Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Honing out a shotgun barrel choke 

Has anyone honed out a full choke into a modified?

I have had screw in choke install in a full choke barrel. The metal left around the choke/muzzle is thin makes me reluctant to use steel shot faster than 1400FPS. I am afraid that 2" of the barrel may brake off after lots of use.

So my idea is to use a brake cylinder hone and go for broke until about 2" from the muzzle is .710 or there about.

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln 8 Dec 1840

Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dont think that the size is as important as the shape/profile/taper of the choke area.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^What he said.

I wouldn't worry too much about the barrel being thin. My dad has a Remington 1100 12ga that he had threaded for choke tubes at least 30 years ago (muzzle end had to be stretched thin to accommodate), and after what is probably thousands of rounds, it's still going strong. No signs of it going anywhere.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy a reamer.
It will take many weeknights and multiple six packs of beer to hone a choke. (And you may still wish to hone it once reamed).
And also. Choke dimension are relative to the bore inside bore diameter. It’s not a set in stone number.

Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more thing. If your willing to put in this effort for this gun.
How old is it ? My point being shot guns made in the era of paper shotgun shells have a different forcing cone.
So get a chamber gauge and a forcing cone reamer and lengthen your chamber if needed.
Lengthening a forcing cone will reduce felt recoil. And go easier on shot shell hulls if you reload.
Check out this place I’ve rented a fair amount of reamers from them in the past.

https://4drentals.com/

Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm

I should have thought about reaming it out. Have rented from 4dreamers lots of times for 308win pull through.

What I purchase was a Japanese barrel with a full choke for my Browning Auto 5. I have a Belgian barrel that I had Carlson's choke install a screw in choke and been using for steel shot and the wall on this is very thin, seems like paper thin. The barrels for the Auto 5 is not cheap anymore, some can go as high as $600.
I picked up this Japanese barrel for $209 from ebay with free shipping.

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brokenvet wrote:
The barrels for the Auto 5 is not cheap anymore, some can go as high as $600.

icon_eek

Wish I had known that a couple years ago! I received one in great shape in a box of misc. gun stuff for next to nothing, and I think I sold it for $80. Come to think of it, the buyer did seem overly excited...

Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 am

Found a gunsmith at Shotgun World with a great reputation for installing screw in chokes. Mike Orlen is the guy very reasonable prices. $65 to ream out and thread the barrel for tru-choke. It will most likely cost me $110 with round trip shipping.

Here is the guys info if you guys are interested.

Mike Orlen, 79 Salem Street, Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 256-1630 Fax: (413) 253-5665

michael.orlen@verizon.net

Thu May 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Brokenvet wrote:
The barrels for the Auto 5 is not cheap anymore, some can go as high as $600.

icon_eek

Wish I had known that a couple years ago! I received one in great shape in a box of misc. gun stuff for next to nothing, and I think I sold it for $80. Come to think of it, the buyer did seem overly excited...

Me too.

Thu May 23, 2019 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]