Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Odd defense/carry situation, what to do? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not usually a chit chatter on here but I’d like others to weigh in. Last night I camped legally about 20 miles outside of Moses lake. 4 miles from closest paved road. Boonies. This morning just after 5:30am (still pitch black outside) a lifted diesel truck drove purposelyfully right up to the back window of the SUV my dog and I were sleeping in. He proceeded to cat-call and make sexual harassing comments??? It was just me and my dog. No girl. His HID headlight was literally about 3’ from my face and at the same level. I couldn’t see anything outside of my suv. My interior was explosively white/blue. I couldn’t crawl out the rear hatch from the inside. I couldn’t exit towards his truck. I couldn’t crawl over my dog and out of my sleeping bag to get into the drivers seat. I “could” have exited one of the rear passenger doors. Then what? But because he could see every inch of my movements inside my suv and I could see absolutely nothing on the outside I just laid there until he went away. Felt like an eternity but was maybe 20 seconds max. Then he just slowly drove away. I had my G19 on hand below the glass level but never raised or brandished. I honestly had no idea what to do. And I still don’t. I was trapped and on display like a fish bowl. It was one of the most random and frightening things I’ve ever experienced. What would you have done?

Things I’ll take in trade: KAC Micro rear sight, Glock 29 G3/G4 slide, Glock 20/29/19/17/22/23/21 mags, TC Encore parts

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:01 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sounds like a drunken asshole with a small penis!

I think I'd have done exactly what you did....gun in hand. I don't think anything good would have come from getting out, especially if he was hammered and looking for a fight. He probably thought it was funny, but it obviously wasn't.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kgbsucka wrote:
Sounds like a drunken asshole...

Definitely.

Kgbsucka wrote:
with a small penis!

Possibly. But if not, I'd probably have just shot myself with the G19.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you parked in what you thought was middle of nowhere BFE but is actually a Lover’s Lane or something.

Hard tellin.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fucking wow.
You handled it just right.
Would it be me, I’d be in jail now.
I hope someone cures that motherfucker’s lead deficiency, better sooner than later.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tough situation for sure. You can't see anything and you wouldn't have been able to see if this guy walked right up to your Rig armed.
I'm not sure what i would have done personally, but i suspect i would have gotten out to just get out of the light and been able to see.
If it was possible from a side he couldn't see as well, if not it would have been in a hurry and off to the side out of the light beams with Gun in Hand.
Probably just some douchebag thinking he was busting some couple getting it on in the middle of nowhere, but that sure would have gotten me more than a little pissed.
Under the circumstances and being woke from a sound sleep, i think you probably did the best thing in that case, glad it didn't go from bad to worse for you.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately my entire interior was lit up. There no dodging it. And yes, somebody could have been standing right on the other side of the glass and I wouldn’t have seen a thing. I don’t even know if it was just him or more guys. I couldn’t make out his truck make/model and I’m super into knowing vehicle bodies / head and tails. It was that black out. Best guess is a early 90’s powerstroke based on headlight. But it didn’t idle like one. Big turbo whistle on idle and lifted. Maybe a crew cab..... I’ll +1 on being drunk. He had slurred speech. What a nice way to start a Saturday morning lol I’m sure it was just for kicks on his end. Might end differently with somebody else.

Things I’ll take in trade: KAC Micro rear sight, Glock 29 G3/G4 slide, Glock 20/29/19/17/22/23/21 mags, TC Encore parts

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some situations in life cannot be solved with a gun, I believe that you did the right thing by staying put but armed in case it went gunnysacks.
People are assholes and think they are cool by doing shit like this.
Sorry but can’t resist, sucks to be caught with yer pants down...
:bigsmile:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take away what lessons from this that you can - park differently if possible to avoid being trapped in the future, use a cheap motion detector alarm to give your self a couple seconds heads up there's something/someone approaching your position.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-Inf ... gLXC_D_BwE

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you did the best you could. Getting out would have just escalated things

If you camp in your SUV regularly make some curtains. I had a set for the first van I used for camping. Just an old blanket and some clips that hooked onto the trim above the doors

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tough situation but not many choices...

You did the only right thing for this situation. As you clearly state there weren’t really any options as you would clearly show your hand to them.

This situation illustrates a main theme for all those that carry a firearm. We are reactionary. We by choice carry to defend ourselves, our loved ones and those around us.

We are not the perpetrators.

We don’t dictate the situation or events leading up to our use of our firearm. We can be proactive in our choice to carry and be aware of our environment but shit happens everywhere. Even out of nowhere.

Now looking at this from an outcomes perspective... no one got hurt. Everyone got to just live life. Yes, it was wrong for them to do this but in the end... all is well.

Change a few events and things and choices become different. As stated - it was the right call. Be cool but ready was the right call.

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two words,

Land Mines!

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I to think you did the right thing. Sad there are a lot of assholes out there.
But I’d like to add if you (or anyone ) is going to go out for a lone hike or camp. Be sure to let friends and family know where your going and how long you’ll be gone.
Even if your like me and don’t care to tell your nosy sister what your weekend plans are. You know. Some times a guy just wants to get away.
So at the very least. Leave a note at your home. Giving as much info of where you’ll be going and how long you intend to be gone.
That way if the unthinkable happens. The first person looking for you at your home will find the note.
Keep vigilant and stay safe.

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:07 pm

So a "lifted diesel truck" pulls up. But then you say you couldnt make our the model/type of truck. ive never heard of someone describe a 90s powerstroke "based on headlight" before either (totally doable just havent).

Only mention that cause i think you made the right choice...woken up to something and not totally awake. Be ready to defend yourself but not ready to jump right into action (obviously if window was broken or something be different). Always a hard spot to be in but sounds like you were protected at least if the person had tried to do something

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:19 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

That sux. I understand your position.

I had something similar happen to me when I was tent camping with my daughters back in 2007. We were 50 miles from the nearest town in NE Colorado and about 1 mile off the nearest county road (no cell service). Some assholes in a 4x4 were hot-rodding around the forest in the middle of the night, tearing up the trails and grassy areas. We were armed to the teeth (hunting season) but without chasing them down in our own 4x4, and confronting them on USFS land, there wasn't much to be done. We just waited them out and they got bored and left the area after about 5 minutes.

Why do people have to be such assholes?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next