived in IL, trash pick up was round robin - there were 7 or 8 providers. Some wouldn't only do certain neighborhoods - but you called the one you wanted. If they ticked you off, you changed companies. I lucked out as I went to High School with a guy who's dad owned one of the companies. I knew them well enough that I'd been to their house (they used to throw a hell of a halloween party - in the dump truck junkyard behind their house) and knew me by name. I never had any problems. One time, I was putting siding on my house and probably had 700 pounds of trash in front of my house one day - walked down with 2 12 packs of beer when the truck rolled up - and boom - the two guy son the truck took care of it. I asked them what kind of beer they liked - and one guy said - the kind that gets cold....... Here, if you have a extra bag - they want their pound of flesh.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Patience as I stated initially. After another 10" in Dudeval, tried backing into around 20". That didn't work. High sided WRX is a lonely testament to my failed manhood.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
Needed another snow shovel. One was not enough. I used to have two, but one broke a few years ago.

I did buy some bird seed. The poor birds were seeking shelter around our front door, so we threw out some food for them.

I broke one a few years back real fast and thought I would be smart and buy an American made quality on. Yeah, it’s so heavy it will wear your ass out In no time. Someone should make a carbon fiber one.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learned I should have put together that spare parts kit for the generator. Threw a belt last light. Wife and kids were troopers and shacked up in the RV.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
mmalleck wrote:
Needed another snow shovel. One was not enough. I used to have two, but one broke a few years ago.

I did buy some bird seed. The poor birds were seeking shelter around our front door, so we threw out some food for them.

I broke one a few years back real fast and thought I would be smart and buy an American made quality on. Yeah, it’s so heavy it will wear your ass out In no time. Someone should make a carbon fiber one.

Simple flat shovel from Lowes. Same size as a pointed shovel. But flat.

Usually used for gravel.

Takes a bite of snow that is big enough to be satisfactory.

Bite is still small enough, you aren't breaking your back with every bite/toss. Plus you don't wear out as readily.

Also bites into snow that turned to slush then froze, better than a "snow" shovel.

And you can use it like a chisel to break big pieces off. Try that with a snow shovel, and you'll quickly break it.

Best part... Ten bucks!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too slow. Bought a tractor.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:

:nicepif: :Init:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 pm

Almost out of firewood (planned on getting more next week). Been snowed in since Sunday night. No power for almost 48 hours. Couple feet of snow and plows aren’t coming up to our neighborhood. Making the most of it though. Got to spend some much needed time with my wife and dogs. Lessons learned for next year. Have more wood to last later into the year, have board games to stay entertained, need a quad/tractor/or something beastly to get out.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Patience as I stated initially. After another 10" in Dudeval, tried backing into around 20". That didn't work. High sided WRX is a lonely testament to my failed manhood.

Never try & park a car where it doesnt stand a chance of getting out of.... lake, river, sand dunes or snow... :bigsmile:
BTDTBTTS :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
mmalleck wrote:

Simple flat shovel from Lowes. Same size as a pointed shovel. But flat.

Usually used for gravel.

Takes a bite of snow that is big enough to be satisfactory.

Bite is still small enough, you aren't breaking your back with every bite/toss. Plus you don't wear out as readily.

Also bites into snow that turned to slush then froze, better than a "snow" shovel.

And you can use it like a chisel to break big pieces off. Try that with a snow shovel, and you'll quickly break it.

Best part... Ten bucks!

Seriously, that sounds too much like work! :thumbsup2:

I like this style

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... rs/7200652

Use the blade to push the snow - deeper the snow, the narrower the strip you take. Think of it as snow plow. Mine has a little divit in the middle as a marker. I rarely use more than half the blade. Too much and its too heavy to push. Do a flip when you hit the grass to roll the snow over the top. Metal blade will scrape for you and want a long enough handle so as not to bend over. if the snow gets deep enough to actually shovel? stay home.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:

Use the blade to push the snow - deeper the snow, the narrower the strip you take. Think of it as snow plow. Mine has a little divit in the middle as a marker. I rarely use more than half the blade. Too much and its too heavy to push. Do a flip when you hit the grass to roll the snow over the top. Metal blade will scrape for you and want a long enough handle so as not to bend over. if the snow gets deep enough to actually shovel? stay home.

I've got one of these http://yo-ho.com/30-heavy-duty-aluminum-snow-pusher/

works best for about 1 inch of snow. Anything more than maybe 2 and it becomes too hard to push (i have a very long driveway). Then is the issue of what to do once you get to the end or side of the driveway. If push it to the side, I either blow it off with the snow blower, or use a different shovel to dump it onto the grass.

Another tip is to do your driveway even if it is snowing. I try to get mine when it is about 3", which is perfect for my snow blower. If it is going to snow 6" total, I do it twice (probably in the evening, and first thing in the morning). Easier than dealing with 6" plus at a time.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was at it for an hour+. BOTH kinds of shovels. Car bottom pan is sitting on packed snow. Wheels not touching. Nice. Warmed car up really well.

Let the sucker melt out. Don't feel like laying on my belly.

Came inside for a homemade raspberry turnover and a cup of hot mocha. FTS. I'm retiring. I don't care.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poll is missing power and heat.

I need a generator and 3 cords of wood to pick through by next winter.

And i need to make sure I have some oil to mix up some saw gas.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:

This...roaded my Kubota from Hoodsport to close to Union yesterday, dug my son out of his driveway and made close to $500 along the way digging other people out. :thumbsup2:

-- Travis A Kisner

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next