Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my programming cable!!! What next?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i haven't even plugged mine in yet.
been playing around and figuring out how to connect to repeaters and stuff. need to work on getting that exam done, ugh...

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
i haven't even plugged mine in yet.
been playing around and figuring out how to connect to repeaters and stuff. need to work on getting that exam done, ugh...

You should not be 'connecting to repeaters' without a ham license...

icon_eek

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i don't know if "connecting" is the right term
just listening on the frequencies of those repeaters, programming their info into the radio etc.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found on the OK forum:
"READ THIS: Antifa are using radios, and this is how you can assist in exposing them.

Radio nerd here. (73 y'all)

I've seen pictures of people getting arrested and one thing I've noticed is that every now and again I'll see an FRS/GMRS radio with some of these rioters.

What does that mean? Well, it means they're organized. And you can be too.

As a radio operator, when we do events and such a common thing to do is to set up a "net control" or central command or some sort of base station. This station will have high power and an effective antenna. People can then meander around with an HT (handheld radio) and communicate back to the base.

This is effective in that two HT's, which are lower power and don't have a nice antenna profile, can communicate via the base station (otherwise known as a repeater).

This can work in a couple of different ways. In repeater mode, the HT's can all communicate with the higher power repeater and it rebroadcasts and everybody hears it. Or there might be a net control operator, the HT's communicate with net control (a person) and net control responds with advice or orders or some sort of information they wouldn't otherwise have.

This radio right here is one that is inexpensive and that I've seen used by people getting arrested. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BXCF85T/

Knowing radio technology, I can take an educated guess and say they're using GMRS. Here's why, a nice chart that shows the overlap between FRS and GMRS frequencies: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.p ... nnel_chart

You'll notice peak FRS power is 2w while GMRS peak power is 50w. If they're following legal operating power, which a lot of radios require in hardware, then that means they're operating between the frequencies of 462.5500 - 467.7250.

What does this mean and what can you do?

Well you can get a GMRS radio and antenna and listen and record. This is evidence if they're coordinating criminal activity and could help in a RICO case.

So what to do... Keep in mind this is a "line of site" radio technology, so everything's within a mile or so.

Option 1: You can spend $20 on the same radio I posted (or any GMRS radio) and set it to scan between the above frequencies. You're free to roam around.

Option 2: You can get a GMRS radio (even the HT) and use a vehicle mounted antenna. This will use the vehicle as a ground plane and have much better reception, around 3.5dBi. Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWYVM94

Option 3: You can get a base station antenna and radio, this will have the most gain (up to 6.5dBi) with this antenna, but you're not going to be mobile. Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784FQ9VB

They're talking to each other and coordinating right under your nose, this is how you go about listening in. Record any crimes. **** it, give them false orders too. Don't let them own this technology, we can use it too.+

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something I just wanted to insert here, Those of you that are designing DIY antennas need to start thinking about SWR (Standing Wave Ratio). It's not that you can't use just any length of wire to make an antenna, but if you don't address SWR, You could fry the Finals out of your new radio, and it becomes an expensive brick. This is not an issue with most rubber Ducks, but Dipoles, Jpoles, verticals, a hunk of wire, etc. need to be "tuned" to get as close to your target Freq. (resonant). That's part of the reason you can't use a VHF ant. on UHF, HF. also why most hams have a antenna farm in their back yards. You can listen all day long on a untuned piece of wire, just not transmit. Can go down the learning rabbit hole thru the inet. Happy research!

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

taking my ham test in about 5 minutes
:rockout:

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right on

Best of luck!

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Passed it!!! :wagwoot:
29/35

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
Passed it!!! :wagwoot:
29/35

:thumbsup2:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! Congrats! I'm inspired.

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i had to wait 2 hours as my comp had audio issues (mic was disabled via privacy settings denying mic access to apps) and they kept putting me in the back of the line
then after i got audio figured out and they came back to me it appeared that you have to have 2 devices (phone and your comp) with audio and video enabled on both, i got my ass chewed out by one of the geezers on the testing committee for not reading the requirements and when the geezer questioned if there was a language barrier (i'm assuming he assumed by me having a foreign name) i almost told him to go eff himself... but i bit my tongue and got on with it
oh well, it's done and over with :bigsmile:

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is the web site to take the exam?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
What is the web site to take the exam?

i went through https://hamstudy.org they have multiple clubs administering tests https://hamstudy.org/sessions

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 38  Next