Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Last semiauto purchase for a while... LMT 308 or SCAR17? 

I'd like some input from owners of one or both of these rifles. As July 1st is approaching, I'm eyeing both of these rifles to add to my collection. What are your experiences with them? I love the 308 AR design, and have heard great things about LMT's quality. I've already got a few AR15s and an Aero 308 build nearing completion though. The SCAR would be something totally new for me, and I've also heard mostly good things about it. I've also heard that they've experienced issues with magazines cracking, and that they have a reputation for breaking optics. I don't have any hands-on experience though.

As for intended use... either would probably just be a range gun to use at public rifle ranges. As much as I'd like to get out there and shoot at 500+ yards, that'll probably only happen a few times a year.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Experiences with LMT: Only shot an AR15 pistol. Extremely nice gun/well made. THe model I shot, and wish I could afford allows you to change barrels/calibers easily...

As for their .308 I have Opinions: Their monolithic rail system is tits. Always wanted on since their first "Modular Weapons System" was offered as the MWSE.

Don't think you could go wrong other than the beating your wallet would take buying it.

But the SCAR isn't that much cheaper, if at all... and again, I only have opinions - never got to shoot one. But I did finger fuck them a few times.
Gun seems well made but
Never did like the cheesy and very plastic-y feeling Tuna Fish shaped stock. Now they have an adjustable stock that looks like it belongs on a chassis gun and to be more steady for distance shooting. Want to see that stock in person - haven't yet.

So... in conclusion: I think the LMT is the deal.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No experience with the LMT. I have a SCAR 20S and it is the cats meow as far as SCARs go. SCAR 17S is expensive so the 20S may give you sticker shock. Once you add up all the upgrades between 17S and 20S, the 20S is justifiable in price. As far as reliability goes the SCAR platform is very well liked. Checkout videos and posts by Battlefield Las Vegas on how reliable the SCARs are. Upgrades and aftermarket support is there. If you shop around you can find the 17s for under $2400 new but good luck finding one in FDE if that is what you want.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not fired a 17, but I have handled one recently. I do have an LMT MWS in 308.
The SCAR felt lighter than I expected.
The MWS is well made and solid. I really like the barrel change system. You can change the barrel, and even the caliber, in about 5 minutes.
MWS takes pmags, while the 17 does not.
I'm happy with the MWS.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:00 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Not sure where BID is finding them so cheap new. Dealer pricing from RSR is over $2700. I am completely happy with my 17 but some people dont like reciprocating charging handles. I also run a pmag compatible lower too.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:19 am

Had an LMT MWS308. Sold it to buy my truck. Super reliable and accurate. They’re relatively heavy though. 10 pounds before optic, accessories, or loaded mag. If I was doing precision shooting or DMR typesl stuff, I’d go LMT. If you want a battle rifle to hump around that’s lighter, I’d go Scar 17.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Well, I guess I'm going LMT. Got my hands on a SCAR17 in store and wasn't too impressed. I'm sure it's a great rifle, but I don't see $3000 worth of rifle there.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:04 pm

PMC wrote:
Well, I guess I'm going LMT. Got my hands on a SCAR17 in store and wasn't too impressed. I'm sure it's a great rifle, but I don't see $3000 worth of rifle there.

Have you considered the Galil Ace in 7.62x51? You could buy 2 of them for the price of the Scar. I honestly prefer them to the Scar. Super reliable, takes the AR-10 Pmags (which are significantly cheaper that Scar 17 mags), RS Regulate makes really nice lightweight mlok handguards.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WCA has the LMT in stock and my buddy was looking closely at it. It’s a really nice rifle and the monolithic upper seems like a neat idea. But in practicality, how often are you going to change barrels/calibers? And you have to use their proprietary barrels to the tune of $400-500.

My buddy wound up deciding on the new Springfield Saint 308. Haven’t shot it yet but it’s a really nice looking rifle that checks all the feature boxes: Mlok, muzzle brake, smooth trigger, good furniture. And it’s half the LMT price at about $1200, if memory serves.

He ordered his but after ordering it, came across them in stock at WCA North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:48 am

SCAR-17 all the way. Great rifle!

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMC wrote:

Good choice - I couldn't agree more with the bolded part. LMT makes great guns; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]