Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 OG Woods/Logging 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
That OG Cedar is amazing! That will be some high dollar stuff i am sure. The Gate? Hell yeah, that's a Manly Gate right there.
I need to come see you OG, i need some wood for a Project. I'm not even sure of the Project yet, but i'm sure i can figure one out after seeing what's available.

I built/welded up all the hinges so it swings like it weighs only a couple pounds!

Ive got some nice Redwood that could persuade/inspire you to build something nice!

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a friends barn. He built it for his daughters wedding. He has been a local logger for over 40 years. He likes axes to!

I milled all of the wood in the doors from old Boeing Plant 2 beams that were reclaimed during the demo. All nice OG Doug Fir. The door handles are old logging togs that are split on half.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Barn and Door are both awesome. :thumbsup2:
That Axe collection? Wow....the Handle on the one more centered that appears closest grabbed my eye. That Handle shape seems very Leverage friendly.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Old Growth wrote:
This is a friends barn. He built it for his daughters wedding. He has been a local logger for over 40 years. He likes axes to!

I milled all of the wood in the doors from old Boeing Plant 2 beams that were reclaimed during the demo. All nice OG Doug Fir. The door handles are old logging togs that are split on half.

That is beautiful!
Did you build the door too, or was that done by the owner? It looks wide, so wondering how the hinges do in supporting it.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He built the door. I believe the hinges are old railroad hinges. Boxcar maybe. Illl have to ask him.

The doors are HUGE. Much bigger than they look. He is a pretty crafty fella. One of these days Ill have to get some pics of the inside and the awesome chandeliers he built.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:37 am

PMB wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
1, Truck mounted V8 flathead ford powered double drum Skagit Yarder.
2 & 3, 1941 Chain driven Ford logging truck. On either a Mack or Cooks conversion suspension.
4, Tracked log arch

All very cool!
Please expand on the tracked log arch. :drool:
I can't tell you how many times a smaller version of this would have been invaluable in a project... Basically would have saved projects from having to be held up until summer. I have two log arches (wheeled) that are great, but not as cool as that tracked one.

How often do you use it? How large a machine do you need to pull it? I'm going to be looking at building a smaller version here after the new mill is finished.

I'm building one about half that size from heavy 3 inch tube. I have timberland that hasn't been cut since the 60s except for my road and homesite

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capn Blood wrote:
I'm building one about half that size from heavy 3 inch tube. I have timberland that hasn't been cut since the 60s except for my road and homesite

Whatcha using for tires?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve spliced cable, but today I taught myself to splice rope. I have a job where I need to splice 2” dock rope for railings and a swing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You gonna Load test that before anyone rides that swing? :popcorn:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:

That loop is just a try out on some 3/4" plastic rope. The pros say that you need about 3 courses of braid for fiber rope and 5 courses of braid for plastic rope. That one has a dozen braids. It should hold great! Ill probably do 8-10 on the 2" rope just for looks.

Im building the hangers for the swing too. Steel hangers that will go thru a HUGE maple branch that is over 2 feet in diameter. Ill be making the bench out of a Red Cedar log that been milled in half. The 2" rope is old oiled sisal/hemp rope that Ive had for years.

The maple is going in is HUGE. It is over 5-6 feet across and is pretty much one huge burl for the whole trunk. The canopy is covered with small white lights and it looks awesome at night.

Ill get some pics of the tree and swing after its all done.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
usrifle wrote:

That loop is just a try out on some 3/4" plastic rope. The pros say that you need about 3 courses of braid for fiber rope and 5 courses of braid for plastic rope. That one has a dozen braids. It should hold great! Ill probably do 8-10 on the 2" rope just for looks.

Im building the hangers for the swing too. Steel hangers that will go thru a HUGE maple branch that is over 2 feet in diameter. Ill be making the bench out of a Red Cedar log that been milled in half. The 2" rope is old oiled sisal/hemp rope that Ive had for years.

The maple is going in is HUGE. It is over 5-6 feet across and is pretty much one huge burl for the whole trunk. The canopy is covered with small white lights and it looks awesome at night.

Sounds really Cool, i want to see that. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got some nice old growth floats off of Summit today.

(Thanks for the heads up Andy!

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Sounds really Cool, i want to see that. :thumbsup2:

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some shots of the swing. I braided/twisted the rope around a stone under each end for a stopper and then wrapped it all in rusty wire.

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a tree that looks identical to that!

Are they worth anything?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next