Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Out of Stater & Need Info on Non Resident Carry 

A family member maybe moving to Washington. I carry and I know that WA does not have reciprocity with my home state. Can someone direct me to a forum here where I can learn more about how or even if I can bring and/or carry a handgun in Washington State. Can I get a nonresident carry permit? I read that your state like mine is under siege from anti-Constitution politicians and that everything is in play. But if this family move happens I need to figure out how to visit and maintain my carry rights if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:05 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns!

Yes, you can get a non-resident CPL (Concealed Pistol License):
https://www.usacarry.com/washington_con ... ation.html

Alternatively, you could open-carry. That means no concealing a loaded pistol, and no carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle (car, bus, etc.)

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 am

Thank you.

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:24 am
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Greetings and Welcome to WaGuns !

Good to hear from an "out of stater" who has the same view as many on here do.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 am
FFL / Dealer

When I first moved to WA, I used my Pennsylvania's driver's license to get a non-resident concealed carry permit here. I can't remember if I showed them my PA carry permit or not. Anyway, it was $50 and a couple hours at the King County Sheriff's office to apply and get fingerprinted. I got my permit in 30 days. It's a very straight forward process, but we are fighting a proposed CCW training requirement in the legislature now.

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:28 pm

Cap and ball is better then naked so if you own one you could go that route.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 am

hartcreek wrote:
Cap and ball is better then naked so if you own one you could go that route.

I like the way your are thinking! :thumbsup2: I actually have a couple of them and they are fun to shoot. Better than naked for sure.

Of course, would prefer to carry something in the more modern line. FWIW, in NJ they have a limited antique firearms exemption but it excludes handguns. Some guy got caught with some unloaded antique French muzzle loading dueling pistol in his car and that State put him through the ringer.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Highway wrote:
When I first moved to WA, I used my Pennsylvania's driver's license to get a non-resident concealed carry permit here. I can't remember if I showed them my PA carry permit or not. Anyway, it was $50 and a couple hours at the King County Sheriff's office to apply and get fingerprinted. I got my permit in 30 days. It's a very straight forward process, but we are fighting a proposed CCW training requirement in the legislature now.

Interesting, do you have to be in the process of becoming a WA resident to get one, or can you simply be a non-resident like me who would visit there on occasion. TX used to only issue them to help new citizens transition as permanent residents. They change that law and no such requirement exists. You just have to meet all the same standards as a resident for obtaining one.

I did read about some training requirement in the mix that you mentioned. Depending on how onerous it is if it becomes law and who administers it, I could probably deal with that.

I am a big advocate of training and practice, but mandating it can easily develop into another gun control gimmick that can rapidly become an unfair obstacle to permitting. Hope you can push it off.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a Kentuckian I always find it curious when 'tucky' is added onto the end of a word to make it... less urban, maybe?

The path of least resistance might be to get a CPL for a state that WA has reciprocity with. Ohio is closest but it looks like you have to work there for them to issue a permit

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/washington-gun-laws/
Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:04 pm

RocketScott wrote:
As a Kentuckian I always find it curious when 'tucky' is added onto the end of a word to make it... less urban, maybe?

"Pennsyltucky" is a term meant by the sophisticated urbanites (mostly from the East) as a pejorative describing that large area of Pennsylvania between Philadelphia on the east and Pittsburgh on the west. We have pretty much embraced the insult and wear it with pride. How it got started I have no idea. Thanks for you suggestions.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]