Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 75  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Made a lightning run to Montana to pick up our Cincinnati 205-12 milling machine. Spent the day today arranging for it in the shop, but have been dancing around the method of lifting it off the flatbed trailer. We picked it in Montana with a crane and set it on the deck of the trailer without a pallet, but my crane's engine seized awhile back so it's either with the 7k forklift (have to drag nearer the edge) or the backhoe/loader. Neither one is ideal for this. The machine is about 4600 pounds with the universal and vertical head, and I dislike tip-loading the forklift. The JCB backhoe is a lumbering beast that gave meaning to the old trucking song "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around"
Spoiler: show

https://youtu.be/qDxVJ471hyg

I wouldn't hesitate to gently drag it nearer the edge of the trailer except the coolant pump is awfully delicate and mounted flush with the base. Any wibble wobble in the wrong direction and the 4600 pound machine will snap that pump's casting.

When you finish, a Model T ride is waiting for you!

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:47 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Arisaka wrote:
PMB wrote:
Made a lightning run to Montana to pick up our Cincinnati 205-12 milling machine. Spent the day today arranging for it in the shop, but have been dancing around the method of lifting it off the flatbed trailer. We picked it in Montana with a crane and set it on the deck of the trailer without a pallet, but my crane's engine seized awhile back so it's either with the 7k forklift (have to drag nearer the edge) or the backhoe/loader. Neither one is ideal for this. The machine is about 4600 pounds with the universal and vertical head, and I dislike tip-loading the forklift. The JCB backhoe is a lumbering beast that gave meaning to the old trucking song "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around"

I wouldn't hesitate to gently drag it nearer the edge of the trailer except the coolant pump is awfully delicate and mounted flush with the base. Any wibble wobble in the wrong direction and the 4600 pound machine will snap that pump's casting.

:bow: I am looking forward to taking you up on this kind offer! Am I allowed to bring along my two owners, the Balrog and Dread Princess? I assure you that they are much better company than I am. (Confident that no assurances are needed on that point. :bigsmile: )

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
PMB wrote:

:bow: I am looking forward to taking you up on this kind offer! Am I allowed to bring along my two owners, the Balrog and Dread Princess? I assure you that they are much better company than I am. (Confident that no assurances are needed on that point. :bigsmile: )

Are you kidding? You are REQUIRED to bring the balrog and dread princess!!

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:

Mr Massivedesign probably won't mind a little bit of curvature to the conference table spine. :bigsmile:
J/k Dan. I have a spare tube/pipe/beam same size.

Don't MAKE ME pick up the Balrog hotline... I'll do it! I'll call! :rofl9:

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
PMB wrote:

Mr Massivedesign probably won't mind a little bit of curvature to the conference table spine. :bigsmile:
J/k Dan. I have a spare tube/pipe/beam same size.

Don't MAKE ME pick up the Balrog hotline... I'll do it! I'll call! :rofl9:

LOL. I can picture it. The Balrog Hotphone. Pink, surrounded, by skinks, snakes and other assorted crawlies, deep in the recesses of her lair.....

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I replaced the subC cells ($16) in a Ryobi electric drill battery pack. Works great now, The replacement cells are more powerful than the originals.
Also, replaced the CCFL backlights in my computer monitor after it crapped out. The new CCFLs cost $35 vs a new monitor.
Thanks YouTube!

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cruffler wrote:
I replaced the subC cells ($16) in a Ryobi electric drill battery pack. Works great now, The replacement cells are more powerful than the originals.
Also, replaced the CCFL backlights in my computer monitor after it crapped out. The new CCFLs cost $35 vs a new monitor.
Thanks YouTube!

Like button! :thumbsup2:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cruffler wrote:
Thanks YouTube!

Links to subC? Any videos? I have a few Ryobi batteries that are end of life.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My battery pack was a 7.2V that took six SubC batteries. There is also a shorter 4/5 SubC battery. You'll have to measure the battery length to see which one your battery pack takes. The original batteries are said to be around 1300/1500 mAh, and the new ones were 2200, so more power now.

I bought these from Amazon that had the tabs already installed. It was a simple matter of cutting the old battery connectors and soldering the new battery connectors. I also used some glue to secure the new batteries together like the originals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749 ... pldnSite=1

You'll need a security bit to open the battery pack. I had a set from Harbor Freight. The bit I used was a T-10 with a hole in the middle.
https://www.harborfreight.com/33-pc-sec ... 68459.html

Here is a YouTube video that shows how to replace the batteries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aj9ASH553o

Take some pictures as you progress taking things apart. Also, I assembled the new battery unit alongside the old unit to make sure that I got the battery +/- orientation correct.

Take a picture of the spring location/orientation for the two side latches. The latches slide out of the case, the springs fall out, and putting them back correctly gave me fits.

Search Google for "Ryobi battery pack rebuild" for more info.

All said, it was pretty easy. I had a little previous experience replacing the 18650 battery in a small Craftsman 4.0v cordless screwdriver. I found 18650 batteries with tabs on Amazon that worked like a charm.

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reassembled my blown-up muffler for the Model T, and mig welded it together. That should teach that sumbitch. Test drive tomorrow!

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Butchered 3 geese this morning.

Mrs. K said these don't have to be plucked, I could just skin 'em. Honestly, in the disassembly process I started thinking that it would be easier to just pluck 'em!

Pro Tip:
I think a lot of people try a "Holiday Goose or Duck" as something special, but turns out dry or tough. Here's the (not)secret: It's not chicken or turkey - don't cook it that way. It's "red meat". Rare or med-rare is great!! If you think "thoroughly cook" like chicken, your overcooking your goose! Some pink is perfect!

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 pm

A medieval fire pit for my wife's unit, the flying nights.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I was cutting the final brackets for a project and decided it was time to change the metal cutting blade... I have had a rather inexpensive metal cutting saw for the last 2 years : the Evolution Rage 3 10".
It's not a great saw... Not rigid or particularly well built. It's built for the home shop doing light work.

The "old" blade wasn't too bad, but it had been awhile since I had changed it and it had been on my mind for a few days so I put the brand new blade on.
Clamped down on the 2"x2" x 1/4" angle to cut some 4" and some 2" pieces for brackets. Got about 1/2" into the angle and CLANG! Somehow the blade had grabbed the chunk of steel and lifted it up... You think a chunk of wood being flung by a saw is unpleasant? A 2" chunk of 1/4" angle steel compares favorably in the "gonna give you a bad evening" category.
Well, I did a test cut on another piece and sure enough, the blade took some damage from the clang-kachunk combination so I dutifully broke out another new blade... they were about $50 apiece when I was stockpiling them, so I wasn't tickled.

I got about 1/4" into the next cut and had another clang-kachunk... Quick test, damaged blade, so I walked inside for a nice hot bowl of cauliflower and cheese soup, along with 2 slices of buttered corn bread. It helped to ease the sting.
I'll have to head back out in a little bit to see if there is something damaged in the frame or pivot that caused that twice. Never had it happen before, so twice in a row is a bit odd.

Also... Unplug the saw. Grab the blade and move it by hand. Then try to wobble it. Check the bearings.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I have about 4 hours to build a toe jack and set of machine skates... So this post is a pry bar to get me out of my convalescence and into the shop cutting, grinding, welding, sanding and painting.

Dont forget swearing.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Was able to get started on the new IT rack at our new office.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 75  Next