Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 How does shooting outdoors legally work? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, I am relatively new to the country recent immigrant from Canada.

I'm not sure how shooting works outdoors? I've been told where I can't shoot (city limits ect.) but I don't know where these city limits end, where they start, what constitutes a legal place to shoot, and whether or not I am allowed to discharge a firearm.

Can anyone give me some idea that an area is okay to shoot a gun in?

Thanks,

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://trashnoland.org/rules.html

Also, check the "Maps" button near the top of this site. Keep in mind DNR land - most of the outdoor areas on the map - are CLOSED to shooting right now because of 'fire hazard'.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, bubblewhip!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:01 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Try contacting WA DNR (Department of Natural Resources). They are usually helpful in providing shooters with coordinates of safe/legal outdoor shooting areas.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stevemcgee wrote:
http://trashnoland.org/rules.html

Also, check the "Maps" button near the top of this site. Keep in mind DNR land - most of the outdoor areas on the map - are CLOSED to shooting right now because of 'fire hazard'.

Thanks, I'm not sure how to interpret the forest icon on the maps. Like where do they start and end? Also any specific rules around national parks?

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The trees are outdoor places, but you have to click on the 'square with an arrow in it' at the upper right of the title box to open a map.

What i do is enter my address to get directions, then convert the map to satellite then zoom in to check out the roads, see what the gavel pit looks like, etc.

Then, when I am familiar enough with the road and satellite maps, I go to another map that has agency boundaries, like my paper Gazetteer map.

Annoying process, I know...

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
Hi, I am relatively new to the country recent immigrant from Canada.

I'm not sure how shooting works outdoors? I've been told where I can't shoot (city limits ect.) but I don't know where these city limits end, where they start, what constitutes a legal place to shoot, and whether or not I am allowed to discharge a firearm.

Can anyone give me some idea that an area is okay to shoot a gun in?

Thanks,

Hi bubble, Welcome to the site and the USA!

Your question is a big one and could take a while to explain! I'll try to keep it short n sweet... (but I doubt it!)

I am assuming you are asking for info on free to shoot public land target shooting, (not a pay to shoot developed range).

Usually rural areas are okay for shooting (counties), however I would suggest search your county website for something like target shooting or discharge of firearm in your county. You could also call your local county Sheriff's office to ask them. A big issue with rural shooting is the neighbors... noise! You'll get complaints unless you communicate to them that you're going to shoot.

Public land target practice generally applies to forest areas that are owned by either the state or federal (National Forests or Bureau of Land Management land) and might even include some county land here or there. Some privately owned timber lands could also be open for shooting but you gotta call and ask first. Each area has their own set of rules, however, most are all common to each other. And most of those rules are simply common sense things that any responsible gun owner would, (or should), know.

On state and federal lands, look up their websites for their rules and special closures. If you can't find info on the forest you want to go to, call a district office and ask. They'll be happy to help. Here's a link to most common rules, along with a couple links on that page to some forest agencies, that will get you started with typical requirements anywhere you go... http://trashnoland.org/rules.html

As for how to tell where boundaries and property lines start and end, I would suggest a map app for your phone, like onXmaps Hunt. It costs about $30/yr for one state. It shows you who owns the land and where the property lines are. It uses GPS to locate you on the map so you can see who's land you are on. It can tell you lots of stuff like where the trails are, current fire activity and more. A good tool to have when you're in the woods. There are lots of videos online about onXmaps.

Once you have a base foundation of knowledge of where you can shoot and what the basic rules are, join up with someone who has experience and go shoot with them. Before long, you'll be an old pro!

I run a non-profit organization called Trash No Land. I'd encourage you to visit that website to learn more about responsible target shooting on public lands. http://trashnoland.org/

Enjoy, be safe and Trash No Land!

Bill

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take me grandson out to Darrington to shoot at the pits.
If you want to check them out pm me and you can meet me in Arlington and follow up up there.

The pit we go to is a split lever pit, the lower pit & the upper pit. You can get right around eighty yards at either pit.
What type of guns did you want to shoot?

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DoveRelease wrote:
I take me grandson out to Darrington to shoot at the pits.
If you want to check them out pm me and you can meet me in Arlington and follow up up there.

The pit we go to is a split lever pit, the lower pit & the upper pit. You can get right around eighty yards at either pit.
What type of guns did you want to shoot?

Generally handguns or .22 would be fine (most of what I can shoot these days now).

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will check and see if it is open at the pit I go to. Like I posted else where there is no (NO SHOOTING) sign there as of Saturdey..
I will let you know.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]