Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Backyard Zipline 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got done with a 250 ft zipline in our backyard, and the kids (big and small) are loving it. I bought a really nice Klein cable grab that was way overkill for the project, but got a steal of a deal o[url][/url]n ebay....
If anyone ever wants to set something up at their house I'd be willing to loan out the cable grab, and can help with elevation and cable sag recommendations. Northwest Wire Rope and Sling in the Tacoma port area has the best prices I could find on the cable and will sell whatever you want by the foot.
It needed some fine tuning on the tension. I used a turnbuckle at one end to make that easy, and it's running faster now. I still need to build a platform too, the ladder is a bit janky, LOL. But we weren't going to let that keep is from trying!
http://imgur.com/gallery/i4hYd4o

Thu May 16, 2019 8:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That’s really cool!!!

I’ve never see a home zip line before. So many possibilities!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri May 17, 2019 5:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice job there Chip your kids will love it. :thumbsup2:
Just a reminder that you should make others (not in your family) sign a waiver in case they injure themselves on your fun ride. Just sayin....

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Just a reminder that you should make others (not in your family) sign a waiver in case they injure themselves on your fun ride. Just sayin....

This.

A neighborhood friend of mine growing up had an awesome tree house in his backyard that his Dad built. It had 2"x4"s screwed into the tree acting as a ladder which worked great until' one broke, came loose and a neighbor kid fell about 10' and broke his elbow in several places. Long drug out process and he ended up being responsible for all of the medical bills and the tree house went bye bye.

Fri May 17, 2019 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reminders about the unfortunate need for liability protection. I'm well aware of the dangers, but honestly do still struggle with the idea of not being able to take people at their word when they say they understand and accept the risk. Waivers will be printed out and waiting for visitors....

Fri May 17, 2019 9:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A waiver wont protect you.

At best it can scare someone into thinking they cant sue. Until they meet a lawyer.

Fri May 17, 2019 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Thanks for the reminders about the unfortunate need for liability protection. I'm well aware of the dangers, but honestly do still struggle with the idea of not being able to take people at their word when they say they understand and accept the risk. Waivers will be printed out and waiting for visitors....

This day and age where no one want's to take responsibility for themselves (lady sues McDonalds when she spills her hot coffee), I would opt for the waiver action as well.

With that said, looks like a pretty safe zipline you have there, nothing too crazy. I can see hours upon hours of fun to be had. Especially once you set up targets on the sides of the zipline path and start testing your marksmanship while zipping, James Bond style haha lol! :thumbsup2: :bigsmile:

Fri May 17, 2019 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:
Chip wrote:

This day and age where no one want's to take responsibility for themselves (lady sues McDonalds when she spills her hot coffee), I would opt for the waiver action as well.

With that said, looks like a pretty safe zipline you have there, nothing too crazy. I can see hours upon hours of fun to be had. Especially once you set up targets on the sides of the zipline path and start testing your marksmanship while zipping, James Bond style haha lol! :thumbsup2: :bigsmile:

Funny you should mention the shooting game potential. I was recalling that being done at least a couple times in the old Top Shot TV show. I do have climbing harnesses that would facilitate hands-free hanging, and plenty of airsoft gear..... Helium balloons from Dollar Tree for targets maybe?

Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
old11bravo wrote:
Chip wrote:

Funny you should mention the shooting game potential. I was recalling that being done at least a couple times in the old Top Shot TV show. I do have climbing harnesses that would facilitate hands-free hanging, and plenty of airsoft gear..... Helium balloons from Dollar Tree for targets maybe?

Now you're talkin! Juk and I will be over for this competition. That old guy gets queasy when he stands up too quick.

Fri May 17, 2019 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]