Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Flag that lasts longer than a year? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this illuminated well enough? I don't like the shadows. I tried to shine the light from the side, but it's not happy in that position.

Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Received my new Annin flag today, just in time for Memorial Day. Thanks for the lead on the quality flag guys. Outstanding Flag!

Sun May 26, 2019 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That will work. Thanks for Flying Old glory too Snozz, we need more Americans to do that. :flag:

I fly mine 24/7 365, It's Memorial day everyday at my house. God bless America and those that have served her.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with usr...

It's effort over efficiency, for me, anyways...

Sun May 26, 2019 9:13 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

usrifle wrote:
......I fly mine 24/7 365, It's Memorial day everyday at my house. God bless America and those that have served her.

I also fly mine 24/7 365. 20 foot flagpole in the front yard.
One of the first things I installed when we move in to our house back in 1991.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sun May 26, 2019 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
usrifle wrote:
......I fly mine 24/7 365, It's Memorial day everyday at my house. God bless America and those that have served her.

I also fly mine 24/7 365. 20 foot flagpole in the front yard.
One of the first things I installed when we move in to our house back in 1991.

:bow: If i didn't have a 35 foot Tree curbside i would have a Flagpole in my front yard. My retirement house will though, as well as a Gadsden Flag and a Foxhole with sandbags to protect them.
I won't have much else to do than Man it, i think i need something belt fed to complete the position though.
You know, In a State that allows FA Freedom. That's where i want to be.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 26, 2019 9:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

update on the solar light that i bought:
over the last 3 cloudy days it did not have enough charge to light up at night. last night it did light up but the 2 nights before it did not, so my guess is that it's daily charge is only good for 1 night (i kept it on "high" setting)

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stumbled across this thread again and thought of another flag etiquette thing it seems a lot of people miss--never flying another flag higher than the U.S. flag. At least not on U.S. soil.

A great many of my immediate neighbours are elderly--original owners from when Robinswood was developed in the 1950's--and just love themselves those "seasonal" garden flags and house flags. There is a weird tendency to fly these flags either at equal height or higher than the U.S. flag. I don't know, maybe they don't think of these sorts of decorative flags as flags?

Even my neighbours to the immediate west, both of whom work in tech (T-Mobile and Google) and both of whom are naturalized U.S. citizens hailing from India, fly their U.S. flag correctly--lit, and with any other flag or banner flying or hung lower than the U.S. flag. Bear in mind that Amit (the husband) seriously does not know how to operate a lawnmower (lawns are not a thing in India, and he and Amira, his wife, previously lived in a condo before buying the house), yet he knew enough to hang his flags correctly. One is the U.S. flag, the other some kind of banner meant to keep evil away from the house and their infant daughter.

FWIW, Evergreen sells a double garden flag holder with one arm very slightly--like 1/2"--higher than the other. The U.S. flag is hung on the slightly higher arm, the flag of Canada (or whatever--this is just me) is hung on the slightly lower arm. I'm so OCD about this rule of flag etiquette that even the windsocks flying on my porch--one modelled on the U.S. flag, one modelled on the Canadian flag--are aligned so that the Canadian flag windsock is very, very slightly lower than the U.S. flag windsock.

Anyway. The point of this thread was to recommend flagmakers, not to complain about flag code violations. Annin Flagmakers is my go to brand every damn day of the week.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anybody tried to put a 4x6 flag on a 6foot pole? I'd rather get a larger flag than the 3x5 I currently have.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Has anybody tried to put a 4x6 flag on a 6foot pole? I'd rather get a larger flag than the 3x5 I currently have.

The general rule is for the length of the flag to be 1/4 to 1/3 of the pole height on a vertical pole

For a pole attached to the house you can use the height from the ground rather than the pole itself

It's just a general rule though. The top of my boom is about 73' off the ground but I went with a 15x25' flag. Slightly 'oversized'

The other thing I need to get is a half staff ribbon. For flags that can't be lowered to half staff a black ribbon is an acceptable alternative. I can't lower to half staff since the bottom of the flag isn't attached to the boom and it will start flying around if the breeze is up

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in the 3rd floor. My flag pole is 6ft long, at a 45 degree angle.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 4x6 should be more than acceptable in that case

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
A 4x6 should be more than acceptable in that case

I went and looked at the pole, figured out where the 4' would land on the pole, how it would hang. I think it'll be great. Ordered up the 4x6 Annin NylGlo. I'm excited for a new bright colorful flag. It's also lightweight nylon so should fly in the wind better than the poly one I have.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you burn nylon flags? Polyester? Given that Spokane burns all their trash in their incinerator, can I just throw them away? (Just kidding, please don’t kill me)

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
How do you burn nylon flags? Polyester? Given that Spokane burns all their trash in their incinerator, can I just throw them away? (Just kidding, please don’t kill me)

You can take it to your local American Legion and they will dispose of it properly

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next