Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FrankJames wrote:
This is an awesome thread. Thank you TW for suggesting it. I have been interested in this for a long time. Wondering if there is another source for these radios than Ebay. (seem to be popular right now) Or should I just bite at 500$.

If you need encryption. Go for it.

If you don't need encryption, get a DMR radio, like THIS or THIS.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

So, it's VHF, but if the case has been changed, it's no longer submersible (the i in xts2500i)

Platform: XTS2500
Flashcode: 1000080004881

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
H38: SmartZone Systems Operation
Q173: SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation
Q361: ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
Q574: 9600 Baud Trunking

He said he got it off ebay, and it came with a new charger and battery, but he never got the programing cable and it just sat in his storage space. It looks brand new until you look under the battery. If I can make this work I'd like to, but I'm not against getting a xts5000 as well if it keeps us all standardized.

It definitely can work. It will need to be modified though.

I don't have the programming cable for that model because I don't use them.

Buy yourself a programming cable (which you'll need anyway), and I'll update it to support FPP and bring it to current firmware. It's an AN radio (older revision) so you're limited to Host R09 anyway, but I'll do what I can. :D

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Buy yourself a programming cable (which you'll need anyway), and I'll update it to support FPP and bring it to current firmware. It's an AN radio (older revision) so you're limited to Host R09 anyway, but I'll do what I can. :D

Pretty sure this is the cable he needs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-Programming-Cable-Support-Motorola-XTS2500-I-II-III-M5K/153567963854?hash=item23c15d2ace:g:vzoAAOSwoB1fSW4p

That's the same seller I got mine from. They have a good reputation

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FrankJames wrote:
This is an awesome thread. Thank you TW for suggesting it. I have been interested in this for a long time. Wondering if there is another source for these radios than Ebay. (seem to be popular right now) Or should I just bite at 500$.

I post earlier in the thread about buying two radios and swapping parts around

Right now you can do that and it's about $227 plus the cost of batteries ($80), antennas ($40) and a charger ($30)

So about $380 and you'll have two radios. You could also sell the 7/800 in the model I case and recoup some of that

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got 3 radios from this seller, for $300 each including the ride... I was trying to hold out for cheaper, but it didn't look like that was going to happen.... I'm not sure chargers were included, forgot to ask... But they were advertised to come with hand mics and antennas.

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XTS5000-Model-III-VHF-Smartzone-P25-Radio-with-Front-Panel-Programming/184442220696?epid=9029948048&hash=item2af19cf098:g:ypkAAOSwag1fWo5U
$375, with mic and a spare battery. not bad. $15 shipping

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Pretty sure this is the cable he needs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-Programming-Cable-Support-Motorola-XTS2500-I-II-III-M5K/153567963854?hash=item23c15d2ace:g:vzoAAOSwoB1fSW4p

That's the same seller I got mine from. They have a good reputation

Ordered the cable from him. Appreciate it!

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

got a couple of mics shipped in today, seem to be in pretty good shape :thumbsup2:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ordered one this morning. looking for two batteries and charger. (comes with 1 used battery, no charger) What say YE? Impress or std? 4200Ah.

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FrankJames wrote:
ordered one this morning. looking for two batteries and charger. (comes with 1 used battery, no charger) What say YE? Impress or std? 4200Ah.

Impres batteries are useless without an impres charger.

Generally speaking, not really needed unless you're managing a fleet of batteries.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sitting here, messing with the radio, just pushed PTT on MURS ch5 and i hear buzzing in my computer speakers. moved the radio around in front of the comp and sumbich opened up a new tab in my browser and started typing in the address bar.... wtf, over?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
sitting here, messing with the radio, just pushed PTT on MURS ch5 and i hear buzzing in my computer speakers. moved the radio around in front of the comp and sumbich opened up a new tab in my browser and started typing in the address bar.... wtf, over?

:ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the world of RFI/EMI.

You can even set off car alarms, motion sensor lights, etc. from a decent distance, if you have a high power transmitter. Sometimes even a 50W mobile will do.

Google "HERF", if you want another rabbit hole to go down.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did it on MURS 1 and it opened up a new tab and automatically went to some MS Windows support page. this damn thing is a Bill Gates' agent!

:runforthehills:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Google "HERF", if you want another rabbit hole to go down.

somebody should bring this to the Portland protest and roast some antQueefa ass :mulletslayer:

https://youtu.be/DoOT2_Z-GIE

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
did it on MURS 1 and it opened up a new tab and automatically went to some MS Windows support page. this damn thing is a Bill Gates' agent!

:runforthehills:

You're inducing a current into the wires of the keyboard/mouse/etc.

It's basically a miniature, sustained, EMP. So, stop doing that...lol

EMI = ElectroMagnetic Interference

This is why understanding RF is important.

I'm glad you're getting to experiment and learn as you go. There's a lot more to radio than just pushing a button and talking, and you're finding that out. :thumbsup2:

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 38  Next