Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Chainsaw help.... 

As a side question..... I've done two K10-WAT replacements/rebuilds now and I'm still a bit confused about some of the parts --- the 'fuel pump' diaphram/membrane - the one that has the flapper valves on it - there was two supplied in each kit... one rubber and another that looked like a reinforced mylar - exact same shape. Is there something special about the mylar one? I've put the rubber version in in both cases 'just because thats what was in there before', and saved the mylars in case the valves go bad again. Wondering why 'if' the mylar one is better, why include the rubber one too? I've also seen kits that have a black rubber and a blue rubber one instead of the mylar version..... but no explanation as to which one to use.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 pm

I was looking at Echo's warranty --- 5 years for consumer use.... but I'm not really sure how good it really is - lots of disclaimers for different things... not sure if the owner brings it in for service if it will actually be covered or if they would charge him out the ass for fixing it blaming it on 'user error'. Good thing is there is a service shop down in Kirkland not too far away. Being that its less than 2 years old, I would hope they would stand behind their warranty. I'm pretty sure he's SOL for HomeDepot return at this point.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not applicable to a saw as new as that, but my little Stihl wouldn't rev for anything. After much hair pulling the thing that finally fixed it was replacing the fuel pickup line inside the tank. Ethanol made the rubber weak and it was collapsing under suction and pinching off the supply. Seem to remember there was an updated part number to friend off methanol attack.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:49 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

todd1803 wrote:
Maybe not applicable to a saw as new as that, but my little Stihl wouldn't rev for anything. After much hair pulling the thing that finally fixed it was replacing the fuel pickup line inside the tank. Ethanol made the rubber weak and it was collapsing under suction and pinching off the supply. Seem to remember there was an updated part number to friend off methanol attack.

Despite your experience, todd1803, I have always been a fan of Stihl chainsaws. My father always smoked along through firewood with a cheap Homelite during my childhood, and I vowed to own a better saw. I have owned the following models: 031, 041, 056 Super (amazing), 090, and a 270MS. All have been great saws with zero problems. I have used them as firewood saws, yard work and tree trimming, as well as timber falling.

None of that helps with the Echo issue, JMB, but at some point your labor and time must be worth something....unless it has become a point of pride!

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah - I thought it would be an easy fix.... at this point I'm stumped. If the owner can take it in under warranty, I'm all for it at the moment....
I've been able to keep my weed wacker and leaf blower going for the last 20 years --- I thought I knew what I was doing.... My weed whacker died off on me and I started fucking with it --- as I was messing with the carb, I noticed that the main problem was with the fuel lines coming out of the tank --- pinch cracks where the line went thru a hole --- I've replace the lines 3 time now. It died on me when I was whacking some ivy - abruptly - the valves on the impulse pump just gave out - carb kit time, and that fixed everything. Never an issue with ethanol or old gas - just those damn fuel lines.

The bitch about it is that I have some laurels to prune ---- I've got a killer McCulloch corded saw that I could use, but I know from the last time using it that the limbs fall on the cord and make it a pain in the ass to work the hedge. I'm thinking it will be easier to pull the jenny out there and use the corded one at this time... Good thing the rain came back in to keep me from doing it ---- it still needs to get done tho.

And IF I get the saw running, I still need to sharpen the chain ---- damn the owner dulled the fuck out of it!!! I finally learned how to sharpen a chain and have done it for several neighbors ----- they have been amazed at how much better it works, as I have. Sharp chains all around! The key it to pull the chain and sharpen it in the vise so there is NO wobble.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3584ELK wrote:
todd1803 wrote:

Despite your experience, todd1803, I have always been a fan of Stihl chainsaws. My father always smoked along through firewood with a cheap Homelite during my childhood, and I vowed to own a better saw. I have owned the following models: 031, 041, 056 Super (amazing), 090, and a 270MS. All have been great saws with zero problems. I have used them as firewood saws, yard work and tree trimming, as well as timber falling.

None of that helps with the Echo issue, JMB, but at some point your labor and time must be worth something....unless it has become a point of pride!
Sorry if I came off blaming the saw. It's great, and I would always recommend Stihl power equipment. If I've got a complaint it's with the sh!t gasoline in this state.
For my needs, I'll buy pre-mixed from now on. I use the saw about once a year to cut some branches, so the cost isn't a big deal.
If I were to replace the saw, I would take a serious look at buying a battery powered. I've changed over to a battery string trimmer and love it. I'm less likely to procrastinate without the 2 stroke fight.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2