Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Delete 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
From what I've seen. The Blink is the ONLY wireless "security" camera. The nest is basically an internet enabled webcam.

For example, if your nest goes offline for any reason (including just being off the net or off power) or if one of the phones logged into the nest account goes offline, you loose all security alerts. That's right, if a family member turns off their phone (or even just looses cell phone coverage), Nest just assumes they are always home and never arms notifications on the nest!!

The blink, if it goes offline, it alerts you immediately that it has been taken offline. That and the fact they are cheap and wireless means they can be installed in more places.

Big fan of blink after using nest for years (and sick of it failing, nothing but false positives and false negative alerts).

Nest is cool if you want... a babysitter cam. Where you want to review all the footage of an area where authorized people are active. Blink is good if you need something like a security system where you want alerts when unauthorized people enter an area of concern.

I have had nest cams for 3 years now and have never had the issues you experienced. I don't loose security alerts when my wife turns her phone off. I do get them when she is home and she forgets to turn her WiFi back on, which is kind of annoying. But it does not assume a person is home when there phone goes out of signal. You must have had some setting messed up. I also get notified when my cameras go offline, i get an email and a text. I had to turn them on in the settings. I am interested in these blink camera though. I do have issues with the app saying I lost connection when I am not on wifi and trying to review footage. I think it is because to damn many people have nest cams and their network is bogged down.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
PinSniper wrote:
From what I've seen. The Blink is the ONLY wireless "security" camera. The nest is basically an internet enabled webcam.

For example, if your nest goes offline for any reason (including just being off the net or off power) or if one of the phones logged into the nest account goes offline, you loose all security alerts. That's right, if a family member turns off their phone (or even just looses cell phone coverage), Nest just assumes they are always home and never arms notifications on the nest!!

The blink, if it goes offline, it alerts you immediately that it has been taken offline. That and the fact they are cheap and wireless means they can be installed in more places.

Big fan of blink after using nest for years (and sick of it failing, nothing but false positives and false negative alerts).

Nest is cool if you want... a babysitter cam. Where you want to review all the footage of an area where authorized people are active. Blink is good if you need something like a security system where you want alerts when unauthorized people enter an area of concern.

I have had nest cams for 3 years now and have never had the issues you experienced. I don't loose security alerts when my wife turns her phone off. I do get them when she is home and she forgets to turn her WiFi back on, which is kind of annoying. But it does not assume a person is home when there phone goes out of signal. You must have had some setting messed up. I also get notified when my cameras go offline, i get an email and a text. I had to turn them on in the settings. I am interested in these blink camera though. I do have issues with the app saying I lost connection when I am not on wifi and trying to review footage. I think it is because to damn many people have nest cams and their network is bogged down.

So the specific issue I'm talking about with phones is the geo fencing to turn the camera on/off. If you are home and turn your phone off, the nest system will assume you remain home, indefinitely and prevent the system from arming. This also happens if the app spontaneously doesn't use location anymore and the last location you were at was at home.

Do you use the nest came for "security"? As in get notifications when it detects movement? I would get about 2 false positives a week. False negatives, I can't count, but in my manual intrusion tests, I would often find the next turned off despite being in a condition in which it should have been armed.

This coupled with lousy support and monthly fee, it was worthless AND costly (both in time and money).

I still have the nest... it still gets the false positives, I just don't have it installed on my phone anymore.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a RING 2 and I can even talk to the person at my front door. I also just bought a two camera blink system for my new home.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hacked my Blink cameras to use D cell batteries for super long life even with longer recording times and hi intensity settings on the lights/flash.

Also use a very large battery pack used for charging cell phones to power the base station.

Even if power goes out our 4G wifi hotspot (battery powered) we still have coverage for several days until I need to recharge batteries.

Going to add an Arlo camera and base so we can have the voice/speaker abilities.

Also there are several game cameras located in several hard to find places. The ones with 4G send pics directly to my phone.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2