Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 OG Woods/Logging 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
I've got a tree that looks identical to that!

Are they worth anything?

They are kinda like a lottery ticket. Might be a winner or a loser. But ya gotta have one to maybe win!

Sometimes they look like a burl, and don't look very interesting once ya cut them and other times they look normal and end up being crazy inside.

Get it on the ground, look inside, see if its solid, and if its got any burl, figure, spalt.

If all else fails, its worth $200 a cord!!

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello All, I picked up several round slabs from a weeping willow that was recently cut down. Slabs are about 4' diam x 6" thick. What's the best way to preserve / prep them for table making? If it's not desirable for any kind of furniture, I'll just use them for throwing hatchet / knife targets, they were free. Thanks for any advice you can give a total novice!

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:

Are they worth anything?

It could be it all depends on what the insides look like

Albert Einstein

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RadioSquatch wrote:
Selador wrote:

Are they worth anything?

It could be it all depends on what the insides look like

Well, I'm not going to cut it open to find out! :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Hello All, I picked up several round slabs from a weeping willow that was recently cut down. Slabs are about 4' diam x 6" thick. What's the best way to preserve / prep them for table making? If it's not desirable for any kind of furniture, I'll just use them for throwing hatchet / knife targets, they were free. Thanks for any advice you can give a total novice!

Those are likely to crack radially as they dry, unless you hole out the pith

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:

Willow may or may not crack real bad. Painting the ends will help slow down the drying/cracking.

I may grow lots of surface mold tho.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Chip wrote:

Willow may or may not crack real bad. Painting the ends will help slow down the drying/cracking.

Well, you've nailed it so far. The thinnest piece was on top of the stack for a couple weeks getting direct sun, and has already cracked. The slab on the bottom was on dirt and has grown mold.
What would be best to paint on it? And thanks!

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Old Growth wrote:

Occasional showering may help with that.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
Chip wrote:

Well, you've nailed it so far. The thinnest piece was on top of the stack for a couple weeks getting direct sun, and has already cracked. The slab on the bottom was on dirt and has grown mold.

Shellac works well to seal the end grain of the wood to help prevent cracking (or more accurately slow down moisture going out the end grain faster than the long grain).

Bee's wax works well too if you have it available, otherwise it's too expensive.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Occasional showering may help with that.

Well seasoned! :bigsmile:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
Chip wrote:

It may grow lots of surface mold tho.

There are specialty products available like "AnchorSeal" etc, but the cheapest that still works good is some good ole left over latex paint put on thick or twice. If you had some exotic or big money wood maybe spring for the fancy stuff, but I would just latex it.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info guys!

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my Uncle Bill cutting cedar. He logged in Alaska for many years working with Columbia Helicopter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn. That photo really puts things into perspective. icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me, knocking down a 170 footer.

Small stuff compared to west coast British Columbia stuff I worked on when I was younger.

Timber between River's Inlet and Knights Inlet was huge. Stuff on the Sechelt Peninsula was still big wood, a lot of tracts that were never logged, or had not been logged since the axe, springboard, and hand saw days.

Lots of trees were long butted - they cut off and left the bottom 10- 20 feet of the log from the stump because the grain might have some shake to it, which was considered to be undesirable, unsellable wood back then. I hand milled, and Alaska milled some awesome slabs from the remaining sound wood from some of those left overs. Most of the old growth cedar was dark colored - like coffee with a hint of milk tossed in, and ring count was up around 50 years per inch - you needed a magnifying glass to count growth rings.

One long butt, half rotted into the forest floor, we rolled up on rounds to cut edge grain slabs from freehand, because the remaining half was just under 5 feet thick from outside edge to the rot line, which was still way off the original center line of the log. I cut 8 slabs 4-6 inches thick and all 4-5 feet wide, 6 slabs 4-6 inches thick and all 3-4 feet wide, before I started cutting smaller slabs using the Alaska mill for the " little slabs ".

All I have left from those days is a small collection of choice burl slabs, and a big ass piece of redwood burl I cut from a stump in northern California at a buddies acreage one year way back when. Oh, and some clear yellow cedar dimensional lumber. And some other stuff. And some stuff I have forgotten about that is around here somewhere. Plus firewood.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next