Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Best Coffee 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Pablo wrote:
Two words. Brasil sock.

Whaaat? Surely you don't mean filtering your coffee through your Brazilian socks?!

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Two words. Brasil sock.

Whaaat? Surely you don't mean filtering your coffee through your Brazilian socks?!

Not human socks but rather cloth filter somewhat in the shape of a tube sock. Best coffee.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

:rofl9:
Rutilate wrote:
These people are disqualified from commenting:
  • Anyone making cowboy coffee
  • Anyone using an automatic espresso machine
  • Anyone who finds anything from Starbucks palatable (unless they go to the Roastery)
  • Anyone who puts sugar or cream in their coffee!

:cussing:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about a moka pot?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Last edited by Pablo on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:18 pm

Well, ok. As long as you aren’t straining through your socks! :-)

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
Heh. the "best coffee" is wasted on you troglodytes! :ROFLMAO:

"Best Coffee" is a function of bean varietal, growing elevation/climate, processing method, roasting process, age of bean post-roasting, and preparation method.
  • Anyone who finds anything from Starbucks palatable (unless they go to the Roastery)

If you want really, really good coffee, go ask for a pour-over at Olympia Coffee in Tacoma or Olympia. Or, if you're cool, come over and I'll make you some great coffee that is sweet enough to not need sugar to mask the ugly burned out taste.

:yes:

I know a little about coffee..... been roasting artisan coffee for 20 years. There is a saying in the specialty coffee industry "crop to cup"..... ever step matters. If you want the "best coffee", buy coffee from a small roaster who focuses on quality.

IMO the best coffee is a pour over (chemical free paper filter and filtered water heated in a kettle... bring to a boil and pull off the stove.... wait ~30 seconds and then pour... your pour should be ~ 3 minutes. Too fast your grind is too course, too slow it's too fine. The coffee should be 3 - 30 days from when it was roasted for best flavor. Ground just before prep.

I've tried every coffee prep out there. Chemex, vac-pot, drip, cowboy, cold brew, aeropress, turkish, pods and a whole lot of combinations of the above... and a basic ceramic cone with paper filter is the best.

As for espresso, I prefer a lever machine.... hence the name leverhead coffee. The non-linear spring pulls a better shot than a pump driven espresso machine. More control and way less expensive and little maintenance.

As for acidity, 3 things drive acidity.
1) the bean. When I cup (taste) coffee I roast a bunch of samples and taste them. I look for lower acidity coffee.
2) the darker the roast the more acidity you pull out of the bean
3) prep. the higher the pressure (e.g. espresso) the more acidity in the cup.... so espresso should start with a low acidity coffee.

As Rutilate said sweetness is in the bean. Natural processed green coffee has more sweetness than washed, but some folks don't like really fruity coffees, I do. And if over roasted you never will taste the sweetness. Your roaster will either pull the sweetness out of the bean or burn it off. There is a balance of roasting to pull more complex flavors out of a bean.... not too sweet, not too roasted. Elevation where it's grown matters too. Higher grown coffee is more dense and can take a darker roast without tasting burned. Low grown is typically harder to roast because it's easy to put too much heat to it.

Coffee from different regions have different flavor profiles. Ethiopia is very "fruity"... blueberry, strawberry, etc. Mexico chocolate, other central American lemon, lime and other fruit. Sumatra earthy. I sometimes blend to marry fruit with chocolate, but most of the time I choose green coffee that has a complex flavor profile that needs nothing, so most of my coffees are single origin (from one farm)

If you are up North, stop by and I too will make you a great coffee.

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

Ok, color me impressed. This guy knows his shit!

milowebailey wrote:
Rutilate wrote:
Heh. the "best coffee" is wasted on you troglodytes! :ROFLMAO:

"Best Coffee" is a function of bean varietal, growing elevation/climate, processing method, roasting process, age of bean post-roasting, and preparation method.

If you want really, really good coffee, go ask for a pour-over at Olympia Coffee in Tacoma or Olympia. Or, if you're cool, come over and I'll make you some great coffee that is sweet enough to not need sugar to mask the ugly burned out taste.

:yes:

I know a little about coffee..... been roasting artisan coffee for 20 years. There is a saying in the specialty coffee industry "crop to cup"..... ever step matters. If you want the "best coffee", buy coffee from a small roaster who focuses on quality.

IMO the best coffee is a pour over (chemical free paper filter and filtered water heated in a kettle... bring to a boil and pull off the stove.... wait ~30 seconds and then pour... your pour should be ~ 3 minutes. Too fast your grind is too course, too slow it's too fine. The coffee should be 3 - 30 days from when it was roasted for best flavor. Ground just before prep.

I've tried every coffee prep out there. Chemex, vac-pot, drip, cowboy, cold brew, aeropress, turkish, pods and a whole lot of combinations of the above... and a basic ceramic cone with paper filter is the best.

As for espresso, I prefer a lever machine.... hence the name leverhead coffee. The non-linear spring pulls a better shot than a pump driven espresso machine. More control and way less expensive and little maintenance.

As for acidity, 3 things drive acidity.
1) the bean. When I cup (taste) coffee I roast a bunch of samples and taste them. I look for lower acidity coffee.
2) the darker the roast the more acidity you pull out of the bean
3) prep. the higher the pressure (e.g. espresso) the more acidity in the cup.... so espresso should start with a low acidity coffee.

As Rutilate said sweetness is in the bean. Natural processed green coffee has more sweetness than washed, but some folks don't like really fruity coffees, I do. And if over roasted you never will taste the sweetness. Your roaster will either pull the sweetness out of the bean or burn it off. There is a balance of roasting to pull more complex flavors out of a bean.... not too sweet, not too roasted. Elevation where it's grown matters too. Higher grown coffee is more dense and can take a darker roast without tasting burned. Low grown is typically harder to roast because it's easy to put too much heat to it.

Coffee from different regions have different flavor profiles. Ethiopia is very "fruity"... blueberry, strawberry, etc. Mexico chocolate, other central American lemon, lime and other fruit. Sumatra earthy. I sometimes blend to marry fruit with chocolate, but most of the time I choose green coffee that has a complex flavor profile that needs nothing, so most of my coffees are single origin (from one farm)

If you are up North, stop by and I too will make you a great coffee.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't done this "pour over" method yet, but after trying a bunch of other stuff the last two weeks, Im back to my press. I missed it.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yeah, last week I got a few flavors of the "Peets" mentioned in here. Decent stuff so far.

I seen it was on sale at Safeway last night for $5.99 a bag.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my go to setup.... less the glass carafe... for under $20 it even includes a few filters....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BA2J06/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

milowebailey wrote:
This is my go to setup.... less the glass carafe... for under $20 it even includes a few filters....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BA2J06/re ... UTF8&psc=1

You read my mind. Thanks!

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

reusable filter, only $4 more:
https://coffeegator.com/collections/pou ... ble-filter

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:

And NO plastic. I like that. Plastic is the devil.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need Coffee? Leverhead Coffee is offering a Coronavirus special! 20% off all orders through April 30. Use coupon code Corona20 when you check out. You can pick it up curbside on Camano Island or have it shipped! Note that I generally roast to order so please plan a day or 2 ahead.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:30 pm
Profile WWW

Any recommendations for a pour over and an aero press? Press goes to work with me, pour over stays at home.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next