Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Hunting Pest Last Night 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
Nice job. Things are kinda quite around my place. Can you turn down the regulator on your gun?
I’m not at all familiar with exactly how they work. But you know. Lower the power so your less likely to get pass through.
My gun is whisper quiet also. When I was shooting the ground squirrels at 20ish yard. The pellet hitting them in the head made more noise than the gun itself.

The regulator on this model is fixed. There are a couple other adjustments that can vary the energy. Once I get a little more familiar with the gun, that would be the thing to do. I know the trajectory curve for this pellet weight at this power setting and can hit well from a rest out to 50 yards. Don't want to mess with it til I get time to do it right.

Because the barrel has a shroud and moderator(silencer) built in, I can't get my chronograph to work. It's the kind the clips on to the end of the barrel. So until I can borrow a chrony with screens to shoot across, I won't be able to record the energy level and trajectory changes that various adjustments make. Plus, I keep seeing racoons and possums out there and it may be just a matter of time before I decide to pop one of them!

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I’m getting are mice. This guy showed himself Saturday night around 8pm. But I was not fully prepared. When I opened the squeaky window he ran off and never came back. So last night I was all set up and ready. But wouldn’t ya know it. He does not come out until 5:20 am this morning. This is the beauty of the motion sensor. I really don’t lose any sleep. I’m thinking about moving my bait pile. This one in my carport has only gotten mice. Which is good. But I feel there are rats out there also. Apparently just not in that spot.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what my Warehouse pest guy has mentioned, generally where there are mice there are no rats. Apparently there is a legit thing called Muricide where rats will prey and feed on mice.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
From what my Warehouse pest guy has mentioned, generally where there are mice there are no rats. Apparently there is a legit thing called Muricide where rats will prey and feed on mice.

Yes I’m have heard of this. That’s why I’m going to move to a different spot.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
dead rat.png

Another one bites the dust. Note the pellet trace just above the <PLAY> button on the screenshot. Never saw it coming.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool.
My econo grade night vision does not have recording capabilities. But I sure could have used it Monday night.
Some how I missed a nice size rat at 17 yards. The thing jumped about eight inches into the air then hit the ground five feet below.
Never found the rat or any traces of blood. I did see the pellet impact on my backstop. Here I’ve been popping mice at 19 yards and I miss that big guy :frust:
I got two more this morning. I’ll post photos here in a bit. I’m waiting for it to get light out.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well only one confirmed kill. A great shot right between the eye and ear. This was the rat that came out at 1am. The other one must have been a body shot. I could not find it.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First kill for the new year. Oh and the smallest for the record.
My alarm went off this morning around 6:15. Went and looked for the vermin. But could not see any. But it did come back about five minutes later. A shrew at 16 yards.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I missed this thread until now! Awesome.

I believe that shrews are a beneficial animal. I think it was an uncle that told me that back when I was a little kid. I never kill them. Now I'm curious... have to look up and see if it's true and why.

I dont mind Shrews in my garden since they eat slugs, and bugs

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:

I believe that shrews are a beneficial animal. I think it was an uncle that told me that back when I was a little kid. I never kill them. Now I'm curious... have to look up and see if it's true and why.

I will certainly research this. Because honestly I do not know much about them. And I knew it was not a mouse when I shot it. So I can easily identify them when I see them.
I have already educated myself on my backyard birds. I have a book and photos on my phone of good birds and the bad.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like the Shrews will get a pass.

“Shrews don't damage plants, and they do little or no burrowing into garden beds. They live under leaf litter and grass and might travel along existing mole and vole tunnels. For these reasons, shrews are beneficial in a garden and should not be eliminated unless they become a nuisance.Nov 28, 2010”

For the record I’ve shot about a dozen rats and soooo many mice that I have lost count. Probably about 60.
So I’m probably making my back yard a safer place for the shrews.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bad birds I look for are the above mentioned starlings and also the English Sparrow also know as the House Sparrow.
These two birds are even hated by the “Birding” community. And they encourage trapping and killing of these birds.
Pigeons are another invasive species. In the Washington hunting regs. They even suggest to use .22 LR or high power air rifles.
Here is a quote I found.

Washington
It is perfectly legal to shoot these birds, as long as local gun laws are followed. According to the state's Department of Fish and Wildlife, these three invasive species “may be killed at any time.” ... Pigeons, starlings and sparrows — all invasive species not native to North America — have been called “rats with wings.”Oct 10, 2011”

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
PMB wrote:
I missed this thread until now! Awesome.

I dont mind Shrews in my garden since they eat slugs, and bugs

Possum do the same handiwork and are harmless also.

Divided we fall.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dogs dont get along with possums

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The three winged devils back when I was big into birding (aka birdwatching) were the house sparrow (aka English sparrow), starling and rock dove (aka pigeon). I don't really know how harmful each of them is nowadays, but they were all introduced here from Europe and displaced some of our local birds.

So I'm kinda good with any of those three getting deaded.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next