Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 67  Next
 Name That Tool 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
delliottg wrote:
What bands?

These bands. I each for Reverse, Low and Brake. They look like brake shoes except they clamp down on the outside of the drum, vs expanding into the inside of a drum

Oh, I think I see. Reminds me a bit of a 63 Ford Econoline I had as my first "car". The shifter on the 4 in a tree (yep, 4) broke, so I couldn't get it into reverse after I'd jury rigged the shifter to work in the four forward gears (piece of garden hose & several hose clamps). So, I learned to park where I didn't need to back up, and if I did, I'd rigged a coat hanger through the front grill that'd allow me to pull the shifter forward into reverse gear (fondly nicknamed "Manuel Rivera by my girlfriend"), then when I was done reversing, I'd have to use a giant 2' long screw driver to push the shifter back into neutral. Pretty much sucked, but the part to fix the shifter was no longer made, and even when it was, was only available in Canada, where the van was originally from. I still talk to her occasionally 45 years later, and we still laugh about Manuel Rivera.

I learned a LOT owning that van.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone know what this is? Found it today at the cemetery (don't ask).
Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found a tool I made for some boat project. Hell if I can remember what I was turning with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Tool complete:
Spoiler: show

It didn't look like this when I started cleaning it. This thing had decades of dust glued to earlier decades of completely dried oil/grease. Impressively tough stuff to clean off and out of the nooks and crannies.

Markings : 14 The Keystone Mfg Co Buffalo NY

Component parts :
The top portion is a ratchet handle. The knurled knob to the Right pulls out and rotates to reverse direction.

This part has a male acme threaded rod... which screws into this part :

Which is the part on the Right in the Pieces/parts photo.

One side of this piece is the female acme threaded portion on one side, and a #2 Morse Taper (f) on the other.

Inserted into the #2 Morse Taper was this piece:
#2 Morse Taper (m) on one side, Square drive about 11/16" on the other.

There is a fine thread exposed on the internal part that ratchets. The top photo doesn't show it well.
Ah, might as well mark up the pic. Here it is. The threads are exposed when it is all put together as I found it.

The closest that I have found is an eBay listing calling it a "14" Ratcheting Machinist Tool Holder" .
I'm guessing that it is a tap handle, but nothing like I have used before.
How is the "dead center" used on this tool?

It's a fairly elaborate tool for the simple use that I am thinking of, so my real guess is that I know nothing.

It's a ratchmocentahammer!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Scratch scratch
Attachment:
TheIronAgeKeystoneAd.jpg

They obviously don't know what they are talking about. Must be a bloomberg/progressive company.

It's a ratchmocentahammer!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea, is the square drive tapered on the inside?

It's a ratchet for getting into spots that a brace can't be used in

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hint: This is a Model T tool

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by NWGunner on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Hint: This is a Model T tool

I won’t say what it does, unless nobody gets it, but I do know many people call it the lazy man’s approach.

Or the don’t ruin your Sunday go to Meetin’ clothes approach. :)

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, you know what it is.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

disconnect spare tire?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Model T has no dipstick. To check oil, you have two petcocks on the oil pan

The idea is to keep the oil level between the two petcocks. So you crack the top one, and if oil comes out it is over filled. If none comes out, you then crack the bottom petcock. If oil comes out, you are good. If no oil comes out of the bottom petcock, you need to add oil

The wrench shown above lets you reach and open the petcocks without crawling under the car.

The Sierra club won’t like this, but back in the day when you cracked the petcock and oil came out, it fell on the ground and you just left it there.

Today, I have a drip pan under my T to catch that oil, and all the other oil that regularly leaks out of every Model T in the world

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My other guess would have been a too to switch gas tanks...

Way back in my college days I had a CREAKY old teechur who taught PNW History. He told us a story about taking the rutted dirt road over the pass (you can still see the ruts in some places near the pass on some of the side roads)...

One day he threw a bearing. So he got out of his model (T? A? I can't remember) took his hat off and drained the crank case into it. Removed the pan, folded up the tin foil (real tin) from some chewing gum he had on hand, shimmed the bad bearing with it, tied everything back up and then poured the oil in his hat back into the motor....and off he went.

Don't shoot me, that's his story.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:14 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arisaka wrote:
A Model T has no dipstick. To check oil, you have two petcocks on the oil pan....

That was cool... thanks for the info. :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:32 pm

~
And I thought my Scout II was an antique

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 67  Next