Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Oak Harbor negligent discharge 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What not to do when carrying concealed:

Woman injured in restaurant after customer accidentally fires a gun
By Jessie Stensland
Monday, January 13, 2020 4:14pm
https://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/woman-injured-in-restaurant-after-customer-accidentally-fires-a-gun/

Quote:
Oak Harbor Police Chief Kevin Dresker explained that the man, who has a concealed license permit, was armed with a .40-caliber handgun at Fraser’s Gourmet Hideaway. The gun owner removed the weapon, placed it on his chair and covered it with a napkin when he momentarily stood up.

The man was placing the gun back in his holster when it fired, Dresker said. The bullet went through the tablecloth and struck the woman, who was seated at another table.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I see and hear these stories all the time. I think it's good to discuss them and more importantly figure out how to prevent them. We have to realize that this is the kind of stuff that turns anti gunners against us. A negligent discharge can happen to anyone, but I'd hope it isn't in a crowded restaurant.

It seems to me that an often common theme is not using a holster, secondary cause is unnecessary handling of the gun.

Why on earth would he pull his gun out and out it on a chair?!? I can only guess that it wasn't in a proper holster.

There was another one in Puyallup recently where the guy had a pistol in his pocket and was essentially playing with it and fired a round.

I hate to say that education of CPL holders might be the key here, and for crying out loud - buy a good holster and use it every day.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I always wondered how much the probability of a ND increased with the WAC Shows requiring people to remove and clear their weapons rather than just leaving them in their holsters.
Never heard of a gun going off by itself in a holster (well, except maybe a Type 94 Nambu).
As far as the dumbass leaving his gun on a chair covered by a napkin, I'm at a loss for words.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

meh, I know it is bad press for gun owners, but how many people are injured in car accidents despite traffic laws? How many job related incidents despite thousands of OSHA regs?

Accidents happen because people are human, freedom is dangerous, that is just the way it is

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Accidents happen all the time but ND are rare and should not happen, although carelessness is the culprit.
No need to subject punishment (training) on the masses because of the acts of a few idiots, don’t sound off like the opposition!!!
Leave your GD gun in it’s holster the n public until it’s time to use it!!!

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The victim didn't realize she'd been shot until her dining companion told her she was bleeding.

Guess this might revive the 9mm-vs-.40 debate...

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
meh, I know it is bad press for gun owners, but how many people are injured in car accidents despite traffic laws? How many job related incidents despite thousands of OSHA regs?

Accidents happen because people are human, freedom is dangerous, that is just the way it is

Bad driver, its called an accident.

Bad gun owner and its called negligence.

Almost EVERY used car out there has at least one or two accident on its "carfax".

A gunfax would usually turn up NO n-d or accident on a used firearm.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What fucking idiot unholsters his weapon to sit down?

Guns kept in holsters don't just go off.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
The victim didn't realize she'd been shot until her dining companion told her she was bleeding.

Guess this might revive the 9mm-vs-.40 debate...

don't open that can of worms..... :popcorn:

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
What fucking idiot unholsters his weapon to sit down?

Guns kept in holsters don't just go off.

Exactly. This is what made me by the holster I have and use. I fully expect there will be times I need to remove my firearm from my person when away from home (like every time I need to piss...AIWB carry)...so I got a holster I can easily remove, with the gun still in it. They are not hard to find, nor are they more or less expensive than any other holster.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Bad driver, its called an accident.

Bad gun owner and its called negligence.

We call it negligence because we put such a huge emphasis on safety with firearms, and people don't put nearly as much consideration into safety with cars.

Shame we don't put the same emphasis on safety with 4,000lb+ explosion-driven projectiles as we do on 40gr+ explosion-driven projectiles. One can clearly make a bigger impact than the other.

Fuckin' loonies. You're in control of a deadly weapon with a steering wheel. Act like it.

zombie66 wrote:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know a few appendix carry people that have to take the gun out of holster to sit. This is exactly why I don’t appendix carry.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scorpion rider wrote:
I know a few appendix carry people that have to take the gun out of holster to sit. This is exactly why I don’t appendix carry.

See comment above. I appendix carry. I just take the whole rig off.

zombie66 wrote:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scorpion rider wrote:

Yea, I've tried a few different ways and it doesn't work for me. Hiking the pants up above my hips or letting them ride just below my hips doesn't make a difference. It always pinched

Maybe if I did the full on sag below my ass it would work. I'm sure I could pull that off as a 40 something white dude

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scorpion rider wrote:

Wait til you gotta piss at a urinal.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next