Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 If I am understanding the Olympia area situation... 

I've been around guns and such forever, but not so much online. Now I'm on WAguns and learning the basics of online posting (the basics of WAguns, I spent time on Imgur & Reddit).

I'm finding out that it's pretty damn hard to shoot in the Oly area unless you have property, or know someone with property.

I'm a member of GGC which is great for pistols; but I'm in search of a new a new long-gun location.
I'm about to go visit Capitol City Rifle & Pistol Club this weekend, and am unsure what I will find...

Any input would be appreciated.

---- So I've been looking around the Olympia area and I've read up on the "Triangle Pit" and will drive out and see what it's like... but what I've read online is not good.

I did a walk through at Evergreen Sportsmen’s Club and it seems focused almost entirely on clays... and seniors... and seniors shooting clays.
(Being a Clay, that concerned me...)

I don't expect anyone to share their favorite trail spot or whatever. Hell no. But are these really the main (only) areas near Olympia?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Me? Old retired military. No longer have an outdoor location (owner of the land passed, new owner and guns don't mix)
Enjoy building various AR type projects.
Recently started having fun with PCC (pistol caliber carbines) builds.
I have a new AR9 that is so much fun and am looking to get it off a "lane" and out on a range where I can work it out a little.

See you all around.

Last edited by C141Clay on Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 15, 2019 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you make it to the pistol/rifle bay of Evergreen? And the pit is in the same general area as evergreen, instead of taking that left, you turn right and head down the road a few miles.

Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Greetings and Welcome.

Near the top of the page is a Maps of places to Shoot.
Might check it out.

Thank You for your service.
On here there are a number of people who have a DD214.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Test reply to see how replies work...

Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 pm

airmandan wrote:
Did you make it to the pistol/rifle bay of Evergreen? And the pit is in the same general area as evergreen, instead of taking that left, you turn right and head down the road a few miles.

Hey Dan... I Think I did. There was a 10 lane (maybe) covered set of lanes dug into a hillside. Also a little set range areas for cowboy shooting competitions... It was a bit wet the day I went by and looked a bit rough.
I'm going to be out near them this weekend when I go by CCR&PC, and I had planned on visiting again.
I have been spoiled before with an essentially private area that I would police up when done and that was it...
Now at 'public' ranges and I'm beginning to realise I need to be more 'forgiving' with what's available.

Wed May 15, 2019 2:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

C141Clay wrote:
(Being a Clay, that concerned me...)

:rofl9:

Clay, you’ve got an avatar and everything; I think done a good job of picking up those online skills!

I’d definitely give Evergreen a chance for rifle and pistol shooting; it’s a good range with good people, and you can go there as a non-member to try it out if you don’t want to commit to a membership.

But yeah ... shooting at public ranges is a compromise, for sure. The good news is that you won’t generally have unsafe assholes to contend with, as you so often do at the public “pits.”

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

But yeah ... shooting at public ranges is a compromise, for sure. The good news is that you won’t generally have unsafe assholes to contend with, as you so often do at the public “pits.”

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

But you got to know, if you ask those “unsafe assholes” they tend to believe they are the safest people out there... right before they muzzle you and walk in front of an active firing line or start shooting on a “cold” aka cease fire line.

Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where you a mechanic on C141 or one of those pajama wearing people who broke everything?

Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Another vote for Evergreen. Good people; friendly and outgoing. The RSO's there do their best to ensure safe shooting (yes, I'm one) but we don't do the "mother hen" act either.

The only shortcoming about Evergreen is that you have 100 yards for rifles. That's it.

Now, if you don't mind a bit of a drive, check out Grays Harbor Rifle and Pistol. I'm a member there as well.

300 yard rifle line, 25 and 50 yard outdoor pistol line, and a 15 yard indoor range open 24 hours a day to members.

Shortcoming about GHRPC? No shotguns.

Shoot me a PM....

Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 am

Clay welcome. Evergreen is good to go, yeah it's only 100 yards right now, but they are working on extending out to 600 yards when ever they get the approval from the county and funds of course. Talk to Richard, I think he is the RSO on Thursdays. The RSO's there are really nice and former military. $10 to shoot if you have a military ID

Since you're retired military you can go to JBLM range 15 as well, the only draw back is no magnum rifles or pistols and you have to register your firearm on post. Range goes out to 300 yards. $10 bucks to shot and they are open Friday through Sunday except holiday weekends.

Here is the form you need https://home.army.mil/lewis-mcchord/app ... litary.pdf
fill it out and take to Whaller hall / vehicle registration. I am going there tomorrow 5/17 and then range 15. If you show up, I will be wearing a purple W hat.

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln 8 Dec 1840

Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 am

Eagle Chaplain wrote:
Where you a mechanic on C141 or one of those pajama wearing people who broke everything?

I was the FE that gave maintenance a hard time when the shitter door wouldn't latch or a single map light bulb was burnt out.
...Not really...
I was JEM on C5's then ASAP I became a FE on 141's. Spent my whole career flying and loved it.
I tried not to bust maintenance's balls too much.
I just wanted to get the plane off station and then run it until they wouldn't give me any more waivers for broken shit.

I spent some time as an "Eagle Airlifter" if that relates to your user name.

Thu May 16, 2019 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

C141Clay wrote:
Eagle Chaplain wrote:

I was the FE that gave maintenance a hard time when the shitter door wouldn't latch or a single map light bulb was burnt out.
...Not really...
I was JEM on C5's then ASAP I became a FE on 141's. Spent my whole career flying and loved it.
I tried not to bust maintenance's balls too much.
I just wanted to get the plane off station and then run it until they wouldn't give me any more waivers for broken shit.

I spent some time as an "Eagle Airlifter" if that relates to your user name.

It doesn't. I'm a crew Chief for C-17s.
My name is from being an Eagle Scout and currently serving a a Chaplain for the troop my son is in.

Thu May 16, 2019 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome.
Yeah anywhere is political nightmare called Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia it can be hard to find places to shoot. As others have said Evergreen is the organized area. You don't have to go to far to find other areas but best is to get to know someone with property down there! Good luck and Welcome.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Sat May 25, 2019 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

:party:

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]