Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:31 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Preparing Prepping from a security standpoint 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This isn’t security of needing a firearm for security discussion.

It’s basically guard duty. You can have all the firearms from full auto and 50 cal but if you are so tired someone walks up behind you sleeping and takes you out. Does it matter in the end.

Guard duty is 24/7 and if you have never pulled guard duty here is the nitty gritty. It sucks. If you have the man power. It’s a rotation - be it 2 hrs, 4 hrs or more depending on who you have and how many. The reality is people need to sleep but in the context of security someone will need to sacrifice that sleep.

The true test isn’t in the adrenaline encounters of someone invading it’s in the dead of night with boredom and fatigue.

It’s best to have a plan on several layers - a repetitive backup from noise makers or other types of early warning around your perimeter. Dogs are good also as they can be good early warning.

If it’s basically just you and 2 or 3 in the family. It’s a tough routine to keep it all going for long. One will need to figure out a good strategy that will cover the daily work needs and then overnight security.

If you haven’t tried it. It sucks and when you have to do it isn’t the time to find that out. Remember guard duty can’t be just you. It needs to be everyone in some capacity.

Of course if you have a secured room/bunker then that is another story. But everyone’s plan will change depending on the scenario and exact situation when that happens.

So some food for thought.
Hoping never to do guard duty again but one must be prepared and plan accordingly.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good point and this is why I expect to be dead or beaten and stripped bare by the end of the first week should things devolve into true chaos.

I live alone, doncha know, am hard of hearing to a degree and my eyesight and physical capabilities not set to improve as age catches up (that's one of the hardest things in life to accept)

The point is that, as the Mountain Guerilla espouses, developing kith and kin relationships in order to share these burdens is essential for survival.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dogs, geese, tripware alarms - all come in handy and let one sleep.

Also, sympathetic neighbors are good. Build that network with care.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
Dogs, geese, tripware alarms - all come in handy and let one sleep.

Also, sympathetic neighbors are good. Build that network with care.

Geese?

You have security geese?

:thumbsup2:

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oddly my first thought was geese..........

Fences with noise makers, and at least 3 dogs.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For $15, these things are a steal. I have a couple mounted around my yard at various spots, and if someone or something crosses by they don't even know I know they are there. When one of these goes off, my dogs howl like a wolf celebrating a fresh kill.

https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless- ... 93068.html

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I considered starting a new thread about the following, but determined that it may be germane to the security discussion here. (I am not opposed to deleting this comment, Mr. OldKim, and starting a new thread should you object.)

With the current dismantling of the 2A and State gun rights on-going in Olympia, and unless you are able to weather whatever regulations which may come about... restrictions and even gun seizure(?) schemes that may result... perhaps a discussion of alternatives to personal security may be in order.

To wit: the skirmish and common items for self preservation.

Not so common would be Non-ballistic body armor, like that worn by CERT, or CRT teams in prisons or by LE for riot control may be a worthy investment for the able bodied.

Of course, one could duct tape magazines (the kind everyone reads in the doctor's waiting room, not Pmags) around one's arms, legs and torso, but how cumbersome and long lasting would that prove to be?

More commonly, knives will be of more importance but knife regulation opens one up to perse... err, ahem... PROsecution should they be discovered on your person. An incident I only unclearly remember involves a man found to be in possession of a large knife. He maintained that as a chef (IIRC) the tool was used in his trade and should not be considered to be an "assault weapon". Again, if memory serves, that legal defense wasn't accepted.

So..what personal protection devices, commonly used items or tools which would/could be owned and carried legally, would you resort to in the face of a scarcity of weapons or ammo for protecting one's self while addressing a security issue to which your alarms, dogs or sentries have brought you to alert?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So let’s go extreme.

So all guns are taken away. So knives would be not my first choice.

On the flip side the folks coming will most likely have firearms (not as law following as you and law abiding folks... criminals). So it’s basically a gun versus knife fight.

Alternatives for me would be more cross bow or arrows or bolts at distance. When it comes to hand to hand... you just got to know you will end up injured.

So back on topic.
This thread is not really meant for “fighting”
It’s more of a spark to thought process how one would deal with actively securing one’s space on a 24/7 level.

We all can think of the active fighting part (the “sexy” adenaline part of being a survivalist). It’s the real world of doing the work that is almost 98% or more day in and day out nerve endingly dull and fatiguing.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In order to have good security, one or two people cannot do it alone without being exhausted after a short time. Strength in numbers, rotate in shifts, and keep eyes fresh.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, geese and other critters besides dogs - like alpaca.

Geese raise a hellish racket when they sense anything - they usually wake the dogs. When push comes to shove you'll have less qualms eating the geese than the dogs. They also attract other wild fowl. A multipurpose bird.

When we had alpaca the male had exceptional hearing and a very distinctive warning call. Anything got within 200 yards he started calling. Shot quite a few coyotes due to his diligence. Also good source for fiber and meat.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We need to set up an OK WAGUN compound.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can testify that geese are excellent security assets. We raised them on my grandmothers farm and they were better than the dogs at letting you know someone was there. A group of them is very intimidating when they are being aggressive.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BUT- No, they don't taste like chicken!!!!

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guard duty would be essential. Wouldn't geese just fly off eventually?

Building a safe room may be a good option if there is only one or two of you. You'd have to be able to see out somehow to ensure it's safe to leave though. Solar operated cameras may be a good option there?

Member:
2nd Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Firearms Policy Coalition
Silent Majority Foundation
NRA

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

EmbraceTheEdge wrote:
Wouldn't geese just fly off eventually?

You’ll wish they would ... but no, “domesticated” geese will hang around for the sheer pleasure of waking you up early, chasing you around the yard, and scaring the living shit out of kids.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next