Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 New FBI Qualification Course of Fire 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So this is here in competition but I post it for several reasons.
General discussion and potentially someone to facilitate a range to offer it.

My hope is to generate someone with the right access, time and energy and staffing to offer this.

I have cited 2 links below. Please read their full article and their thoughts on the new course of fire.

Shooting a nationally known standard is a good benchmark for everyone.
Some may be faster in the draw, while others are just more precise (accurate) and some are both and/or neither.

I would like to see a few side stations for folks to just practice that single stage. This is extremely helpful for beginners and more seasoned folks to get the eye and hands doing what is written on the course of fire.

But keeping it consistent - the recorded score should be done in one stage one after another, not broken up into sections.
This would mean more staff (safety officers) and of course more space.

The Course of Fire
This is the new course of fire. It is shot on the same QIT-99 Target as the previous pistol qualification. Fifty total rounds, 2 points for each hit for a total possible score of 100.
Any shots fired over time are not counted (the FBI range uses turning targets, so the targets disappear when the time is up). There are no scoring zones or rings on the target; anything in “the bottle” is a hit. Required scores are the same as they had been (80% for agents, 90% for instructors).

FBI PISTOL QUALIFICATION COURSE, revised Jan 2019
3 yards Draw and fire 3 rds strong hand only, switch hands and fire 3 rds support hand only, all in 6 seconds
5 yards Draw and fire 3 rds in 3 seconds
From the Ready, fire 3 rds in 2 seconds
From the Ready, fire 6 rds in 4 seconds
7 yards Draw and fire 5 rds in 5 seconds
From the Ready, fire 4 rounds, conduct an empty gun reload, and fire 4 more rds, all in 8 seconds
From the Ready, fire 5 rounds in 4 seconds
15 yards Draw and fire 3 rds in 6 seconds
From the Ready, fire 3 rds in 5 seconds
25 yards Draw and fire 4 rds from Standing, drop to a Kneeling Position and fire 4 more rds from Kneeling, all in 20 seconds.

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.co ... ification/

FBI PISTOL QUALIFICATION COURSE, revised Jan 2019. It’s fired on a QIT silhouette, and scored 2 points per hit.

-3 yards Draw and fire 3 rds strong hand only, switch hands and fire 3 rds support hand only, all in 6 seconds

-5 yards Draw and fire 3 rds in 3 seconds
-From the Ready, fire 3 rds in 2 seconds
-From the Ready, fire 6 rds in 4 seconds

-7 yards Draw and fire 5 rds in 5 seconds
-From the Ready, fire 4 rounds, conduct an empty gun reload, and fire 4 more rds, all in 8 seconds
-From the Ready, fire 5 rounds in 4 seconds

-15 yards Draw and fire 3 rds in 6 seconds
-From the Ready, fire 3 rds in 5 seconds

-25 yards Draw and fire 4 rds from Standing, drop to a Kneeling Position and fire 4 more rds from Kneeling, all in 20 seconds.

50 rounds total 100 points possible 90 or above is a pass for instructors.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/ ... ion-course

Cost:
Target $1 each. Buying in lots of 100 would be about $0.60 - $0.75 each
Range fee ? $20
Special Use fee $10
Target stands etc would be provided by range?
Shot timer(s)
Staff for each bay or shooting area (2 each).

4 hour window?

So, if you want to see it at your range. Take it to your board and see if one will champion the idea to do it for the public/members.

Fri May 15, 2020 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before the covid outbreak, we were scheduled to train in Idaho this past April. The Hojutsu course we took last July took us through quals exactly as you describe.

I guess keep an eye on the Hojutsu site for future courses: https://hojutsu.com/

Instructor Jeff Hall was looking for a range in the Seattle area. It is a mixture of martial arts and shooting, so finding a venue for both can be challenging.

Scoring must have been a little different than listed above. Here's my target from my second qualification.

Fri May 15, 2020 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bump.

Hoping to plant a seed and see if it grows...
Need someone to champion this to their indoor/outdoor range and set it up for general public use.

Kind of nice to benchmark your skills to a National Standard.

For the vast majority it’s an eye opener.

Fri May 29, 2020 12:16 pm

I love the idea of this. This qual is very similar in orientation to alot of the "drills of the week" we've been doing over on pistol-forum.com.

I encourage everyone who's serious about defensive pistol craft to participate.

This drill reminds me of the air marshall qual. Difficult, but a good gauge of skill. I will shoot the FBI qual soon.

That said, we'll be hard-pressed to find a public range that allows normal shooting, like this. May he more efficient for folks to agree to meet at a centrally located pit.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the main difficulty is the timer. Securite is the only range around here that I’ve seen which has target carriers that will rotate on a timer.

Other than the timer aspect (you could work around it by using your own shot timer), most ranges should be fine with you doing this drill in a bay. Maybe kneeling could present a problem too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]