Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Exposed aggregate concrete repair 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Corner of driveway, cracked gone.

Have it dug out, formed. Ready to mix and pour concrete on a decent day.

Which the hell Quikcrete product should I use?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat May 02, 2020 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe just buy the HS stuff and see how it ends up.

Sat May 02, 2020 9:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just put a wedge shaped planter there! :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, though, you would probably hate that, less than you are going to hate how a patch job on that, looks...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat May 02, 2020 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’ll never make it match.
Best to turn it into an accent, maybe some black dye? Or some kind of inlay( cool rock, hot wheel cars, use some imagination)
Be sure to clean the exposed edge of existing well, wire brush in a drill works good
And use a good bonding agent
And if able some type of dowels drilled into existing slab will help a ton. 1/4” hole with a couple 16d nails is adequate
high strength Quik Crete will do the job

Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are going to want a better base of crushed rock unless you want that new wedge to just sink back down.

Sat May 02, 2020 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy some rock that matches the existing slab, once you pour the bag mix in and let it set up a little, add the "similar" rock and run the float over it. A little sugar water and a spray off the slurry as it sets up. I havent done any exposed aggregate in 20+ years but I worked a couple driveways that the owners wanted large rocks used and thats how it was done - shovelful of rocks spread out and run over with the bullfloat after the mud was down.

Dowels (rebar or nails) and a better base as the others pointed out will help keep it from repeating. I'd prolly take the broken pieces you took and smash em into the dirt myself for a base :bigsmile:

Sat May 02, 2020 10:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First excavate the missing triangle area down to at least 4 inches. Then drill into each broken face at the mid-thickness point and install some expansion bolts. 2 per face will be fine. 3/8 inch bolts will do, and you can probably even use 1/4 inch bolts. Two bolts in each face if you can. Then wire on a couple of pieces of 3/8 or 1/2 inch rebar to the bolts and bridge the rebar pieces across the hole.

Lay down a couple of strips of duct tape on the existing driveway surface, right next to the break, to keep the new concrete from staining your existing driveway surface. Paint the fracture surfaces with a concrete bonding agent if you like. Can’t hurt.

Then get a bag of Reid-mix and a bag of pea gravel at Home Despot. Pour the concrete and float it into place. Sprinkle the concrete with the pea gravel and float the gravel in. Pull,off,the duct tape and Go get a beer. Let the concrete set up for a couple of hours. Then use a hose to gently spray off the surface cream off to expose the aggregate. Shoot the water at a shallow angle, and use the minimum water pressure necessary to remove cream. Use a paint brush. Broom or wire brush to get off any cream the hose won’t remove. Wash down the surrounding area so the cream coming off your patch doesn’t stain the existing driveway.

Sat May 02, 2020 10:54 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arisaka wrote:
First excavate the missing triangle area down to at least 4 inches. Then drill into each broken face at the mid-thickness point and install some expansion bolts. 2 per face will be fine. 3/8 inch bolts will do, and you can probably even use 1/4 inch bolts. Two bolts in each face if you can. Then wire on a couple of pieces of 3/8 or 1/2 inch rebar to the bolts and bridge the rebar pieces across the hole.

Lay down a couple of strips of duct tape on the existing driveway surface, right next to the break, to keep the new concrete from staining your existing driveway surface. Paint the fracture surfaces with a concrete bonding agent if you like. Can’t hurt.

Then get a bag of Reid-mix and a bag of pea gravel at Home Despot. Pour the concrete and float it into place. Sprinkle the concrete with the pea gravel and float the gravel in. Pull,off,the duct tape and Go get a beer. Let the concrete set up for a couple of hours. Then use a hose to gently spray off the surface cream off to expose the aggregate. Shoot the water at a shallow angle, and use the minimum water pressure necessary to remove cream. Use a paint brush. Broom or wire brush to get off any cream the hose won’t remove. Wash down the surrounding area so the cream coming off your patch doesn’t stain the existing driveway.

Hot damn. Now THAT is some detailed help. :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 02, 2020 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:

It is done. Thank you (all) for the solid advice. It looks fine so far, match is good enough. I added extra high strength cement and only used the acrylic liquid (no water) - and I have to tell you it's a kind of a sticky mix and a bitch to work with. Clean your tools right away!

The look is not terrible. Will take pics with more light and after it cures out.

A couple screw ups. I overfilled the hole a bit - not that noticeable but trying to screed it from curb edge to the taped upslope exposed aggregate was also a bitch while fighting the concrete mass (gravity). That little corner is very steep at the start. Worse was when I was doing the final wash a couple divots went flying. GAWDAMMIT! Even though I put bonding agent in, tried to pack them tight, shit they just popped out.

But it looks ok. The base of the rest of the driveway is shit anyway. Someone years ago probably used shitty ice melter, and that is why this corner was so ate up in the first place.

Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post a pic! :popcorn:

Divided we fall.

Fri May 08, 2020 5:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fri May 08, 2020 6:01 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Not bad work at all, sir! You got the match down well.

I have a few broken sections in mine too. Lucky for me the top portion is not exposed aggregate but I have broken it by driving heavy trailers right on the edge. I'd LOVE to widen it 1-2' all the way down but I think I'd be in cement truck territory then. Plus with all the other failures I would be best off doing all of it. Only money, right?? I could run more irrigation to the other side at the same time!

No wonder I can never finish a project. "Fix broke piece of concrete" turns into "replace driveway, widen, run new irrigation and electrical and and and and")

Fri May 08, 2020 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
Not bad work at all, sir! You got the match down well.

I have a few broken sections in mine too. Lucky for me the top portion is not exposed aggregate but I have broken it by driving heavy trailers right on the edge. I'd LOVE to widen it 1-2' all the way down but I think I'd be in cement truck territory then. Plus with all the other failures I would be best off doing all of it. Only money, right?? I could run more irrigation to the other side at the same time!

No wonder I can never finish a project. "Fix broke piece of concrete" turns into "replace driveway, widen, run new irrigation and electrical and and and and")

Bunce rental in Tacoma/puyallup offeres U-cart concrete, a halfyard is $80ish and a full yard is like $120ish. Trailer and concrete included. I'm sure there are other places offering similar small batch/haul it yourself in their dump trailer arraignments. Ive looked at it but never have a large enough pour in one shot to justify it versus sakcrete and a mixer.

Fri May 08, 2020 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]