Switch to full style
SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Survival or just preventive planning.
Post a reply

What did you run out of?

Gas
4%
Water
4%
Food
No votes
Patience
76%
Snacks
4%
Pet food
4%
Salt
8%
Sugar
No votes
Milk
No votes
Bread
No votes

Total votes : 25

Re: Snow - lesson learned - what did you run out of?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Life is way too short to drink cheap booze.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Isildur wrote:Life is way too short to drink cheap booze.

You got that right, I just finished off a bottle of Crown XR & have a spare somewhere... :bigsmile:
I guess I'll have to drink the cheap CR Reserve.... :rofl9:

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Beer

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Needed another snow shovel. One was not enough. I used to have two, but one broke a few years ago.

I did buy some bird seed. The poor birds were seeking shelter around our front door, so we threw out some food for them.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 pm

MadPick wrote:
Bxc53 wrote:
mtnwkr wrote:Cheap whisky. I'll be into the good stuff by this evening.

That’s my biggest worry.

:ROFLMAO:

You cheap fuckers!!!

(#metoo)

DAMMIT. icon_eek

Just poured the last of the Kirkland Irish whiskey.

Gonna have to move up to the Bushmills tomorrow night. :cussing:

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 pm

mmalleck wrote:I did buy some bird seed. The poor birds were seeking shelter around our front door, so we threw out some food for them.

Yeah, the juncos and house finches have been going nuts at our feeder. I'm also struggling to keep some hummingbirds alive.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Hummers are the most resilient and toughest birds alive.
I have about 10 working my feeders
Territorial little bastards

But to the main post
PREP
I guess it’s the Boy Scout in me
Haven’t run out of anything,
haven’t been trapped in my home

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 pm

We didn't run out of a thing. Have lots of gas on hand and didn't even need it.

So glad I have a tractor! It's much easier to push snow around with that than a shovel...lesson learned there! It also came in handy for moving fallen trees and branches with minimal effort. I have to move some branches in the morning too, several good sized branches fell once the rain started.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 am

The only thing I am lacking and that is making me pucker is running out of propane. I knew this storm was coming, but I didn’t think to check the big tank until it was too late.

She’s literally on liquid fumes. As soon as we get power back, I’m good with a heat pump and a couple electric fireplaces. I also have an extremely inefficient wood fireplace if things go south.

So for me. Propane. I’ve about used up my gasoline supply running the generator too, but I knew that was happening.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:19 am

Selador wrote:Where's the poll option for "nothing"?

This...did take the quad into town this morning to restock on tractor fuel. Had a full tank and extra 10 gallons on hand but figured I better restock while the power is still on in town.

Other than that...nothing.

Got 22" on the deck and still coming down, kinda starting to be concerned about my shop roof though. Hafta figure out how to get some of the buildup off there in the daylight.

Food, gas, propane, generator, attractive female companion...all good. :thumbsup2:

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am

We didn't want for anything in this storm. Except maybe an official snow shovel--we have two emergency shovels that worked in a pinch.
We have enough food to make two weeks of instant pot meals, plus another week or so in the freezer. We're used to spending 10 days camping in the wilderness so we have plenty of lightweight stoves to cook on and gear to sleep warm if power were to go out.

Like MadPick said, however, we're not quite properly prepared for something bigger, including a long-term power outage. We don't have a generator, and a long-term power outage would take out freezers (assuming outside wasn't below freezing).

It might be worth dehydrating some of the Instant Pot-type single pot meals to insulate us from power outages.

The other issue is cash reserve. With all the cancellations, my wife's clinic isn't seeing patients, and of course, they're not paying! This wouldn't be sustainable long-term.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 am

L_O_G wrote:My biggest issue throughout this whole thing was the lack of garbage service. My garbage days are Monday, and the snow has just been so perfectly timed that the brunt hit on back to back Monday's. Going to be going on week 3 for no garbage service.

If this was a long term scenario I would end up burning it in a barrel, but its not that dire yet and I hope to get a pickup this week. I took a few bags of trash to work today, but damn its obvious that most of my neighborhood doesn't have that option.

Yeah, this is starting to become an issue here at my place. If they come next Tuesday, it'll be 3 weeks since the last pick-up. My can fills up to the top every single week; needless to say, I'm already well past the overflow stage. I think a trip to the transfer station is in order. Been storing the overflow inside the recycle bin, but now that's maxed out, too.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 pm

They skipped last weeks trash pick up here also. They posted online that they were skipping this weeks as well. The City got on them - so they are picking up at houses when they deem the roads safe. For those whose roads aren't safe, they set up two drop off locations.

They picked up my trash around 8:30 this morning.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:43 pm

new daddy wrote:They skipped last weeks trash pick up here also. They posted online that they were skipping this weeks as well. The City got on them - so they are picking up at houses when they deem the roads safe. For those whose roads aren't safe, they set up two drop off locations.

They picked up my trash around 8:30 this morning.

Do or will they continue to charge you for the service?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Nothing. Been fine. I've driven everywhere I wanted to go too. I did supply the local PD some sleeping mats because they are camping at the station during their rotational shift. Going to head down for a big BBQ today with them. I see margarita's for afternoon snacks and maybe a movie.
Post a reply