Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 ATF Changes it's Mind About Length w/Braces 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
spaghetti monster wrote:
MadPick wrote:
All right ... time out.

I just went back and read the original ATF letter. Follow the link in the OP, and read the letter.

We’ve been using the conclusion that “the brace doesn’t count,” but I think that’s incorrect. What they’re saying is that if you have a FOLDING brace (or presumably telescoping?), then you need to measure the gun with the brace in the folded position.

That’s a very, very different scenario for many of us.

I agree here. The first paragraph says it all. "...you ask about the correct way to measure a firearm equipped with a 'stabalizing brace' AND a folding adapter"

From the letter:

Quote:
Even if stationary however, only standard receiver extensions will be considered in overall length measurements. For example, accessories (extensions) that have superfluous material are not included in the overall length measurement because they are intended to circumvent the law and serve no purpose in the function of the firearm.

Ahh. I could only read the first page on my phone.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

RocketScott wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Clicking links and reading posts on a website doesn’t make it true or verified.

Do you think that the letter from the U.S. Department of Justice is fake?

Have you heard of Prince Law?

All I asked was if anyone took the time to investigate the validity of the claim. It’s the internet and not an official government website.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Clicking links and reading posts on a website doesn’t make it true or verified.

Do you think that the letter from the U.S. Department of Justice is fake?

Have you heard of Prince Law?

All I asked was if anyone took the time to investigate the validity of the claim. It’s the internet and not an official government website.

It's an official government letter

Prince Law has been around for a while and is a well regarded

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It makes perfect sense why is the firearms community so up in arms (pun) about it?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
It makes perfect sense why is the firearms community so up in arms (pun) about it?

Because it was previously NOT the case, and there are thousands of people who have firearms that are now suddenly NFA items without tax stamps. In other words, they were following previous ATF guidance to stay within the law, and that has now been reversed, putting them in violation of the law. It's not that hard to understand why people would be pissed.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
dan360 wrote:

Because it was previously NOT the case, and there are thousands of people who have firearms that are now suddenly NFA items without tax stamps. In other words, they were following previous ATF guidance to stay within the law, and that has now been reversed, putting them in violation of the law. It's not that hard to understand why people would be pissed.

Did they state it or was it something not stated previously in regards to the brace vs stock?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
dan360 wrote:

Did they state it or was it something not stated previously in regards to the brace vs stock?

Much like bump stocks, designs were submitted to the ATF for approval and got the thumps up :thumbsup2:

Now they are saying that those designs are AOWs and illegal without paying $200 for a stamp :secretshake:

So how does that work if you want to actually be legit? You bought a factory gun that was approved under the old rule but now you must register it as an AOW. Do you submit a form 1 and now you're the maker and have to get it engraved again? Do you turn it back in to an SOT and they do a form 4? after the original maker reclassifies it?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
dan360 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
dan360 wrote:

Much like bump stocks, designs were submitted to the ATF for approval and got the thumps up :thumbsup2:

Now they are saying that those designs are AOWs and illegal without paying $200 for a stamp :secretshake:

So how does that work if you want to actually be legit? You bought a factory gun that was approved under the old rule but now you must register it as an AOW. Do you submit a form 1 and now you're the maker and have to get it engraved again? Do you turn it back in to an SOT and they do a form 4? after the original maker reclassifies it?

I can’t locate the approval letter for a braced thing in the fully locked unfolded position being A-OK. If someone knows where to find that approval letter a link would be awesome.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
dan360 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
dan360 wrote:

I can’t locate the approval letter for a braced thing in the fully locked unfolded position being A-OK. If someone knows where to find that approval letter a link would be awesome.

Uhh, go read the letter again. Both pages

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to know what is legal....read the laws. No offense to anyone, but depending on "translation of law" by a LEA is a fools gambit as this flip-flop shows.

Lets face it...ANY law which infringes on firearms ownership of any kind is constitutionally null and void. Either do want you want, or play their stupid games, but dont bitch about it when you're riding the razors edge and the board shifts.

If you skirt the law, eventually your practices are going to fall on the wrong side of the line. The house ALWAYS wins eventually. If you don't like it.... maybe put more time into considering that it's time to clean and re-organize the damn house.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5