Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Outreach to new gun owners? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been watching the news and seeing the lines wrapped around gun shops and people being advised to "go now, go on your lunch break and buy something before they're gone" nonsense. However, I'd imagine there are a LOT of new gun owners out there without a clue. Maybe we can help them get trained, and get them signed up here so they have a resource for questions.

We could create a "new to guns what do I do next" type of forum for them to ask questions. I'd be willing to moderate it, anyone else have ideas?

We should take advantage of as many new to the sport people as we can so maybe we can get them to vote pro 2A in the coming election. That's the ulterior motive, but getting new people comfortable with their new tools would be a great thing to do, plus it'd help prevent accidents which you know are going to happen.

What do you guys think?

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
I've been watching the news and seeing the lines wrapped around gun shops and people being advised to "go now, go on your lunch break and buy something before they're gone" nonsense. However, I'd imagine there are a LOT of new gun owners out there without a clue. Maybe we can help them get trained, and get them signed up here so they have a resource for questions.

We could create a "new to guns what do I do next" type of forum for them to ask questions. I'd be willing to moderate it, anyone else have ideas?

We should take advantage of as many new to the sport people as we can so maybe we can get them to vote pro 2A in the coming election. That's the ulterior motive, but getting new people comfortable with their new tools would be a great thing to do, plus it'd help prevent accidents which you know are going to happen.

What do you guys think?

I like the idea but right now... no place to train/shoot.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would have to keep an eye out for ringers planted by the antis. For those in need of such a resource, it would be a dream come true and provide a less intimidating introduction than just jumping into the General Firearms forum and trying to swim there. Nice to have a wading pool if the demand were there. You'd be a good mod as well.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:33 am

FWIW Tacoma Sportsmen's Club is still open for shooting.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny why gun ranges are closing since now is the time for practice. It's our civic duty to be prepared for when congress calls for the militia to quell insurrection, etc.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Hate to burst your bubble, but a Congress run by Dumbocrats will call out the National Guard but NEVER the civilian militia.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:08 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

delliottg wrote:

What do you guys think?

I don't know about an entire forum . . . but maybe a thread would be good? Do you want to start one?

I think it's a good idea. Give them a place to start. See if they have questions we can help with, maybe suggest they do an intro thread, that kind of thing?

And the rest of us can provide helpful responses, but maybe keep the BS to a minimum in that thread.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Would have to keep an eye out for ringers planted by the antis. For those in need of such a resource, it would be a dream come true and provide a less intimidating introduction than just jumping into the General Firearms forum and trying to swim there. Nice to have a wading pool if the demand were there. You'd be a good mod as well.

This right here, years ago I used to take people out, teach them safety and supply all ammo back before gun owners were a hated group.
Nowadays it’s a bit of a challenge to even contemplate doing this because of said problems with infiltrators into our ranks.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to nitpick but National Guard is militia! Wildly unconstitutional federalized militia but still militia

Same for state guard.

These were setup in the various militia acts - all of which are blatantly unconstitutional. But, gotta pick your fights.

The militia and all things pertaining to organization and operations of militia are rights retained by The People that have been usurped by questionable legislation.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clark Kent wrote:
Hate to burst your bubble, but a Congress run by Dumbocrats will call out the National Guard but NEVER the civilian militia.

Wouldn't be the first time congress skirted the constitution.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 pm

AR15L wrote:
delliottg wrote:

What do you guys think?

Lots of training and instruction to be done dry though.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:39 pm

ViniVidivici wrote:
AR15L wrote:
delliottg wrote:

What do you guys think?

Lots of training and instruction to be done dry though.

This is what I was thinking too. Not sure how I'd connect with the new shooter though.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:02 pm

delliottg wrote:
I've been watching the news ... What do you guys think?

Tends to be a bad idea. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, couldn't help myself there.

If you get any traction with new shooters, some here may be good resources as assignable mentors for both virtual and perhaps in-person instruction. I'm happy to assist if it comes to that.

Keep a great sense of humor everyone. Cheers!

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finding that many new shooters can't get ammo required for live fire classes. This works well: https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-traine ... B004NKY23E

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]