Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Flag that lasts longer than a year? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you found a flag that will last longer than a year? They seem to fade quite quickly. Or they get dirty and mold/mildew/turn green. I leave mine our 24x7x365.

Sun May 19, 2019 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Or they get dirty and mold/mildew/turn green.

Umm, I'm pretty sure you have to clean it if it will be an outside flag.

Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Have you found a flag that will last longer than a year? They seem to fade quite quickly. Or they get dirty and mold/mildew/turn green. I leave mine our 24x7x365.

Its going to fade from the UV and Weather regardless of the Quality. If it gets Mold/mildew/turn Green, you didn't buy an all Weather Flag or it's in a spot where it get's damp and never dries.
Oh, and if it's up 24/7/365, i hope it's properly lit at night. :flag:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 pm

You could look into car interior ceramic spray, it will repel water and I believe have uv inhibitors

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon May 20, 2019 6:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dad used to maintain the flags at a LEO and firefighters memorial. I think he was getting about 6-9 months out of the flags before replacing them. I know it was less than a year

When I was shopping for a flag the best deal I could find was the American Legion

https://www.americanlegionflags.com/

Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 am

http://patriotic-flags.com/index.php?ma ... ath=34_248

Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could try spraying the flag with 303 Marine Protectant. I use it for most everything cloth on my boat. What it doesn't do is protect from UV (I think), so you'd still have to deal with that.

I just found this PDF where it says it does protect from UV: https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/303%20Fabr ... ctions.pdf

Mon May 20, 2019 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
My dad used to maintain the flags at a LEO and firefighters memorial. I think he was getting about 6-9 months out of the flags before replacing them. I know it was less than a year

Thanks! Maybe I just need to change my expectations and get good at burning flags.

Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe try Nikiwax products, recommend the spray application over adding it to your washing machine cycle (had issues with subsequent loads). Or maybe a spray poly-urethane with UV protector?, never used it on fabric tho.

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/productsel ... oofing.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mon May 20, 2019 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing stuff:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-N ... zPEALw_wcB

Mon May 20, 2019 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy an ANNIN nylon flag and treat it with Scotchguard, no guarantee it will last a year, but it should help

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon May 20, 2019 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Second vote for an Annin brand flag. I only use those at the Memorial, 12" x 18" flags stuck into the ground by each individual memorial, and the large flag, the one on the pole that flies 24/7/365, is now also an Annin brand flag (no idea how THAT happened...).

For the ground flags, which actually take a lot more abuse than the "official" flag (think mud splashed up from the ground/grass cuttings/straight up being trod on), I expect ~1 year. They just hose off. The "official" flag is replaced on a nine-month schedule, and generally come down looking pretty damn good. Again, the brand you want is Annin. They make a UV resistant version, which is what I buy.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Mon May 20, 2019 7:55 pm

I had good luck with the heavier duty ones and spraying them with UV and water repellent.

Tue May 21, 2019 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My neighbor asked if it was better to fly a flag 24/7 without being lit up at night or to just not fly a flag.....I didn't know how to answer that

Tue May 21, 2019 8:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:
My neighbor asked if it was better to fly a flag 24/7 without being lit up at night or to just not fly a flag.....I didn't know how to answer that

Apathy will be our downfall

(his)

Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next