Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Flag that lasts longer than a year? 

codfather wrote:
My neighbor asked if it was better to fly a flag 24/7 without being lit up at night or to just not fly a flag.....I didn't know how to answer that

I dont have a light on mine and it stays up all the time. If it wads someones panties, then I think they need to get a life

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
codfather wrote:
My neighbor asked if it was better to fly a flag 24/7 without being lit up at night or to just not fly a flag.....I didn't know how to answer that

I dont have a light on mine and it stays up all the time. If it wads someones panties, then I think they need to get a life

I fly my flag for all troops, whether they are at home or in the field like I was. I have a front porch light but leave it off. My Dad did it the same way for 40 years so I'll continue to fly in the dark with no I'll feelings. :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:

Better to fly the flag than not. Mine at home (on the garage and and out front) aren't lit directly, just by the porch light and garage lights.

Took a long time to get the lighting right for the official flag at the Memorial, too, since the entire 50 foot flagpole had been moved, at the last minute, to its current position without any thought given to lighting. So it flew in the dark for a good while.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm

It's better to not fly the flag than to insult it and the nation by not having a light on it. It's still against the US Flag code, even if it's not enforceable. It's not as bad as burning or trampling it, but if yhou do this, you're violating the exact same code and you are still insulting it.

It's like $4 for a cheap 4 watt LED bulb, another $10 for a more expensive light holder, like those clamp on ones, and if you need it a few more bucks for an extension cord. So like $20-30 and a dollar a month to do it properly. Maybe 10 minutes of your time.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
It's like $4 for a cheap 4 watt LED bulb, another $10 for a more expensive light holder, like those clamp on ones, and if you need it a few more bucks for an extension cord. So like $20-30 and a dollar a month to do it properly. Maybe 10 minutes of your time.

Water proof?

Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i've inherited my flag when i bought the house, it's been up for almost 3 years now, i only took it down for when we had big wind storms
not sure who it's made by but it has held up pretty nicely so far, a bit faded but still in decent shape, probably going to have to retire it at the end of this summer

i just bought a solar light for it, $21 shipped https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T1QC5GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
no cords, no mess, no power bill increases. turns on and off by itself at dusk and dawn. should have bought it way sooner

light has a off-lo-high switch, below is on high

Last edited by movingviolation on Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just went and looked at it, it is made by ANNIN :bow: :flag:

Thu May 23, 2019 7:59 pm

snozzberries wrote:
Unicorn wrote:

Water proof?

Most houses have something like eaves so you can put it underneath and aim it at the flag.

Thu May 23, 2019 8:00 pm

movingviolation wrote:
just went and looked at it, it is made by ANNIN :bow: :flag:

That brand does seem like a winner!

Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nylon or polyester?

Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Nylon or polyester?

Thu May 23, 2019 8:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow . . . movingviolation for the win! :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu May 23, 2019 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
It's better to not fly the flag than to insult it and the nation by not having a light on it. It's still against the US Flag code, even if it's not enforceable. It's not as bad as burning or trampling it, but if yhou do this, you're violating the exact same code and you are still insulting it.

Gotta 2nd this.

Either light it, or bring it in at night. Not that hard.

If it represents what you say it represents, then it deserves the respect it's due.

Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first flag was Nylon, with a pretty shitty pole. I either bought it at Walmart or Costco.

After reading online, it sounds like Polyester is "tougher". Annin describes them as:
Quote:
Premium nylon for year-round display
Durable polyester for all weather, high wind display

So I found this Polyester one at Costco with a much nicer pole:

If I buy another one, I'll buy an Annin one. I'm still wondering about Nylon vs Polyester. I want year-round display, for all weather.

Fri May 24, 2019 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not had good luck with Valley Forge flags, which is what came with the other house--the one four houses down from this one--and which is what was flying at the Memorial when I first started in taking care of it. It (the WSP one) was a bit of a mess, even when seen from the ground.

I only stumbled on Annin flags when I was looking for some sturdy 12" x 18" flags to put in the ground by each individual memorial. As I mentioned before, the ones I bought ended up enduring horrible torture and only were replaced because the wooden sticks were broken off by the guys who mow the grass (same guys broke some of the pathway lights with their ride-on mowers). The flags themselves were dirty but not in bad shape--still had them disposed of properly, and when I finally had (read: convinced someone) the main flag taken down and replaced with an Annin flag, the Valley Forge flag really looked awful.

The other brand I like is Toland, but I've not seen them much here, they seem to be more a Canadian brand.

Unicorn, I understand that by flying the Memorial flag at night, unlit, it might seem disrespectful, but the issue was fixed. The building is a 1950's model and really has crap wiring, and for a while, a solar light I ordered from Amazon was about halfway up the pole but wasn't really powerful enough to light up anything but a bit of the pole. Anyway, it's fixed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat May 25, 2019 10:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next