Switch to full style
SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Survival or just preventive planning.
Post a reply

So we did a thing this past Saturday

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:10 pm

So wife and I had been fostering a mini pig for a gal and the gal abandoned the pig so she became ours and we made the decision to get her some friends, price was right, now to buy a boar and start raising mini bacons.

Also going to try and get a mix of raised beds and aquaponics going this year and start growing more veggies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: So we did a thing this past Saturday

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Pigs inside the car for a ride? Your are a brave man.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:29 pm

L_O_G wrote:Pigs inside the car for a ride? Your are a brave man.

Well the rear differential on my truck decided to eat itself so that’s what I had to use, they were actually very mellow on the ride home.
They are Juliana’s, I’m thinking of getting a kune kune boar and crossing them

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Cool of you to Uber for Amy Schumer and a couple of her friends.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:43 pm

IN for the first bacon PIF.

Seriously, please let me know when you are selling off the spare offspring once you get your herd up to size.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:56 pm

RENCORP wrote:IN for the first bacon PIF.

Seriously, please let me know when you are selling off the spare offspring once you get your herd up to size.

Will do Rene if it goes like I want and we get a kune kune I’m hoping the piglets would flesh out between 75and 140 lbs since kune kunes can get up to 200lbs and Juliana’s only 55-60lbs

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:03 pm

RadioSquatch wrote:Also going to try and get a mix of raised beds and aquaponics going this year and start growing more veggies.

We're still a year or two out from pigs, but raised beds are being refurbed and more being planned now for construction this year.

Tell us about your raised beds... How are you building them? How are you supplementing the soil?

What is the progress on aquaponics? Like almost everything else around here, that is coming "after the house is finished." hah
3 years old, but still my fav aquaponics how-to, by Rob Bob :

https://youtu.be/b_VROMhAoSs

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Are Mods allowed to go Necrothred?!? :ROFLMAO:

In reference to Radio's aquaponics reference, I saw the coolest thing this weekend...

I think it was on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives, and I think it was at a Thai restaurant, or Asian Fusion kinda place...for some reason I'm thinking Chicago....but it was so cool, he had a hydroponic dealio in the basement of the restaurant...

You went down some rickety stairs, and Bam!...

But what was really cool was, there were fish in the water :thumbsup2: So, somehow, the fish feed the plants, and the plants feed the fish!!! It was so awesome...

But then they flashed back to the kitchen, so, now I have to figure out what was going on.

Just conceptually, it was really cool, and the fish looked health, plants looked healthy, and water was clear :thumbsup2:

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:19 am

NWGunner wrote:Are Mods allowed to go Necrothred?!? :ROFLMAO:

In reference to Radio's aquaponics reference, I saw the coolest thing this weekend...

I think it was on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives, and I think it was at a Thai restaurant, or Asian Fusion kinda place...for some reason I'm thinking Chicago....but it was so cool, he had a hydroponic dealio in the basement of the restaurant...

But what was really cool was, there were fish in the water :thumbsup2: So, somehow, the fish feed the plants, and the plants feed the fish!!! It was so awesome...

But then they flashed back to the kitchen, so, now I have to figure out what was going on.

Just conceptually, it was really cool, and the fish looked health, plants looked healthy, and water was clear :thumbsup2:

That’s the goal of an aquaponics system, clear water and healthy fish and plants. Thinking maybe a 10-12foot pool on OfferUp for cheap would be a good way to start the setupas long as it’s deep enough.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 pm

RadioSquatch wrote:

That’s the goal of an aquaponics system, clear water and healthy fish and plants. Thinking maybe a 10-12foot pool on OfferUp for cheap would be a good way to start the setupas long as it’s deep enough.

You know, they said Aquaponics, and you said Aquaponics, but, in my pea brain, I kept think Hydroponics...

When you nicely said 'goal', then I was like, ohhhh, my dumb ass is thinking the wrong thing :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for setting me straight :thumbsup2:

I know I don't have the room for that, though...

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 am

I am blissfully stupid about necrothreads. I like 'em!

I figured this didn't even qualify, as it's the same growing season. Doesn't qualify as a necrothread in my book unless it's >3 years old, and someone else will still probably have to point it out to me. :bigsmile:

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 am

NWGunner wrote:
RadioSquatch wrote:

You know, they said Aquaponics, and you said Aquaponics, but, in my pea brain, I kept think Hydroponics...

When you nicely said 'goal', then I was like, ohhhh, my dumb ass is thinking the wrong thing :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for setting me straight :thumbsup2:

I know I don't have the room for that, though...

No problem lol I made my wife mad last week, got our swimming pool all setup and said if the kids made me mad enough I’d dump a bunch of rock and logs in the pool and start the aquaponics system early, she was like not in my brand new expensive ass pool. :ROFLMAO:
Post a reply