Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 WaGuns Coffee Blend - Now Available! 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Just got my grinder. Brewing up an eight cup pot now. I will be up for days. Smells great.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Got my coffee last night. Already have a grinder. Can't wait to brew tomorrow morning...

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Went and bought my grinder today at lunch... Tomorrow, we shall DRINK!

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

On my second cup now. Medium grind and put into auto drip. I need to try a french press tomorrow. It is good buddy.

Join the NRA

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

So what is the perfect formula?

Grind?
Amount of grounds per amount of water?

When I make Starshits, I use a med grind, and 4 scoops to 8 water (1 to 2 ratio, but 8 is the normal batch)... Oh and I'm using a shitty Mr Coffee machine.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

olydemon wrote:

Grind?

When I make Starshits, I use a med grind, and 4 scoops to 8 water (1 to 2 ratio, but 8 is the normal batch)... Oh and I'm using a shitty Mr Coffee machine.

6 TBLS of beans, Medium Grind, 8 cups of water in a drip machine(That is what I started with)

I'm going off the standards listed on my grinder. The only change is I might for to 7 TBLS of beans.

I don't have a recipe for french press yet but I will try something tomorrow.

Join the NRA

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:

Grind?

So much I could say about coffee ratios and coffee makers, but to summarize; start with a ratio you normally use. If it seems too weak (thin) add a little more if it seems too strong a little less. Water temperature of your coffee maker will certainly change the flavor and "strength" of the coffee. Ideally the water should be hitting the coffee between 195 - 205 degrees.... unfortunately most don't, most are low.

Here is the ratio recommended by the Specialty Coffee Association of America....

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

milowebailey wrote:
olydemon wrote:

Grind?

So much I could say about coffee ratios and coffee makers, but to summarize; start with a ratio you normally use. If it seems too weak (thin) add a little more if it seems too strong a little less. Water temperature of your coffee maker will certainly change the flavor and "strength" of the coffee. Ideally the water should be hitting the coffee between 195 - 205 degrees.... unfortunately most don't, most are low.

Here is the ratio recommended by the Specialty Coffee Association of America....

Post away.....pretty sure we'll all read a good coffee primer.

How do the higher quality grinds work with the rapid fire Bunn 2 minute machines, if one is in a rush?

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bunn is known as being a good machine. I use one at work with my coffee all the time. It should take about 5-6 minutes for drip coffee. The less time the coffee grounds are in contact with the water the finer you should grind.... That is why espresso is very fine and for a French press fairly course.

Coffee makers I like and have or still have:

Bunn
Technivorm
Bonavita
Cuisinart (without the grinder!!)

If you have a temperature sensor that you can get the probe in the basket, measure the water temperature hitting the grinds..... It should be between 195 - 205. And it should make the coffee in less than 6 minutes. If not you won't get full flavor out of the coffee.

Water use filtered water!!! Chlorine oxidizes the aromatics and ads a chemical taste to coffee and can produce an off taste. I use a brita pitcher.

As for grinders

Get the best you can afford.

I have a bunch of them.

Blade grinders (spice grinders) work ok, but you won't get a consistent grind. So flavor from pot to pot will vary slightly.
Burr grinders are best, but be careful and read up on a model before you buy one. Some are junk

I like the Baratza Virtuoso for home, but it,s not cheap. Cuisinart burr is ok.

The bottom line is it all matters in the cup. And in time you will notice the difference.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

milowebailey wrote:

Um... Can you tell me why? Because that's EXACTLY what I bought today... WITH the grinder lol.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
milowebailey wrote:

Um... Can you tell me why? Because that's EXACTLY what I bought today... WITH the grinder lol.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

We have a Burr grinder, works pretty good.

My old Mr Coffee maker is a bit of a turd, may be time to take advantage of that Employee purchase program....

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
milowebailey wrote:

I warned you to be careful......but NOO, can't listen to the peasants.

:ROFLMAO:

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

dan360 wrote:
I warned you to be careful......but NOO, can't listen to the peasants.

Oh please! I walked back out of the mall and you were all like "ohhh, fancy.. that's a nice one"... I thought you were being genuine in sharing your knowledge based on the product I bought, but apparently you were just ass-kissing. :bigsmile:

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

milowebailey wrote:
Bunn is known as being a good machine. I use one at work with my coffee all the time. It should take about 5-6 minutes for drip coffee. The less time the coffee grounds are in contact with the water the finer you should grind.... That is why espresso is very fine and for a French press fairly course.

Coffee makers I like and have or still have:

Bunn
Technivorm
Bonavita

If you have a temperature sensor that you can get the probe in the basket, measure the water temperature hitting the grinds..... It should be between 195 - 205. And it should make the coffee in less than 6 minutes. If not you won't get full flavor out of the coffee.

Water use filtered water!!! Chlorine oxidizes the aromatics and ads a chemical taste to coffee and can produce an off taste. I use a brita pitcher.

As for grinders

Get the best you can afford.

I have a bunch of them.

Blade grinders (spice grinders) work ok, but you won't get a consistent grind. So flavor from pot to pot will vary slightly.
Burr grinders are best, but be careful and read up on a model before you buy one. Some are junk

I like the Baratza Virtuoso for home, but it,s not cheap. Cuisinart burr is ok.

The bottom line is it all matters in the cup. And in time you will notice the difference.

:bow: :bow:

I have the Bunn NXHB with the preheated water tank. Book says 200°F but I've never measured it. Takes about 3-3 1/2 min to brew a pot.

Have a Hario hand grinder....rarely use it, because I usually don't grind my coffee....normally it's ruined with a lot of cream n sugar, but I can change. :bigsmile:

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next