Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Carrying magazines greater than 10 rounds 

I know carrying mags with capacity greater than 10 rds is perfectly legal, and my concern is probably unfounded, but here's the thing: we know Seattle/King County officials are rabidly anti-gun. Suppose I am forced to use my weapon in self defense using mags > 10 rds. Legal. But..... do you think city/county attorneys would try to make something out of it?

Just curious.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if trolling.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not in Washington as your concerns are more merited in other states that have magazine capacity laws already in place.

If one was to be “hung out to dry” it would be related to use of force and the original scenario of what and how things happened in a self defense shooting.

Just as a side question:
What gun do you carry? What is it’s capacity?

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:23 pm

oldkim wrote:
Not in Washington as your concerns are more merited in other states that have magazine capacity laws already in place.

If one was to be “hung out to dry” it would be related to use of force and the original scenario of what and how things happened in a self defense shooting.

Just as a side question:
What gun do you carry? What is it’s capacity?

Carrying a Glock 26 with Magpul 12 round and a 15 round G19 mag as spare. I moved here from CA 3 years ago and I guess that drives my thinking. CA DOJ told me my 15-rd pre-bans were legal to carry, but very few cops knew it and I would probably lose them if used on the street. Just floating around in the back of my mind.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well consider yourself lucky you were not pulled over or ever had to have that 12 and 15 round mag checked. By California law as of 2000 and 2016 changed to limit to 10 rounds and those “pre-ban” came into effect as also being banned there.

Here in Washington State - no limit to what you carry as to capacity or number of mags. Load them up.

I am assuming you have a Washington State CPL (conceal pistol license) to carry loaded and concealed.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Only carried 10 round in CA. And yes, I have a cpl.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

One of the best tips I have ever received “I never want to die for lack of shooting back.”

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Well consider yourself lucky you were not pulled over or ever had to have that 12 and 15 round mag checked. By California law as of 2000 and 2016 changed to limit to 10 rounds and those “pre-ban” came into effect as also being banned there.

Here in Washington State - no limit to what you carry as to capacity or number of mags. Load them up.

I am assuming you have a Washington State CPL (conceal pistol license) to carry loaded and concealed.

The 2016 law got overturned, can’t buy mags over 10 rounds but if you have them you can still keep them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wksimple wrote:
oldkim wrote:
If one was to be “hung out to dry” it would be related to use of force and the original scenario of what and how things happened in a self defense shooting...

...CA DOJ told me my 15-rd pre-bans were legal to carry, but very few cops knew it and I would probably lose them if used on the street. ..

You will loose your mags, *and your gun*, for an indeterminate period of time after you shoot someone. They are evidence.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:

Yep.
My EDC is G26 with 31-rd magazine, plus one in the chamber.
I carry it off-body in my Vertx EDC Transit Sling 2.0
It does not scream tactical...

Tadaaam!
Surprise, bitches! :bigsmile:

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wksimple wrote:
Carrying a Glock 26 with Magpul 12 round and a 15 round G19 mag as spare. I moved here from CA 3 years ago and I guess that drives my thinking. CA DOJ told me my 15-rd pre-bans were legal to carry, but very few cops knew it and I would probably lose them if used on the street. Just floating around in the back of my mind.

In this day and age there is no reason for an LEO to be ignorant of the laws. I have every RCW in my side pocket with a smart phone

Quantsuff summed it up, if you use it they will keep it for an indeterminate amount of time

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ll take this time to post some advice.

If you’re on a budget, plan for a backup carry piece. An actual piece you know how to carry and will.

Even if you are in the right, they can hang on to your equipment - holster included until they run out of time to file charges. For me, that timeline was 2 years.

What will you do until then? Honestly consider it gone for what its worth. Something to consider.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:15 pm

I worded my statement poorly. I'm fully aware of losing my weapon, etc. if used in self defense. What the DOJ agent said was I would lose the mags if simply found in my possession.

My original query was just wondering if a city attorney would try to paint you as bloodthirsty and looking for a fight because of carrying "high capacity" magazines. I'm probably over-thinking this. I guess I've read too many stories about carrying reloaded ammo, backup guns, and the like. The internet is full of this BS .

Still trying to shake my CA insecurities. :frust:

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wksimple wrote:
...I guess I've read too many stories about carrying reloaded ammo, backup guns, and the like. The internet is full of this BS ...

This.

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry what ever the guns magazine will hold with one in tbe tube.why carry a partially loaded gun?

Any gun used in a self defense situation will be held for evidence untill well after the trial then will.be given back if you are found not guilty of any crime.

Look at the high profile case of George Zimmerman's shooting of Travon Martin. The trial and proceddings lasted well.over a year.
Zimmerman was found innocent of all charges. In time the State had to return his KelTec PF9 -9mm semi auto pistol back to him .
He then put that same gun up for auction and he recieved $5,000 for a cheap $300 handgun.

Some people I know carry cheap handguns because they don't want to loose an expensive handgun.
Well if your shooting is justified you do not loose your handgun. They keep if until the either the investigation and or trial is done then you get it back.
If your shooting was not justified then you have worse problems then getting back a $1,000 gun. Actually you will lose all of your guns and will never be able to touch or own any type of gun.
So if you pull your gun make damn sure it is a justified situation.

Having five cartirdges or fifteen cartridges won't really make that big of a difference. What will make the big difference is keeping your trap shut and make your statement after you talk with the best 2nd ammendment/ self defence lawyer you can find.

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next