Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Delete 

First off, I’m not well versed in electronic. Looking for a user friendly wireless outdoor security camera kit with like 6 cameras max for my place. Not looking for professional security companies, or an expensive subscription service. Any recommendations?

Last edited by Kick start my heart on Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

search fuction aint broke..........

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=94153&hilit=security+cameras%3F

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=88073&hilit=security+cameras%3F
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=88073&hilit=security+cameras%3F

https://www.waguns.org//viewtopic.php?f ... ty+cameras

aww shit you get it :beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5:

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have nest. I’m pretty happy with them. Quality is great, subscriptions that store data in the could rang from 5 to 30 days. Setup is as easy as it gets. Price isn’t to bad. They have a 2 year warranty.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:22 am

mcyclonegt wrote:
I have nest. I’m pretty happy with them. Quality is great, subscriptions that store data in the could rang from 5 to 30 days. Setup is as easy as it gets. Price isn’t to bad. They have a 2 year warranty.

Is that the Google one? Is it wireless, or do you have to run power?

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kick start my heart wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

All the wireless cams need power supplied to them, they just don't need a wired connection to the station.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blink run on a single AAA for 18 months straight. Love them compared to nest.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of new ones came out at this years Consumer's Electronics Show:

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/smart-hom ... -ces-2019/

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:

Blink runs on 2 AA Lithiums with 720P. True capability without being powered by AC is compromised for Camera's, though they are improving.

NWGunner wrote:

That Link is AFU for me. Shows a Big "X" and a weird format. Is it just on my end?

The problem with wireless systems is they can be hacked. You use a remote? You need to Google the issues with them. I won't mention my layers publicly, but a Passive with a secondary "aggressive" system is recommended.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:

NWGunner wrote:

That Link is AFU for me. Shows a Big "X" and a weird format. Is it just on my end?

The problem with wireless systems is they can be hacked. You use a remote? You need to Google the issues with them. I won't mention my layers publicly, but a Passive with a secondary "aggressive" system is recommended.

Wait, you're calling me a Big WHAT?!?

:bigsmile:

Sorry the link didn't work, it worked on my phone...

If anyone Googles 'New Security Cameras CES 2019', they can get that article, and a myriad of others...

I'm not necessarily suggesting someone gets one of those, BUT, some of those are addressing previous issues people have had, similar to what you mentioned, so it's worth looking into.

I also like to check out where the industry is heading, that way I can tell if something actually is a great deal on sale, or if they are dumping bad products prior to the release of the improved one :thumbsup2:

Your direct experience is definitely the more valuable info, though :cheers2:

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
usrifle wrote:

NWGunner wrote:

Wait, you're calling me a Big WHAT?!?

:bigsmile:

Sorry the link didn't work, it worked on my phone...

If anyone Googles 'New Security Cameras CES 2019', they can get that article, and a myriad of others...

I'm not necessarily suggesting someone gets one of those, BUT, some of those are addressing previous issues people have had, similar to what you mentioned, so it's worth looking into.

I also like to check out where the industry is heading, that way I can tell if something actually is a great deal on sale, or if they are dumping bad products prior to the release of the improved one :thumbsup2:

Your direct experience is definitely the more valuable info, though :cheers2:

:bigsmile: I just want to make sure you won't walk out of my house after a break in regardless whether i am home or not.

I like layers of Security. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The link works for me, NWG. I think this may be a PEBPAC issue.

(Is that the correct updated version?)

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kick start my heart wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
I have nest. I’m pretty happy with them. Quality is great, subscriptions that store data in the cloud ranges from 5 to 30 days. Setup is as easy as it gets. Price isn’t to bad. They have a 2 year warranty.

I am not sure who owns them. The do require power, but are WiFi. The power comes off an older phone charger cable. I may have to see how long the camera will run off one of those cheap amazon battery packs. The only ones I am aware of that are rechargeable that have decent quality is Arlo. Do some research on battery life. I have heard it can be lower than advertised. If you are new to cameras the user interface is the big thing. I have had a few different setups and they can get kinda difficult to keep setup if you are not fairly computer savvy.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Last edited by mcyclonegt on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 am

The reason I want to go wireless is we have a lot of power outages where I’m at (no power for 3 days back in February and about a dozen short outages), and it would be inconvenient (asphalt, tree roots, etc) to run ac power to the spots on the property where I want some of the cameras. I get wireless can be hacked, or there are jamming devices. If someone wants to go through that much trouble, a few cameras aren’t likely to deter them anyways. It’s to scare (and record should something happen) off the meth heads who come up in the neighborhood, and break into my neighbors houses/cabins. I’m a full time resident where I live, but 90% of the people here spent less that 30 days total here last year. It attracts tweakers from the outlying areas nearby because some of those places are easy pickings. Living in the “woods” is great for privacy and quiet, but you still see weirdos cruising through out private community. Especially during the holiday season. I have 2 dogs that have been great deterrents. My pit mix especially keeps people from opening the gate to our driveway. I think cameras, security system, and the dogs, are a good start.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I've seen. The Blink is the ONLY wireless "security" camera. The nest is basically an internet enabled webcam.

For example, if your nest goes offline for any reason (including just being off the net or off power) or if one of the phones logged into the nest account goes offline, you loose all security alerts. That's right, if a family member turns off their phone (or even just looses cell phone coverage), Nest just assumes they are always home and never arms notifications on the nest!!

The blink, if it goes offline, it alerts you immediately that it has been taken offline. That and the fact they are cheap and wireless means they can be installed in more places.

Big fan of blink after using nest for years (and sick of it failing, nothing but false positives and false negative alerts).

Nest is cool if you want... a babysitter cam. Where you want to review all the footage of an area where authorized people are active. Blink is good if you need something like a security system where you want alerts when unauthorized people enter an area of concern.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
PinSniper wrote:

Blink runs on 2 AA Lithiums with 720P. True capability without being powered by AC is compromised for Camera's, though they are improving.

Outdoor model is 1080p 2xAA

The ones I bought 2 years ago were single battery AAA, still going strong actually.

I'd be wry about "resolution" claims of any camera. When it comes down to it, encoding quality is a far bigger factor as to quality.

And it really depends what you want the camera to do. If you want it for "security", for me this means immediate notification upon access to an area of concern. The detection, placement and notification capabilities are more critical than outright video quality.

If you want a "monitoring" system, ie. one were you want to review footage with a fine tooth comb, like watching employees, trying to spot slight of hand at the cash register, you're going to want something with excellent video quality.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next