Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Hunting Pest Last Night 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a great and informative post. There is so much I don't know about air rifles and their applications.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shootin ... s?slotId=4
It looks like the Benjamin air rifles from Cabela's are near the top end. Looks like there would be some additional investment to include scope, air pump, etc.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jackass wrote:
This is a great and informative post. There is so much I don't know about air rifles and their applications.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shootin ... s?slotId=4
It looks like the Benjamin air rifles from Cabela's are near the top end. Looks like there would be some additional investment to include scope, air pump, etc.

Top end is a relative term for air rifles. There are plenty in the $1-2K range and beyond. Be careful going down this road, it can lead to obssesion and financial ruin! Don't ask how I know!

The Marauder is a pretty good entry level PCP rifle. USA made with good parts availability, lots of aftermarket support and tons of performance modifications advice available online.

As for the Cabela's ad above: FWIW - For the same money, the Field and Target model is available through most mail order airgun stores (Pyramid Air, Airgun Depot, etc.). This model has a built in regulator which makes for very consistent accuracy and lots of shots (60+) per fill. I got one a few months ago and am loving it.

Hopefully will have a few more pics to post here soon. Just rabbits last night, so no shots taken.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Hopefully will have a few more pics to post here soon. Just rabbits last night, so no shots taken.

I have not been posting all the mice I have shot. It’s like they come in waves. And at all hours of the night. But mostly between sunset and 11pm
The photo was taken on Nov 22 at 7pm. There are actually five mice in that photo. I retrieved the four that night Just to do a head count. Then went down there the next morning and found a fifth one I did not see in the dark. So that’s five mice taken in about two hours. Oh and these were taken at 16ish yards.

The last two rats I got. 22 yards. The the one on the left took a shot to the head the pellet went clean through and about 1/4” deep into a pressure treated 2x6 that was behind it. That one was shot Dec 24. The larger one was the day before.
]Image

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shooting! Mice are mighty small targets with a LOT of space to miss around them! :thumbsup2:

Bunny got a pass last night....

Attachment:
BUGS LIVES.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I highly recommend targeting mice. Yes , they are small but they drop a lot easier than rats. My gun does pellet on pellet at 22 yards. Now, I also am not shooting off hand. The 13 yard shots into my carport and patio. I shoot sitting on a stool and resting the gun on a slightly modified camera tripod. When I shoot out the back yard 16 to 22 yards. I have a makeshift shooting bench. I rest the gun on a sandbag. But every once in a while Speedy Gonzalez will come out and F with me. He will make a hot lap. Just showing himself long enough to set off the sensor and get my attention. But never sitting still long enough for me to get on him.
Nights like that I shut off the alarm and let him have the bait. And I sleep.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
I highly recommend targeting mice. Yes , they are small but they drop a lot easier than rats. My gun does pellet on pellet at 22 yards. Now, I also am not shooting off hand. The 13 yard shots into my carport and patio. I shoot sitting on a stool and resting the gun on a slightly modified camera tripod. When I shoot out the back yard 16 to 22 yards. I have a makeshift shooting bench. I rest the gun on a sandbag. But every once in a while Speedy Gonzalez will come out and F with me. He will make a hot lap. Just showing himself long enough to set off the sensor and get my attention. But never sitting still long enough for me to get on him.
Nights like that I shut off the alarm and let him have the bait. And I sleep.

Almost exactly the same story here. My gun is a 1 holer at 16 yards (from a rest), which is where the bait is. I clamp it onto a camera tripod and cut loose on the vermin. They are rarely on the bait by the time I get to the gun, and yeah, I have to shut the alarm off some nights too. Let's the bastards get their confidence up! :bigsmile:

The bell has rung twice since I've been typing this, might be a good night....?

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys going to start posting up in the WAgrubs thread?

My freezer is getting full

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
You guys going to start posting up in the WAgrubs thread?

My freezer is getting full

Anybody here got any barns that need de-ratted? We can get RS some fresh backstrap and chops.
Have gun will travel.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things have been slow in the back yard. Although I did get a shot last night at a mouse but I think I missed it. So tonight I moved the sensor out to the patio. That was around 5pm. Then about 5:30 I started setting up my tripod and stool. Getting situated in my dinning room. Then went to get the scope focused annnnd there was a mouse out there. I was not ready. I missed that opportunity but I knew it would be back.
He did not set off the alarm. Might be time to replace the battery. So he came back about 15 minutes later. He was facing me when I took the shot .You can see where the pellet exited his back side.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch, I hate it when THAT happens!

Just rabbits here last night.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

damn how do you get so many rodent's? you live next to a dump or neighbors with tall grass unkept yard?

well hope you get em all or they get the idea buddy gone and leave

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
damn how do you get so many rodent's? you live next to a dump or neighbors with tall grass unkept yard?

I live on 3/4 acre. Neighbors have about the same. There was five acres of open space below me. But that is soon to be town homes. I get deer, coyote, raccoon, possum , skunks. All that stuff. I’m sure if you put out a tablespoon of chopped up peanuts. Then watch it through the night. You might have the same amount mice. But yes I too am surprised how many mice there are.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
cmica wrote:

I live on 3/4 acre. Neighbors have about the same. There was five acres of open space below me. But that is soon to be town homes. I get deer, coyote, raccoon, possum , skunks. All that stuff. I’m sure if you put out a tablespoon of chopped up peanuts. Then watch it through the night. You might have the same amount mice. But yes I too am surprised how many mice there are.

ahh that makes sense. guess I never went out at night and see what goes popping in and out. with 8 acres I like to get the .22 out and pop em off on the tractor when the bush hog goes to work. every now and then the dog likes to find a hole and wait. few summers ago used to stalk 2 ground squirrels that ran from barn to barn and to chicken house....no more now

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big Sucker ! Body is 11" long and I bet he weighs over a pound

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha nice !
With this cold wet weather I’d think they would be staying in.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next