Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Running some network cables under the house 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey All,

Looking for some help running ethernet from the frontier termination point on one end of the house to the main media cabinet area in the center of the house (~50 feet). Need 3 cables run and terminated on both ends, ideally something rated for outdoor that mice won't shred if they get under there.

In the Bothell area. DM me and I'll get in touch.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just as an option, you can get pre terminated cables for a pretty good price if you don’t mind running it yourself.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Just as an option, you can get pre terminated cables for a pretty good price if you don’t mind running it yourself.

yep and if your worried about rodents run it thru conduit

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Yep you should be able to run three terminated cables through one inch conduit if you stagger the terminals taped to a cord and then use the cord to thread through the conduit 10 feet at a time. I would color code each cat 5 end so guessing not needed.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appreciate the tips, but I could still use the help, if there is someone that can do this kind of work.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you need cable or 5e run?

I have a spool of 5e and the ends for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to do this type of work professionally back in the day and it is not that hard IF you know ropes. I’m not physically able to do that work anymore.
Some will staple it on the outside of the house if it is a possible straightforward route.
Will it be required to drill into the floor plate of the wall or come out of a vent then back into the wall?
If you do decide to do this I would run minimum 1 inch plastic conduit or staple the wires to the joists if you think will be a problem, mice WILL chew it if left on the ground with easy access to them.

Good luck with your project.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking for cat 6 or cat 5e. I was going to repurpose a coax wall outlet on one end and put a modular plate in with 3 ethernet ports and a coax (so we should be able to follow that down in to the crawlspace). The otherside already has an open conduit used for the home theater cabling.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leaferikson wrote:
I was looking for cat 6 or cat 5e. I was going to repurpose a coax wall outlet on one end and put a modular plate in with 3 ethernet ports and a coax (so we should be able to follow that down in to the crawlspace). The otherside already has an open conduit used for the home theater cabling.

Then it sounds like you just need to get the cable and get busy then.

Good luck. :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you afraid of the crawlspace? Give ya the eebeegeebees?

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's stapled to the underside of the floor joists I doubt the mice will get to it

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a temporary (thankfully) movement disability so, while I appreciate the advice, clearly I'm asking in the wrong place.

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nah, you're good. These guys are just comparin' their peckers. Sorry they picked on you.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]