Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 275  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ribeyes...That was some good Cow. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

black bean jalapeno steak taco.......

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eggs, SPAM, spam eggs and spam... (really!)

I was this many years old (as they say in the common vernacular) when I first tried SPAM.

I had thrown 3 cans in with my preps a year or so back, and since the infamous Door Project is STILL unresolved (and unpaid) I thought it would be a good time to work the SPAM into the rotation. Even SPAM has an expiration date and I have to consume two more cans of it by June, next.

Not bad... just not good. Even the reduced sodium stuff is excessively salty. For the amount of nutirent and protein one gets from it, dollar for dollar it just isn't a great prepper food source.... but, I had to try.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

I was this many years old (as they say in the common vernacular) when I first tried SPAM.

I had thrown 3 cans in with my preps a year or so back, and since the infamous Door Project is STILL unresolved (and unpaid) I thought it would be a good time to work the SPAM into the rotation. Even SPAM has an expiration date and I have to consume two more cans of it by June, next.

Not bad... just not good. Even the reduced sodium stuff is excessively salty. For the amount of nutirent and protein one gets from it, dollar for dollar it just isn't a great prepper food source.... but, I had to try.

Mix them in with other stuff to cut down on the salt. I love them in breakfast burritos or in loco moco.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

Spam Musubi!!!even add egg they are awesome with breakfast burritos too.. mac and spam

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:18 pm

cmica wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Spam Musubi!!!even add egg they are awesome with breakfast burritos too.. mac and spam

Hawaii's gift the the world is musubi.

My family loves spam, my son goes crazy over it. I could cook those guys my Hawaiian fried rice 4 times a week and they wouldnt get sick of it. It makes a good sandwich when cut the big way fried good on the outside with lettuce tomato and onion with thick mayo. Its surprising how it can be used to replace meat or just come up with stuff.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
cmica wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Hawaii's gift the the world is musubi.

My family loves spam, my son goes crazy over it. I could cook those guys my Hawaiian fried rice 4 times a week and they wouldnt get sick of it. It makes a good sandwich when cut the big way fried good on the outside with lettuce tomato and onion with thick mayo. Its surprising how it can be used to replace meat or just come up with stuff.

:thumbsup2: :bow: :bow:

made grill cheese and spam last night .. I need to go buy some sticky rice

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all this talk of damn musubi's I caved in..........

spam and chicken

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm smoking some Pork Loin chops. A little SPG for seasoning and some "Sweetwood" Pellets from Lamrith.
Asian salad mix to go with it, maybe find some Applesauce in the Cupboard too.
:thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pork picnic roast in the smoker.
Salted it down overnight. Hickory chips. Rosemary and thyme out of the garden in the bath. Smells Awesome. Looks great. Getting hungry.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Found a corned beef brisket (store bought) my dad gave me last year in the freezer. Thought what the Hell. Thawed it and soaked it in cold water for six hours. Smoked for five and finished for five on the Weber charcoal grill.

Smoked Corned Beef 'Pastrami-ish' on rye. Will be doing again.

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pheasant breast dinner, shot this morning and retrieved by Huey

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:13 pm

JohnMBrowning wrote:

Ran across this vid of using corn starch to coat the chicken that sounds interesting....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9kC1rCIDHg&t=32s
Thinking it would be interesting to see what the corn starch would do after dry brining the chicken.... I think the guy in the vid screwed up by not seasoning the pieces with the CS much before cooking.

So.... this cornstarch coating had me really intrigued and I had to try it. The first try was with five legs --- I dry brined with rub ~6-7 hours (much shorter than my typical 16-24 hours) and then coated the legs with CS in a bag -- it didn't take that much CS to coat the legs and I *may have* over done it - two non-heaping spoons into the bag with the 5 legs and it was a pretty thick coating. Grilled them up as usual and slathered with thinned bbq sauce..... It was interesting to watch them cook - took a while for the CS to change from a white powdery coating, but it DID make the skin a nice golden brown! I felt bad adding sauce to a nice crispy piece of chicken.... Final results --- I was kinda disappointed that the legs turned out kinda dry and not as flavorful as the thighs I'm used to, but still very good.
Thinking about it, I think it was because the skin on the legs was un-split not allowing the rub into the meat and the shorter brine time.

Since it showed good promise, I decided to try again with thighs.... five thighs rubbed, dry brined for 24 hours and just enough cornstarch to coat without making it 'powdery white' (I didn't want to ruin the chicken). Grilled with the smoke box in the gas grill, slathered with sauce per usual..... It was interesting to see that the skin on the thighs browned up crispy without blackening - again felt bad about coating with sauce.... but they turned out FANTASTIC!!!! Nice browned coating all around and amazingly juicy inside! I think what is happening is that the cornstarch absorbs the juices and fat before it drips away, forming a nice 'crust' of flavor on the surface.... probably helps keep the moisture in the meat too.

I will definitely be doing this again with the thighs... a bit heavier coating next time since the thighs are so juicy. I can't wait to try this method for chicken in the cast iron skillet when the weather makes grilling a chore - I think it is going to be awesome! Also, trying to figure out what kind of 'second rub' I can put on with the cornstarch and forego the sauce to have a bake/roasted/drier/non-sticky type of chicken.... using a Memphis rub (with brown sugar) for the first rub/brine is kinda my standard --- thinking a lemon pepper or Montreal rub for the second could be good.

I've been searching for the 'secret' to take my chicken to the 'next level'..... the cornstarch was a very easy addition that made a substantial difference. Next time I will be sure to get pics.....

Anyone pan frying or using an air fryer should give it a try!
It would have been perfect for the pheasant in the previous post....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Bought a Gotham Steel Pro frying pan set, as seen on TV (sorta, the costco one is much thicker, better handle, and larger)
So I cooked a hard candy like they did in the commercial.

200F started to melt.
250F melting
300F looked like a tablespoon of cough syrup.
350F very light, forms droplets and bead down the pan. Can wipe it right off with a paper towel like water.
450F Forgot about it. Turned into a black sticky mess between the consistency of molasses and road tar.
But could still wipe it off with only a paper towel. Took a little effort.
Pan looks like new.

$29.99 at Costco warehouse for a two piece set ($8 more shipped).
Seem pretty well made.
https://www.costco.com/Gotham-Steel-Pro ... 65947.html

Edit: Tried cooking a fried egg without oil at the recommended medium heat.
(about 300F according to the infrared thermometer, electric range set exactly half way.)
Egg slid around in the pan like it was on ice. Not a single spot of resistance.
Both sides.
You really can tilt the pan and have the egg slide out onto a plate without using a spatula.
In fact, hard to pick up with a spatula because it just pushes the egg away.
Looked like a poached egg. Not a single brown mark on it.
I look forward to playing around with these pans.
A if it starts sticking, back to costco they go.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a couple of months of regular use, it will be a piece of sticky crap. I've tried just about every gimmick pan out there and at first, they seem amazing, but after a couple of months.... garbage. I've gone to T-Fal SS:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Fal-Perfor ... CDEALw_wcB
Even if I burn something I can still use any type of scrubber to clean it without worrying about hurting the finish.
Also, I found cast iron pans to be amazing. Once seasoned properly they are better than Teflon. Also, my Blackstone griddle is amazing.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 275  Next