Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Show your Gardening in 2019 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dreadi wrote:
PMB wrote:
That looks nice Brian. Raised beds are far superior to old fashioned garden plots.
The deer where we have our place in Montana are a scourge. I believe that they found some way to defeat the electric fence... Maybe one of the young bucks is required by the clan to sacrifice himself for a few seconds to let everyone else through. Maddening...
They destroyed my fruit trees and my vegetable and berry starts three years running.

When we have more time to work on the MT place we'll put up an 8' fence around the entire garden and orchard.
And then I'll make up for all the thievery by plopping a bunch of venison in the freezers.

When we get over to visit you at your new place, may I take a cutting of your hops? I had 4 varieties growing in WA before we left, can't find a trace of any of them now.

I volunteer as tribute to annually manage your deer population. :bigsmile:

We don't spend winters out there in MT generally. I probably will spend part of hunting season there though. :bigsmile:
Spring and fall are our Montana times.

I have reported the scourge out there... The most whitetails that I saw at one time at our place was 21 mixed does and bucks... from one window. It was like "Children of the Corn, Whitetail Version."
The most bucks - 7 at a time. The time that there were 21 deer at once, there were 7 bucks, and there was another time when it was Only bucks in the yard.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=69639&

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

He looks tasty.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Blueberries... We're having to do a lot of work on the bushes, and next year we're hoping to get some bigger crops.
Spoiler: show
Attachment:
sml 20190619_153855.jpg

Attachment:
sml20190619_153907.jpg

The garden has not been our highest priority this spring.
Attachment:
sml20190619_153936.jpg

We've been eating peppers almost daily for a few weeks... The plants did not take off in size, but they've been putting on a bit of fruit.
Attachment:
sml20190619_154146.jpg

One of 3 fig trees. The Ovcharka leaned against the smallest fig tree, and it's been stunted ever since.
The 3rd had a cherry tree get left in a pot near it while we were full time in Montana, and the cherry put down roots. I really love cherries, so considering sacrificing the fig tree that's under the shade of the cherry tree now.
Attachment:
sml20190619_154305.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shameless plug here,,,

For anyone thinking about building raised planters, I can supply you with beautiful Red Cedar lumber.

Don't use toxic treated lumber or fir/hemlock that will rot away in a couple years. Our Red Cedar will last for many years and provide food that is free of poisonous toxins.

My prices are fair and better than most other sources and my quality is MUCH higher.

Shoot me a PM with your needs.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Shameless plug here,,,

For anyone thinking about building raised planters, I can supply you with beautiful Red Cedar lumber.

Don't use toxic treated lumber or fir/hemlock that will rot away in a couple years. Our Red Cedar will last for many years and provide food that is free of poisonous toxins.

My prices are fair and better than most other sources and my quality is MUCH higher.

Good to know.

I used heartwood redwood from my picnic table I built in 1990 - never coated, stained, treated. Almost 30 years.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An example

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
Shameless plug here,,,

Good to know.

I used heartwood redwood from my picnic table I built in 1990 - never coated, stained, treated. Almost 30 years.

Redwood is good shit to. I mill lots of redwood, but mostly for large slabs and not lumber.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both raspberry patches are doing great. Both red and golden varieties.

Attachment:
51363468-0DBC-4F74-95FF-23B03A730417.jpeg
Attachment:
2AB7ADD3-ADB2-4476-AF82-A56D73242285.jpeg

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The strawberry trailer.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

“Stuff” in the beds.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rose in the greenhouse it sticking thru the roof!
Attachment:
AD99E9FF-C673-41F5-B60F-57C5561923BD.jpeg

Booberries
Attachment:
2D6BD8FC-91FF-4D26-B3E2-BD337B862CB4.jpeg

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:19 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Looks like you are in about the same boat with blueberries.
Our cherry and pear trees have fairly low fruit quantity this year too... Apples loaded up heavy, but every other fruit tree (except figs) are light this year. Gah!

The missus Dread Princess has been busting my, uhm, "chops" to set up raised beds.
"This year?" I ask innocently and seriously.
I only receive a threatening glare in reply, so it looks like building more raised beds is going to be hydraulically pressed into my already bursting schedule.

Our old raised beds were built from cedar and fir, and they lasted for almost 10 years. Hardly any difference between the fir and cedar that I used. I've found that some cedar trees are more rot resistant than others, and not referring to heart vs sap. It seemed to correlate more to whether its feet were wet or not.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice vegetable gardens, guys. I've let my gardening go as of late, and so I mostly have mint and tomatillos. Everywhere.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:46 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pruning the blueberry bushes today and potting the better cuttings.
Now comes the very long wait to see how many survive and actually send out roots. Blueberry bushes are hit and miss for me. Some batches I get almost 100% success, others a very low success rate. Gah.

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got hops growing like mad on our deer fence. I need some info on when to pick them, and drying them?

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next