Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Brake Fluid Flush? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks - what I'm hearing is do it.

On this in particular, it wasn't "it needs to be done because <insert problem here>...." the recommendation was "We recommend that you do it every 30K miles." I'll check the color of the fluid and have it done in the fall when I change the tires at the local shop I trust. Honda has maintenance sensors for most of the fluids etc., but I've never seen one for brake fluid - and my last Honda van (different dealership) didn't bring it up in 7 years.

For the record, the last time I was in the dealership, they recommended new tires. I said nah. Took it my normal shop (Big Shout out to Interstate Tire in Burien) and the guy said, "Well, you've got x wear, so you should be good for at least a year minimum, but if you want to be really cautious come see in the fall. We can check the wear then and you might want to get new tires before the weather hits."

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:16 am

Selador wrote:
Capn Blood wrote:
~
Scotty Kilmer, mechanic for 51 years (he's on youtube) says yes

WHAT????!!?? He didn't say that something was going to KILL YOUR CAR!!!! And never to do that?

He's the king of click bait but 99% of the time he's got good stuff

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capn Blood wrote:
Selador wrote:
Capn Blood wrote:
~
Scotty Kilmer, mechanic for 51 years (he's on youtube) says yes

WHAT????!!?? He didn't say that something was going to KILL YOUR CAR!!!! And never to do that?

He's the king of click bait but 99% of the time he's got good stuff

:wink05: :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do it on my stuff.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beware, I do this shit for a living, for many years..

Yes it needs to be done.
Yes it goes bad when mixed with atmosphere and normal wear on moving parts (pistons on master and calipers).

My personal rigs, I suck out old and put in fresh in the master cylinder every fall, keeps the shit a bit fresher. Do a full flush when relining any axle (replacing brake pads)
Now..... with newer rigs, on most all, it isn't so simple as just bleeding the brakes to get fresh fluid through it. Many rigs need the scanner tool just to bleed the brakes AND to do a service bleed that a off the shelf code scanner will not do.

Brakes are one of my hot points, do it right or take the bus deal. I've fired people for doing it half assed putting them on the soup line, myself and my family are on the streets and don't need to injured because some shit shop did it half assed.
Use a reputable shop, one that has the proper equipment to do the job right.

There's a semi cool dude with a really cool blue and white Mustang on here that has a shop and I know he'll have the right tools and knows what he's doing.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My biggest issue lately with my old stuff is the quality of parts. Brakes have been the downfall of my last couple vintage rigs, ones that i have done entire replacements on the systems. The master cylinder goes out within a year or 2. I'll be doing my '65 camino this weekend if i get time

Also a lot of brake shoes that wont fit old or new drums without arcing

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:40 pm

I do every 2 years on the jeep and every year on my gti with the upgraded brake package. More than a few times I've made the pads start to smoke on windy roads. I run motol 600* and havent had a squishy pedal yet.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:29 pm

I've got a 1984 Chevy Blazer, I use DOT 5 in it exclusively. It has had the purple stuff since new. Rolled off the line with it.

How do I know?, Silicone fluid was spec for the contract the .gov placed when they ordered all those CUCV Chevy trucks and Blazers.

Attachment:
cucv.jpg

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hal O'Peridol wrote:
I've got a 1984 Chevy Blazer, I use DOT 5 in it exclusively. It has had the purple stuff since new. Rolled off the line with it.

How do I know?, Silicone fluid was spec for the contract the .gov placed when they ordered all those CUCV Chevy trucks and Blazers.

Attachment:
cucv.jpg

You should actually have a warning label on the fill reservoir....

Attachment:
download (6).jpg

:D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:36 am

Yep, it's there.

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:
Thanks - what I'm hearing is do it.

On this in particular, it wasn't "it needs to be done because <insert problem here>...." the recommendation was "We recommend that you do it every 30K miles." I'll check the color of the fluid and have it done in the fall when I change the tires at the local shop I trust. Honda has maintenance sensors for most of the fluids etc., but I've never seen one for brake fluid - and my last Honda van (different dealership) didn't bring it up in 7 years.

For the record, the last time I was in the dealership, they recommended new tires. I said nah. Took it my normal shop (Big Shout out to Interstate Tire in Burien) and the guy said, "Well, you've got x wear, so you should be good for at least a year minimum, but if you want to be really cautious come see in the fall. We can check the wear then and you might want to get new tires before the weather hits."

I'm not a mechanic. My brakes were getting soft. A system flush corrected it. Good idea to flush it regularly. 2 years might be overkill, but it should be done regularly.

With tires there's two factors, wear and age. Wear occurs on the tread, but also the sidewall. Look for signs of cracking on the sidewall, drying out of the tire, etc. The date of manufacture is stamped on the sidewall in a date code. It's recommended that tires be younger than 6 years. That might be a bit of an over-aggressive replacement cycle (much like the "change your oil every 3 months or 3000 miles, which is false) and having said that, I have driven on tires as old as a dozen years. icon_eek Always replace tires as a pair or as a set.

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2