Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Helmet option on the cheap? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helmut? no, HELMET!

First - i think I don't need a high-cut because MICH was made to go over earphones. Maybe they didn't work so well? I don't understand why almost everyone doesn't get the fuller protection.

I found a Paraclete MICH - III-a - is that any good?

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ACH's are relatively cheap, but hard to source locally. I snagged one off ebay for $105 delivered. Now I need to buy some slim ear pro that'll fit under then, supposedly the $50 Walkers work, other wise I'm going to buy the peltors.

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah you’re supposed to be able to wear heading pro under an ACH, however it generally turns into a pain in the ass. I had pretty good success with Howard Leight ear muffs, but it varies depending on head and helmet size. Generally you have to rearrange all the pads in the helmet so you have a channel for the headband of the hearing protection

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hadn't thought about the headband.

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're going to wear plugs its a non issue, if you're going to use electro muffs, there's some tricks to it. My electromuffs aren't slim enough so no 1st hand experience yet , just what I've read about using muffs with ACHs.

Sportsmans Guide had $150 ACHs recently but didnt list the size, I assume they're mediums. Larges seem to be hard to come by.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2228502
According to reviews/Q&A its luck the draw on sizing

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your planning on running muffs you want to probably go up a size of what you might normally wear. You can arrange the padding so it’ll keep the helmet from slipping around, but you want enough room that the muffs aren’t being forced into the sides of your head.

The MSA sordins with behind the neck wiring are a good option, but you have a harder time getting proper tension on the muffs, especially if you cut the hard tension wire.

Also I guess I should mention the helmet brand you named are perfectly good helmets. It’ll probably be at least 10 years old but should still be fine.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. I found the size I would need without ear muffs and was excited but now I'm not sure if I should do it.

Haven't tried any in-ear style. They seem like big claims but I can't understand how they'd work without electronics.
And ideally by November holocaust I'd like to have comms version ear muffs. I used to use a Bowman style chinese head set. But that was without live ammo going off.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you think you'll need it, I'd recommend buying it. Buy a large and if for whatever reason it doesn't work out you'll easily be able to sell it.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 am

Yes Steve that helmet would be good.

ACH are available online as surplus, and one of my guys just found a MSA ACH down in Tullicum. They're out there.

Wearing them with ear pro is fine. My Peltor Tactical 100 fit just fine under my ACH, large. Can wear it all day in comfort.

Bonus, that ear pro has a 3.5mm jack, can plug into my hand mic-poor man's Sordins.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Army Helmet Size Medium - $45 (Auburn)
https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/spo/d/auburn-army-helmet-size-medium/7193322139.html

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:32 am

ACH can be found online cheap. If you want a nice high cut cheap, check out the Hard Head Veterans helmet.

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered a high cut off of Ballistic Armor Co.

Now the wait, at least when it ships it will get here fast as they are a Renton company I believe

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hillyard wrote:
I just ordered a high cut off of Ballistic Armor Co.

Now the wait, at least when it ships it will get here fast as they are a Renton company I believe

They are in Medford Oregon.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone is selling an old PASGT helmet on Craigslist
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/d/tacoma-pasgt-military-surplus-ballistic/7191782829.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/for/d/tumwater-kevlar-helmets/7192999383.html

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They're getting harder to find and with guns and ammo and armor prices, helmet prices are increasing.

I have two ACH surplus purchased a years ago for $100 each, and recently bought another ACH and a PASGT (you can buy a cheap ACH internal replacement padding) for relatively cheap, around $70 each. Helmets are valuable. Got 3 in my size (XL and L) for adult men, and one in a Medium for a female or youth. I paint them for different terrain/seasons.

As for the ear pro, I had no problems with ear pro and the ACH design. My electronic peltors fit snugly under the ACH. I never understood the move for the newer headgear to reduce the level of coverage. Granted, it's a nuisance if you have to remove or don ear pro wearing an ACH, but the added coverage is worth the hassle.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next