Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 OG Woods/Logging 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow OG awesome thread I have really been out of it not to see this thread earlier. Beautiful Western Red Cedar pic. As a former forester, really liked seeing the old logging arch pictures.

Went to UC Berkeley for my forestry degree. Our building at Mulford Hall had halls lined with domestic softwood/hardwood and tropical hardwood slabs of all stripes, all beautifully finished. Pretty amazing.

Miss my days of working with logging contractors and falling sub-contractors. I remember one of our timber falling sub-contractors let me help out pounding wedges into the backcut when dropping a 180' tall Sugar Pine in the central Sierra Nevada that was 88" in diameter at breast height. The main thing I remember was running like hell when the top of that tree started moving and the faller said for us to 'git :bigsmile: The butt log @ 32' long was something like 8800 or 9800 square feet clean and knot-free, can't remember exactly icon_eek

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Wow OG awesome thread I have really been out of it not to see this thread earlier. Beautiful Western Red Cedar pic. As a former forester, really liked seeing the old logging arch pictures.

Went to UC Berkeley for my forestry degree. Our building at Mulford Hall had halls lined with domestic softwood/hardwood and tropical hardwood slabs of all stripes, all beautifully finished. Pretty amazing.

Miss my days of working with logging contractors and falling sub-contractors. I remember one of our timber falling sub-contractors let me help out pounding wedges into the backcut when dropping a 180' tall Sugar Pine in the central Sierra Nevada that was 88" in diameter at breast height. The main thing I remember was running like hell when the top of that tree started moving and the faller said for us to 'git :bigsmile: The butt log @ 32' long was something like 8800 or 9800 square feet clean and knot-free, can't remember exactly icon_eek

Nice! Any pics from your adventures?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1 John Deere on tracks
2 Old edger that was laid to rest.
3 Old Stetson Ross planer that is keeping the edger company.
4 The original GilChrist/Hercules TimberJack made in the Willapa Harbor IronWorksof South Bend. They have been there since 1890.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting! I have a jack VERY similar to that one. The body is slightly different. It was being used as a building jack, but I was told it was RR in origin.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chains wrote:
Interesting! I have a jack VERY similar to that one. The body is slightly different. It was being used as a building jack, but I was told it was RR in origin.

Lots of RR jacks out there. The design difference is that the RR jacks are tooth to tooth like a modern HiLift brand jack.

A timber jack is gear driven. it has a toothed gear wheel with a cog on the handle that winds them up. The timber jack also has a split saddle that can be wedged into logs for rolling/splitting them. A timber jack also has a cupped plate on the bottom for traction/flotation. A RR jack usually just has a notch up top and a flat plate bottom.

RR jack are also cast iron and kinda brittle and dont like logs falling/rolling onto them.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This shows the workings.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

s.

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Sorry for the hijack, OG your work is awesome!

No problem! Cool pics.

I might have that pic of the Simpson log from Grisdale.

I have over 1000 pics and slides of Simpson timber from the Grisdale/Govey/Wynoochee era. I have all the pics and slides that were taken by Len Hunter during his career as the head forester for the mason county area during the 50s/60s/70s.

Many pics of some of the last LARGE old growth from above Vance creek/High steel and lots of pics of Grisdale and the building of Wynooche Dam.

Lots of history in that area.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to revive this.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water logging. Old growth cedar. Over 500 years old.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OG Cedar

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today’s second/third growth grain.

Attachment:
B5A38B0D-FB45-48B4-A092-C70B4D5F0B7E.jpeg

Old growth tight grain.
Attachment:
78250178-0E22-4491-82AD-9CB7A370E7A3.jpeg

That cut is a 3/8” chainsaw kerf for size comparison of the grain count. Notice the grain lines are as fine as the lines on my fingerprints .
Attachment:
BA00DACB-7143-42C5-AAEA-130DF22DB458.jpeg

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next